The 350z-uk PET thread!

Stew

So last week I had the flu which meant I was housebound and BORED. Armed with only a camera phone, some pet cats and the cardboard tube from a kitchen roll/snot rag dispenser I took these snaps. Turns out cats look like weird moon faced James Bond baddies when photographed in this method ;)

13173789_10154800001240021_3034972051725632495_n.jpg?oh=53fdb50304e6b17f7dc20c4908e1c066&oe=57E38BFE

13102865_10154800001170021_7221954598488036521_n.jpg?oh=1a7143214891f66cdb4a43b88d047269&oe=57B160B7

and since I've been promising a pic of poor forgotten Nismo....here he is!

13164375_10154800001200021_2279957749199212177_n.jpg?oh=f093e2478a4ac9dc1403040115fcb813&oe=579A1F9C

• Like 6

He's back!!!!!!!!

I didn't report this at the time but one of my male bengals went missing on January 31st. Despite extensive searches both internet and physical there was no sign of him and no one had seen him. Well, yesterday I spotted him on an animal rescue centre site (NCAR) about 15 miles away and even though he'd been reserved for someone else they were happy to let me take him home once I'd proved he was mine. Brought him home today :yahoo: . Seems he was found over 3 miles away had been rehomed once, then taken back to the animal rescue due to his behaviour. He also came home missing some vital parts so he's just a pet now ;)

P1016955_zpsaoiumf6g.jpg

Pete

• Like 6

Some more background. As in the rest of the U.K, the prevailing wind here is from the South West, this would usually mean that any scents he would pick up would come from an area that is unpopulated, just a few farms a mile or two away, I believe that cats can sniff out females up to five miles away :surrender: . However, the evening he went missing the wind was from the North West and it was really stormy too, so my best guess is that he picked up a scent that came from an area he was unfamiliar with and basically got lost. The fact that he was picked up 3 miles away to the North would seem to bear this out. Anyway, it's just a matter of letting him settle down for a few days before we let him out again, now he's been snipped he shouldn't wander off again. He's also been chipped, something I should have done in the first place.

Pete

Here are the kittens at 7 weeks old in a rare picture of tranquility. Their main hobby now is tearing around the house, climbing my legs (ouch) and eating.

P1016966_zpsugcovlf1.jpg

There are some new arrivals to report as well :) . Our Snow bengal gave birth to 4 kittens on Sunday morning. These are not pure Bengals as she escaped, went missing for 3 days and arrived back home pregnant :surrender: . From the variation in colour it looks like they have different fathers too! I'll get some more photos up in the next few days but here is the best I can do for now.

P1016967_zpsuy5gratd.jpg

Pete

• Like 3

Here are the kittens at 7 weeks old in a rare picture of tranquility. Their main hobby now is tearing around the house, climbing my legs (ouch) and eating.

Pete

Pete, I think you need to invest in a pair of chainsaw pants, otherwise your legs will look like a pincushion! :lol:

• Like 1

We also completed phase 2 of our cattery on Sunday. I looked at lots of ways of securing the cats in and keeping strange cats out. Most solutions involved 8 to 10 foot high posts with a curved or angled piece at the top. Problem was that while this secured our cats a determined tom cat would possibly get in. So in the end we went for 6 foot high posts completely enclosed by a wire mesh roof with a short tunnel connecting the living quarters to the extended area. Next up is some cat furniture, artificial turf, a small living area inside the enclosure, a storage area for cat litter, food,etc and maybe in the future a further extension. Cost of phase 2 was in the order of £250 for the wood, mesh, lock, screws, brackets and other odds and sods (I think we broke half a dozen drill bits for example :lol: )

P1016968_zpse3zt4ln5.jpg

Pete

• Like 1

So by my count that's 11 kittens at the moment, are you planning on starting a zoo? Can we all visit? I'm a sucker for a cute kitten. Keep up with the pics :thumbs::)

The vast majority of the kittens will be rehomed. One of the kittens we bought as we didn't have a fully intact male and its possible we may keep another one. One of the kittens has already been reserved and will leave just as soon as he's old enough.

Pete

When we went to pick up Rafiki he was one of 5, I was trying to convince Claire we should take all five so as not to split them up and none of them had been homed yet. She wasn't having any of it as she didn't really like cats at the time. Although having said that she adores Rafiki now, the most well pampered kitten I have ever seen and think she would come round to the idea of getting some more in the future.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on our 2 litters of kittens. Litter 1 are now 10 weeks old, here they are snuggling up to Poppy who is not their mum but she tolerates them really well.

P1016982_zpscaqpfifd.jpg

Here's litter 2, not too much is known about these kittens as mum keeps moving them into dark corners or at one stage on top of a wardrobe :surrender: . They have however opened their eyes and are 12 days old and there are at least one male and female.

P1016976_zpsflonqiny.jpg

Pete

• Like 6