Wallet friendly alternative to MPS4s

hicksi

Evening team, hope your all good!

Currently sporting a MPS4 with a huge circular gouge on the wall, due to me running the Zed up the road to blow the cobwebs off and running that wheel practically flat... ouch. I know. Tw@@t

All other corners are Nice and healthy, so ill be replacing with a fresh PS4. But it has me thinking...

Is there a cheaper alternative to the PS4s, I am well aware quality and grip are sacrificed for cost, I do not expect the same tyre just cheaper. I don't drive the Z as much as I used to, and its certainly not driven as if it was on a track. Is there a tyre that is more wallet friendly, aimed at spirited Sunday drives and the occasional blue lit razz to tescos?

My logic is if there are reliable tyres at below the 85-95 make, I may be tempted. If we only talking a reduction to say 100-120 I'd just give up and stick with the PS4s...

Thanks in advance all! 

As above, only 2 options here. 1 New PS4 or 4 new cheaper options. If there is lots of life in the other 3 PS4, you can sell them on and make a few quid back but even in that situation, its probably cheaper to buy 1 matching tyre.

Edited by Willsy1980

Alternative to the PS4? There’s a couple, but they’re about the same price and arguably not quite as good. Anything else and, depending on driving style, you will notice a lack of grip & braking and tbh for what the difference actually is to those I’m not sure I’d bother. 

Unless you’re planning on moving to silly budget tyres for the purpose of the car actively moving around underneath you, I can’t say it’s worth the drop. 

Morning guys, thank you both for the honest responses.  

I've always wanted to ask the question, but have a clear answer now. I've always driven the car since I bought it on PS4s and I am just used to the predictable grip and handling I don't know any better as I have never tried anything else. 

It's an obvious no brainer, if for a few quid less the car is just going to start moving around...

Do you guys run PS4s or a different tyre?

PS4 for me on my MX5. I’d go for PS4S on 19” or above though. 

A very real benefit to running PS4 is the incredible life you get out of them, so even if you couldn’t care less about the performance side then penny per mile they actually work out cheaper than any credible alternative. 20k miles out of a set of rears for me, and that’s on 10k miles a year 50% commute and 50% proper thrash. Can’t really complain at that at all :) 

I've had MPS4S the last few times and was so impressed I put them on my wifes roadster as well. I thought they were better than the MPSS that I had before and I've read that the MPS4 isn't far behind. 

That said, I've heard good reports on Falken FK510(?), don't last as well but good grip.

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

I've had MPS4S the last few times and was so impressed I put them on my wifes roadster as well. I thought they were better than the MPSS that I had before and I've read that the MPS4 isn't far behind. 

That said, I've heard good reports on Falken FK510(?), don't last as well but good grip.

Thanks sim, leads me onto my bid, I’ve been using Falken 510s ( main reason they were ranked in top 10 tyres for 18” and they were top 3 I think for grip in the wet) and literally as mentioned, really good grip in general  but I don’t do copius miles so they’ve lasted me a long while but still same sort of budget, sounds weird but I prefer the logo and the visuals of tread 😂 sounds silly I know! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sim said:

Had the Falken FK, cant remember if they were the 510 or 512 ? But as you say, grip was superb but they were a soft compound and were soon chewed up.

Either way, both the Falken and PS range are way better than the crappy Bridgestones they put on the Nismo as standard, god awful tyres.

• Like 2

Guys this info is priceless thankyou. No joke intended 😄

I too have been told the Falkens are a great tyre. Pretty much by anyone I've asked the question to.

Azure, your not alone, I do like the look of those side walls!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hicksi said:

Guys this info is priceless thankyou. No joke intended 😄

I too have been told the Falkens are a great tyre. Pretty much by anyone I've asked the question to.

Azure, your not alone, I do like the look of those side walls!

Thanks for the company haha! 

I noted you did say specifically alternative, not an equivalent, important to note that distinction and difference! MP4's are expensive because they are pretty damn well great. As an alternative as you slide down the price scale you hit some still really good brand names with good tyres. They wont perform as well on most of the usual measures but note you are not looking at a 50% drop or anything in measures like stopping distance or lateral g's its going to be a much smaller margin than that. The MP4's yes last well, how long you keeping the car for? If its a keeper then this measure of value is important, if you intend to move it on in 6 months it really isn't. 

So work out what you use the car for, how much, your own driving style, where you intend to use the car etc. and make the best call on tyre based on that. Ultimately, there are not swathes of cars without Michelin/Goodyear or whatever scattered across the country in ditches, in fact I have seen plenty in ditches with Michelins on, its respecting the car and its limits, tyres and everything else. Whatever you go for, make sure you safely and legally work up to their limits and know what they can and can't do and drive within that. But I would get over the cost difference, tyres last ages in reality, it costs £100 to fill up the car, why baulk at £100 more on a pair of tyres?

• Like 2

On 02/02/2022 at 10:07, Ekona said:

20k miles out of a set of rears for me, and that’s on 10k miles a year 50% commute and 50% proper thrash. Can’t really complain at that at all :) 

With PS4s?

I can't get my crappy Potenzas to wear down - they seem to have as much tread left (and that's loads!) after nearly 3k miles since I bought my Z a year ago. I can't justify binning them, so I'm probably stuck with them for another 12 months at least! 

I take it easy in the wet/damp with the Z anyway and in all honesty the Potenzas seem fine in the dry whilst commiting to some lairy driving, although if I jumped into a Z with MPSs fitted I'd most likely feel the difference.

Edited by Loadmaster
  • Like 1

I have PS4S's on my Nismo and they were definately worth the investment over the original Dunlops (hideous tyre that tramlined on everything), its a totally different car and showing minimal wear on the tyres after 10k, well worth spending more per corner.  On my old banger 350 I use Falken FK's (from FK501 through to whatever they are now), I rarely get 10k out of the rears but they provide decent grip.

• Like 1