Self Service Tills...

spursmaddave

Why is it you can go to a Supermarket, select all your own shopping, scan the shopping yourself, bag it all yourself, pay for it and collect your own change.... and then pay the same as everyone else? :shrug:

Mind you I always press the button that says I used my own bags so I get the extra Nectar Points :ninja:

Because........

- Its quicker

- You bag as you scan so you've not got the embarrassment of the next customer scowling at you when you take ages to bag your stuff up

- You are spared the sallow faced old cow/overtly happy and chatty old mare/bulldog licking **** off a thistle miserable teenage girl/hormonal teenage boy who really makes you wonder if he's washed his hands/strange middle aged man who really must be a convicted pedophile out on licence or individual with severe mental issues who keeps whacking their own head when ever they scan fruit - who works on the till.

- The inevitable hold up while the till operator has to call Jackie her supervisor to go and check how much a Dragon Fruit is.

- The inevitable hold up whilst the doley in front of you queries the price on his 47 pence jar of kidney beans that was on offer for 32 pence but doesn't seem to have scanned through 'Jackie to till 13 please, thats Jackie to till 13 customer waiting)

- The woman behind you who only wants to buy milk but your too stressed from your own shop to let her in front of your 4000 items.

- Bags are freely available so your not scowled at by said above employee when they say 'do you NEED bags????'.......answering yes will be met with a look thats normally reserved for someone who's raped a baby seal.

Sure there are draw backs but I can't be bothered going through them..........go with the flow Dave - enjoy the power.

No way I hate those things!!! They are the work of the devil!

I spend my life working on computers last thing I want is to use them when I go to the scroat Market .

They always try to get you to use them but I make a point of telling them how much I hate them.

I would rather go to the till where Janet or Doreen is sat there willing to help you get your shopping scanned at super fast speed, sure she is bored and fed up but some of them are actually quite nice and helpful honest .

They do this all day I don't. I have to look at the product and find the barcode, swipe it 5 times before if takes it and of course they never work with own brand fresh baked doughnuts as the label is duff, so you still have to wait for Maureen with her over ride keys and gives you a dirty look because you are the problem not the crappy barcode labels! :angry:

So stuff the autotills that talk to you with a 500

Decibel volume ' place the item in the bagging area' I will stick a soddin lump hammer in your bagging area in a minute!!

It's the 5 minute delay between every action .....

I know they eventually want all the tills to go the same so its cheaper for them but hey are no where near as entertaining as the till girls and the best bit is they open the carrier bags for you - I still can't suss those puppies , made for robot hands not human me thinks?

Rant over - auto till get lost ! :D:snack:

I hate them aswell, unfortunately - I'm one of the unfortunate ones that have to repair these pieces of crap when they inevitably break :rant:

A certain supermarket are now rolling these out big time, theres one store at the moment that either is or well soon be entirely self service

I would rather go to the till where Janet or Doreen is sat there willing to help you get your shopping scanned at super fast speed, sure she is bored and fed up but some of them are actually quite nice and helpful honest .

I have to laugh because despite my defense of the auto till me and Carla actually try and find 'Pat' the middle aged mental woman who loves a chat because she's such a laugh. I love watching her insisting on chatting away to anyone who passes her domain regardless of the interest that they show.

It actually ruins the whole shopping experience when she's not on.

There are certain items which have a security tag and you need to wait for a member of staff to come along and help you. So how does it save on staff. :shrug:

Because they only have to have 1 members of staff supervising a set of 4/8 self checkouts as opposed to 8 people on 8 tills ;)

I use them every time I go shopping, much faster than standing in a queue, I'm in and out in under 5 minutes. The only annoying thing is having to get certain items approved by the till person. O.K, alcohol I can understand, but why do fibre drinks need approving :wacko:

Pete

I LOVE these things!! if your not a complete dipstick you can get through a whole trolley without needing an assistant and can do it faster than waiting in the checkout queue.

Its ace, and you don't feel like someone is assessing how optimistic you are when you buy some mince, bolognaise sauce, ben and jerrys ice cream and a bumper pack of condoms.

I dont like mixing with the great unwashed, so use Ocado most of the time and when I do have to go to an actual shop I want to be in and out before some mum of my mate when I was 5 sees me and wants to know my whole life story since my mum last saw her about 15 years ago :lol: Self scan FTW, its quick simple and easy (for us young-uns!)

Because........

- - You are spared the sallow faced old cow/overtly happy and chatty old mare/bulldog licking **** off a thistle miserable teenage girl/hormonal teenage boy who really makes you wonder if he's washed his hands/strange middle aged man who really must be a convicted pedophile out on licence or individual with severe mental issues who keeps whacking their own head when ever they scan fruit - who works on the till.

I work on the tills at Tesco............

How the hell do the supermarkets police people not scanning items and just walking out with a half scanned trolley of goods??

The till weighs the goods when you put them in the bag, any discrepancy and it pauses the system and awaits help from the staff. :thumbs:

I feel an audition for 'Grumpy Old Men' coming on...and all at the tender age of 30! Ah, the joy of ranting...!

On the plus side, self-service can be useful for what I like to call 'stealth' purchasing, however, avoid the Morrisons ones - notoriously poor software - so just when you thought you'd successfully sneaked your box of 'Just for Men' :blush: in there without anyone noticing, the f@cking thing throws a benny and it's game over sunshine...

Sadly these things also carry the same major pitfall as does empowering the public to do their own check-ins at airports - you are ALWAYS waiting for ages behind some d!ckhead who hasn't got a clue what they're doing and who has clearly ventured into a realm far beyond their capabilities.

And another thing...

Now, I have nothing against shop assistants whatsoever, did the job myself for a bit whilst at uni - in fact, I have nothing against anybody who works; they do a job, and every job needs doing by somebody and I actually quite like it when people take the time to be chatty or friendly whilst understanding in equal measure the one who rather wouldn't.

BUT, why oh why am I to be asked if I need help with my packing?

What a stupid question: Do I need help putting things into a bag?

Well I didn't need help walking around the shop and putting them into my basket! Grrr....

Don't even get me started on the aisle hoggers... :angry::angry:

:rant:

I feel an audition for 'Grumpy Old Men' coming on...and all at the tender age of 30! Ah, the joy of ranting...!

On the plus side, self-service can be useful for what I like to call 'stealth' purchasing, however, avoid the Morrisons ones - notoriously poor software - so just when you thought you'd successfully sneaked your box of 'Just for Men' :blush: in there without anyone noticing, the f@cking thing throws a benny and it's game over sunshine...

Sadly these things also carry the same major pitfall as does empowering the public to do their own check-ins at airports - you are ALWAYS waiting for ages behind some d!ckhead who hasn't got a clue what they're doing and who has clearly ventured into a realm far beyond their capabilities.

And another thing...

Now, I have nothing against shop assistants whatsoever, did the job myself for a bit whilst at uni - in fact, I have nothing against anybody who works; they do a job, and every job needs doing by somebody and I actually quite like it when people take the time to be chatty or friendly whilst understanding in equal measure the one who rather wouldn't.

BUT, why oh why am I to be asked if I need help with my packing?

What a stupid question: Do I need help putting things into a bag?

Well I didn't need help walking around the shop and putting them into my basket! Grrr....

Don't even get me started on the aisle hoggers... :angry::angry:

:rant:

Ahhh a kindred spirit. 30 is the new 50 mate........its now grumpy 'not quite young enough to still blame stuff on our age but we're not old yet' Men