Time To Own A Waft Mobile?

Stutopia

I'm doing many more miles than I used to and, much as I love the BRZ on spirited runs, I'm finding that it's a bit noisy (not the exhaust bit), a bit creaky and a bit bouncy on our fabulous roads, when just getting from A to B. I did have my heart set on a Mustang, but I can't really think of a way I'm going to enjoy all that power and keep my licence, obviously the non-V8 isn't an option. 370, 911, Cayman were also considered but the same thing applies and practicality is limited. I had set aside a 30k ish budget for the Mustang, but am increasingly minded that a two car solution is the way forward. A circa £20k waft mobile for daily life and a circa £10k track toy for getting my need for speed lust, without endangering my licence.

On my radar for wafting are the:

• 640d 
  • M235i (I know this isn't technically waft, but it's a half way house)
  • Infiniti Q50 3.5H (save the planet!) 
  • Jag XF 3.0D V6 S 
  • Merc E350 CDI AMG Sport

I know diesels kill polar bears and make a crap noise etc. but I hate polar bears and a good noise isn't a particular consideration when looking for something quiet to crunch miles. I like the idea of the Infiniti, mainly because you don't see many and it's got loads of toys as standard. The Mercs are on there as a token gesture. The Jag is on to stop me getting beaten up by angry Brexiteers (this is a joke before anyone wets themselves). Naturally I intend to drive all of them before spending any money, but I've not driven any yet.

Anyone driven any? Anyone got any other contenders? Have I gone bonkers? 

I don’t think you’ve gonr bonkers. Once owning a wafter you won’t look back. I’m only in my mid 30s and even my project car has wafting capabilities 

Could see myself in all the examples above. A lot of car to be had for 20k

i know the current Lexus range can be a bit marmite in terms of styling but they waft pretty well, f sport suspension helps, lots of toys like the Infiniti  and they all have hybrid options 

I love the current shape C-Class to look at, but it was really dull on a test drive.  I drove the c220d and it had no urgency what so ever.  Compared to my wife's BMW 320d it felt really pedestrian. I assume the E-Class may be similar?

Test drive a Mustang if you haven't already.  It's still quite wafty... it's not really a precision instrument. :lol:

• Like 1

I’ve got an XF 3.0 diesel (prem lux version)

it it is a very wafty and still turns 40mpg on a run. However it’s no slouch and 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and tops out at 155.  Little bit laggy on the turbo when you hit the pedal but I liken it to an aristocratic lady lifting her skirts up to show off a pair of Nike running spikes!!

very well equipped trim wise etc 

Edited by Paul K
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Bentley Continental GT, the ultimate wafter and will go like a stabbed rat should you desire, way more luxurious than anything ever!

Close the thread :lol:

I noticed a few weeks ago these came down to around 20k for leggy examples. Doesn’t get more luxurious for the price and by now have lost the dealer/footballer stigma a bit 

If I was in a position to spend 20k on a daily I’d be looking at a mazza ghibli 

18 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Bentley Continental GT, the ultimate wafter and will go like a stabbed rat should you desire, way more luxurious than anything ever!

Close the thread :lol:

9 hours ago, LRF4N said:

I noticed a few weeks ago these came down to around 20k for leggy examples. Doesn’t get more luxurious for the price and by now have lost the dealer/footballer stigma a bit 

If I was in a position to spend 20k on a daily I’d be looking at a mazza ghibli 

I did find myself perusing the Bentley’s but potential bills had me a bit scared. I didn’t consider the Ghibli, but the same fear still applies. Reckon I’m too scaredy-cat?

6 hours ago, SuperStu said:

I did find myself perusing the Bentley’s but potential bills had me a bit scared. I didn’t consider the Ghibli, but the same fear still applies. Reckon I’m too scaredy-cat?

I have had a few mates with Continentals and they have been faultless, dont get me wrong i am sure they are costly to fix at main dealers but i am guessing there must be decent indies a lot like anything else. Worth a bit of research imho.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I looked into this at length when I bought my Phaeton, while the Jag XF particularly is an exceptional car, for true waftiness you have to have air suspension IMO. 

The reduces the field down to aforementioned Phaeton, Range Rovers, Toerags and other assorted large SUVs, big Mercs and BMWs, the old Jag XK and similarly aforementioned Bentleys. 

I have a V10 Phaeton and its honestly the best car Ive ever owned, its effectively a 35mpg V10 Bentley but Im already considering its shelf life, as a Euro 4 car I already cant drive it into Paris, London will follow next year too.
Im struggling to see past a Bentley Continental as a replacement TBH, its a hell of a lot of car for the money. 

57 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Best full on wafters I’ve driven are Lexus LSs

But sounds like you want more of a sporty cruiser from your list stu?

I think light smattering of GT might be a happy medium, but I'm going to try some wafters and just see if if prefer the full on comfort experience. The only thing I noticed when browsing the Lexi was they all seem a bit underpowered except for the GS 450H. I'm not trying to go fast, but I wouldn't mind a little shove in a straight line.

Remember the hybrids will give you that bit of extra power before the engine does too. My RC300h wasn’t the fastest but wasn’t a slouch off the mark for a cruiser. It ran out of puff at higher revs

Different stroke for different folks. I love the way a Lexus drives

Best thing to do is drive them all and remember to flick through all the Bentley ads between the Germans :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperStu said:

The 6 never really floated my boat, but I’ve always had a soft spot for the S5

Wow, yeah. I didn't know anything about  them, hadn't thought about them. There's a beautiful 07 for 10500 on auto trader. But the interior is red.  4.2FSI.

Would you be buying new and setting the spec?