My brothers 1000hp goal

GranTurismoEra

Hes adamant that 600hp is not enough. Its a 2jz auto. Which a manual conversion might be an option. He wants a 1000hp engine. Might be some years but he's already ordering parts in process of getting a big brake kit for £2000. He also does 70 hour weeks to fund it. Does anyone here have experience of an 800hp or more Toyota Supra 2jZgte? 

Ive watched videos from US, Canada, Japan and Eastern Europe. One I notice is that none of these Supras are driven at the limit but mostly in Neutral and inconsistently. I remember the youtube video 'supra from hell', sure was funny at the time. It was probably the point where GTR wasnt an option anymore.

I told him to expect to spend in the region of £20,000-£30,000. For someone who doesn't earn a great amount of money we are talking a few years project. I already told him 600hp is more than enough for the streets. The obsession with power and living on Youtube has taken over.

In UK im well aware the dmo llf clan on YouTube are claiming 800-1000hp and 210mph in M5 and E63. Theyve had guests with 800+ hp.

Im just wondering how feasible is it to drive on our golden British roads which are 80% wet and potholed. Many choose not to track or even drag these cars. Any experience with these levels of power? Sure hes his own man and will do it. Thats his dream. Im only concerned it may land him in trouble :lol:

Apologies for the essay.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Utterly pointless. In most cases 200bhp is plenty for the road, hell even in a boggo 350 DE you’re still holding plenty back unless you’re a moron. 

And how many revs is 1000bhp gonna be usable over on a 3.something engine? Maybe you’ll hit max boost at 5k rpm and have it until 7k? Okay I’m guessing here, but it’ll need a big turbo and big boost which means a ton of lag: Where can you plant your foot for that long outside of a drag strip? 

Now if he’s building it all himself and the thrill is in the engineering side not the driving, 100% I can understand that and fully support it. But if it’s for the drive, it’s a huge waste of time and money. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

I've got 600+ and there's no way it can be driven at full pelt on the roads ... 0-100mph in 6.5 seconds is licence losing territory ... nice for a quick overtake though :)

And that’s in a modern car with PDK designed on a budget of millions, too. On a 90’s classic car with a slow old auto box, it’s hardly going to be cutting edge usable. 

3 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Utterly pointless. In most cases 200bhp is plenty for the road, hell even in a boggo 350 DE you’re still holding plenty back unless you’re a moron. 

And how many revs is 1000bhp gonna be usable over on a 3.something engine? Maybe you’ll hit max boost at 5k rpm and have it until 7k? Okay I’m guessing here, but it’ll need a big turbo and big boost which means a ton of lag: Where can you plant your foot for that long outside of a drag strip? 

Now if he’s building it all himself and the thrill is in the engineering side not the driving, 100% I can understand that and fully support it. But if it’s for the drive, it’s a huge waste of time and money. 

I think he prefers twin turbo over single large turbo. I was asking when he would be getting it. Most likely after the brake kit and cant see it being cheap at all. £8,000 for the kit alone? 

Hes not building it himself. He wont even wash his own car lol. Its going to be a third party.

6 minutes ago, Ekona said:

And that’s in a modern car with PDK designed on a budget of millions, too. On a 90’s classic car with a slow old auto box, it’s hardly going to be cutting edge usable. 

Then maybe a manual gearbox conversion because sequential shifter cost will leave the average guy in tears 

If it’s not a self build, then he’s in dreamland. He’ll never get the chance to use it, and labour costs alone will be the cost of another fun car he could actually use to 100%.

What next after 1000bhp? 1200? 1500? At what point will he stop? 

Question, does he actually use the current 600bhp all the time? 

I had a 500hp Supra and it was a bit much tbh. I hope with that sort of power he’s investing in a traction control setup :lol:

400 is the sweet spot for a road car IMO :)

like most people who modify cars, it’s certainly not done with a sensible hat on ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

If it’s not a self build, then he’s in dreamland. He’ll never get the chance to use it, and labour costs alone will be the cost of another fun car he could actually use to 100%.

What next after 1000bhp? 1200? 1500? At what point will he stop? 

Question, does he actually use the current 600bhp all the time? 

its still stock pretty much and it hasn't been driven in over 18 months. Just stored at the moment

The words pretty much stock & 600hp don’t really go together :lol:

600hp requires a big single turbo and a fair amount for work and tbh the jump from 600 to 1000 isn’t as big as the jump from stock to 600hp. He’s likely to have most of the supporting mods already in place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

Interesting race at the end 

I live 10 - 15 minutes away. Spotted another 370Z there...Easy place to get nabbed by police. Good find. Looks like single Turbo. Fast no doubt. Must have hit 130 mph there, not a smooth road either 

Power band is like ekona mentioned, 2.5k not huge. Would need race cams or built engine to rev longer. Getting into technical territory. 

Rickys car at the time was 750 hp with methanol kit but the DCT and more efficient turbo. This guy would have needed 950-1000hp or just better rev range/power band

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

The words pretty much stock & 600hp don’t really go together :lol:

600hp requires a big single turbo and a fair amount for work and tbh the jump from 600 to 1000 isn’t as big as the jump from stock to 600hp. He’s likely to have most of the supporting mods already in place. 

true, yeah i meant that 600hp should be sufficient power in a 1500kg car. Would beat a stock GTR.

The biggest hindrance right now is getting the Single or Twins turbos as well as Supporting mods totalling well over 10k havent spoken about labour costs fitting them. Gearbox swap, new Dashboard, new wheels on top of the brake kit. 

Crazy money. Yeah at least £15-£20,000....

Edited by GranTurismoEra

It really wouldn’t beat a stock GTR. Traction is a massive issue in a big turbo Supra. 

My 2JZ was built for 1000hp and the engine work was around 8k but that was years ago. 

Does he have 600hp currently or does he just think it’s not enough?

53 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

He assumes it wont be enough and still stock. I meant in a rolling race its close. Was yours single or twin turbo?

Twin hybrid turbos when I bought it, Borg warner single turbo after the engine got forged. Would have been good for 700hp but didnt get finished :( 

Life gets in the way. No he hasnt so much as been on a track day. Which im still due to go with my 370. Better off going to an open car park and learning how to drift and counter steer :lol:

With that level of power you need some serious skills. Too Many variables and things that could go wrong.

Even going in a straight line with that level of power is dangerous. As someone mentioned earlier, a system to manage traction, im not sure if the stock LSD can do a job at that power level.

When you start adding it all up youre basically replacing or modifying majority of the moving parts

On 10/01/2021 at 14:53, ilogikal1 said:

Wasn’t the Top Secret Supra in the region of four digit power about 20 years ago?

Maybe but it wasn't necessarily well known what the formula was back then.

Nowadays if you want to go roll racing on the highways of Texas you wanna start at 2000hp....

In the world of VR38 once you go beyond 2100-2200 for any kind of reliability you need a billet block. I think anything over about 1200 you want a billet mains girdle.

Not so up to speed on the 2J - might take 1100-2000hp better due to being an iron block. (and a thick one - much thicker than any RB)

Always makes me laugh, invariably the guy wanting 1000hp hasnt driven anything with more than 400 and even then didnt get full throttle. :lol: 

A good friend of mine has a supercharged LS2 in an S14 200SX, its well over 500hp/ton, about the same as a Huayra.
It doesnt grip at all below about 50mph so is useless as a drag car, while balanced doesnt have the throttle control to be a track car and whenever its hooked up on the road is already breaking the speed limit, see point 1.
Its absolutely hilarious and savagely fast from 60-170 but until recently was getting used twice a year because it was pointless. 

I see a similar thing with fast 1 series bimmers - a map and an intercooler saw mine well over 400hp and close to 550lb/ft of torque, all there from 3K rpm to the redline.
It makes for a scary fast car in the dry - less than half of the people that have driven mine have actually managed full throttle - and a damn near undriveable one in the wet, its will spin at WOT in 5th. 
Ive got loads of experience of genuine fast cars and even after 5 years the sheer pace still scares me from time to time.

And yet there are guys looking for 600, even 700hp out of the same 1400KG RWD car. I cant use 400 on the road without nearly dying and you want nearly twice that? WHY?! 

Seriously, thats the question, its like having a 24 inch dick - some people will be impressed when you tell them but its not like you can actually use it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I guess for me, you said he has to work stupid hours and doesn't have a great salary yet wants to throw a ton of cash at a car he doesn't drive and is even less likely to drive once it gets even more power. You hinted about you tube but is this purely a willy waving exercise and he is after more the notoriety in car circles than actually building a well sorted car that will lay down the power properly and he drive?