whats your thoughts.

Greeny

ok so my Zed is up for sale :( ive just had an email from a guy, who sounds very genuine. he says he is a marine and will be unable to view the car, he has asked for more up to date pics of the car. and asked for me to be completely honest, which i can understand.

he said he would give me the asking price and pay me via paypal then and agent will come to get the car for the shipping etc.

ive never heard of anything like this. im a bit of a screptic. there is no way of scamming me here is there? i always give my paypal email out to get paid fom things so surely this would be ok too?

whats your thoughts?

cheers

scam, scam, scammedy scam.

but if you want to try it and get some details on his unit let me know as i have a couple of mmates in the marines and i shoul dbe able to check some facts off for you.

try and find out who his CO is and from that i can pretty much gaurentee an answer for you.

You guys are giving the scammer too much credit, they only want to illicit one reply from you to gain your email address. once they have it you'll start to get loads of mails such as "Your internet banking has been disabled, please log in asap" etc etc.

Ignore it, unless he has provided a number to call him on. The reason you've not heard of people buying cars like this, is because they don't...........

Greeny, it's a scam, here's some more detail of what exactly the scammers are doing. They'll already have your EMail if you included it in your add but that's not what scammers at this level are after.

http://www.suite101.com/content/car-buy ... al-a215956

That's just one plucked out of the internet at random. Lots of this going on, sadly very little is being done about it.

I do believe that a similar post to yours appeared here a few months ago. BTW, Some things I never do....answer international calls or calls that say unavailable or withheld.

Pete

thats what i thought.

i have just emailed him asking for co and unit now. his name is jack. although the email is joel jack.

interesting article that pete, its sounds the same. ill report him to paypal and to pistonheads.

got interest from a chap in france, but he has already said he is planning on coming over to view the car in person and would pay cash! so dont have a prob with that. he does it often.

cheers for your help guys :thumbs::thumbs:

Liam, have to say that I'd still be very wary about anybody buying from abroad. I'll do some research and see if this another kind of scam :thumbs:

Pete

You'd be surprised how many UK cars actually end up abroad.

true pete but at least he is making the effort to come over and look, and cash is cash :)

but my eyes will be open :)

Even so - only do the deal during banking hours and take him to the bank to pay the cash in so all notes can be checked :thumbs:

You wait next thing he'll say he can only come in the evening or at the weekend :headhurt:

Liam, have to say that I'd still be very wary about anybody buying from abroad. I'll do some research and see if this another kind of scam :thumbs:

Pete

You'd be surprised how many UK cars actually end up abroad.

Fair comment, having just investigated what a second hand Zed costs in France then I can understand why someone would come all the way over here to buy one.

Pete

I put mine up on Autotrader for a month...it cost me £42 and all I had was emails of this nature.

I thought about wasting their time and leading them on a bit for a laugh, but I couldn't even be bothered to reply telling them to stop trying to scam people :lol: . Best to just ignore them altogether and wait for a genuine buyer to get in touch.

Here is a email, after replying to an intital email i received.

I sent a quick email off to pistonheads admin before replying to something like this, turns out i was correct and advised to steer well clear.

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my dad and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Network instillation manager and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.PayPal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...

Thanks.

You should of seen my reply.