Self Service Tills...

spursmaddave

Ahhh a kindred spirit. 30 is the new 50 mate........its now grumpy 'not quite young enough to still blame stuff on our age but we're not old yet' Men

Wow remind me to keep well clear of you too grumpy gits when you get to 40! :scare:

F_200612_december08E_78808a.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

The thing is Dave your generation at least can remember a time when things worked properly...........we've literally entered adulthood at a time when the world has been steadily devolving for 20 years so people and processes in general are much more convoluted and pointless.

Its like being 25-30 year old Everton fan........you can't understand why anyone who's older gets out of their box when we don't qualify for Europe......when you've been brought up on relegation battles a comfortable mid table finish will do nicely.

Same theory applies to life these days........if you get back home at the end of the day without being pushed to the point of screaming you should class it as a good day.

How the hell do the supermarkets police people not scanning items and just walking out with a half scanned trolley of goods??

The till weighs the goods when you put them in the bag, any discrepancy and it pauses the system and awaits help from the staff. :thumbs:

You've misinterperted my point.

If you don't scan it, there is no discrepancy with the weight of the items paid for ;)

How the hell do the supermarkets police people not scanning items and just walking out with a half scanned trolley of goods??

The till weighs the goods when you put them in the bag, any discrepancy and it pauses the system and awaits help from the staff. :thumbs:

If you don't scan it, there is no discrepancy with the weight of the items paid for ;)

He means if you try and do a Kansas city shuffle and stick it in your bag without scanning it the till will go bonkers at you.

I assume that's how you meant scrotes would nick stuff.......sticking a bunch of bananas down your kecks wouldnt be too conspicuous!

He means if you try and do a Kansas city shuffle and stick it in your bag without scanning it the till will go bonkers at you.

I assume that's how you meant scrotes would nick stuff.......sticking a bunch of bananas down your kecks wouldnt be too conspicuous!

What I'm talking about is just not scanning it and leaving it in the trolley, scan everything else but not bother with a few items, how are they going to police that?

there is someone standing over 4 tills watching you. the system isn't unmanned its just more efficient on human resource. have a go and you will understand when the till bitches at you for touching the scales when you aren't meant to :lol:

there is someone standing over 4 tills watching you. the system isn't unmanned its just more efficient on human resource. have a go and you will understand when the till bitches at you for touching the scales when you aren't meant to :lol:

One person can't watch 4 tills ;)

One person can't watch 4 tills ;)

No but they are ususally a deterant to stop most people. From what I have seen in my local stores, there is usually a store detective/security station within a few meters with a few screens monitoring the CCTV. Remember they only have to watch the dodgy looking ones, they will assume most people are honest, just not John Barnes lookie likes :lol:

I refuse to use them because of what the represent on a Socio-economic basis. I didn't ask the supermarkets to replace check out people, they decided to for pure efficiency and money saving reasons for their own orginisation, it's not for our benefit.

Also shouldn't my shopping now be cheaper? I am doing the scanning, I am doing the bagging and their staffing costs are reduced by what, if one person can monitor 4 tills instead of just the one till.

For me it's the thin end of the wedge, what will these people do as jobs when they're replaced? If they are low skilled or lack experience what opportunities are there for them? They could go on the dole and claim benefits I guess, but does that benefit society or me as a taxpayer?

"First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me."

First they came for the checkout girl.......and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a checkout girl...

For me it's the thin end of the wedge, what will these people do as jobs when they're replaced? If they are low skilled or lack experience what opportunities are there for them? They could go on the dole and claim benefits I guess, but does that benefit society or me as a taxpayer?

Thats a fair point I'd have to say.......they're just another thing thats been created to 'make life easier' but they inevitably just create more frustration and put someone out of a job.

I dislike the things...

I hate the way they shout instructions at you like you're deaf and retarded.

they're ok if you just nip in for a couple of things and the queues at the tills are huge. Just don't buy a birthday card because its too light to register on the scales!

I refuse to use them because of what the represent on a Socio-economic basis. I didn't ask the supermarkets to replace check out people, they decided to for pure efficiency and money saving reasons for their own orginisation, it's not for our benefit.

Also shouldn't my shopping now be cheaper? I am doing the scanning, I am doing the bagging and their staffing costs are reduced by what, if one person can monitor 4 tills instead of just the one till.

"First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me."

First they came for the checkout girl.......and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a checkout girl...

Finally someone on the same wavelength.... I didn't start this thread to moan about the self service tills being rubbish (they are though) but about me doing all the work and getting nothing back? And the point you make about the checkout girl is very apt too, although you could argue the same thing about motorised road sweepers etc nothing room with someone on the Dole being given a broom!

While there are less till staff employed, there are now more people employed to maintain and produce the automatic tills. So its not like there are less jobs going round, just the jobs are in different sectors.

Very true, and probably a lot more jobs have been lost due to the rise in Internet shopping too...

While there are less till staff employed, there are now more people employed to maintain and produce the automatic tills. So its not like there are less jobs going round, just the jobs are in different sectors.

Don't I know it :bang:

i was thinking of you while writing that :p

You love it really Ian :yahoo:

I like the self service check outs but thats purely because i never really buy more than 5 items at a time so saves me about 10 minutes waiting in a queue.

As someone else pointed out, i also use a few "eco" bags to top up the nectar points ;)

I find the morissons and sainsburys tills the best, why do asda *shudders* use the coin input points from a 1930's slot machine! just make it a belt like the morrisons ones it saves so much time and affort not having to put each coin in!

Hate it when they shout at me for no reason though, you have to get the timing jsut right so it registers the item in the bag without shouting at you because you put it in to early or you havent put it in yet.