Z prices

Tom-89

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the pricing of my 350? It's coming with full 12m mot w/no advisories, got a few nice bits fitted and interest in it seems limited...had far too many timewasters - either no shows or agree a price and 'yea I'll send a deposit' and never to be heard of again...- it's considerably less than I paid for it a couple of years ago and has done about 4k since then and only about 500 miles this year which is partly the reason for sale. Is the market just terrible atm?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706136394923?postcode=gu13de&make=NISSAN&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=350 Z&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=5000&sort=sponsored&page=3

Seems a nice car and a decent price for that milage, I don't see any mention of service history? Only think I can think of maybe some mods are putting people off? I know the airbagless wheel would put me off as it would need to be changed for MOT. On the topic of the wheel, did your car have cruise control? If so has the functionality been lost with the aftermarket wheel?

Edited by Colin747

I think it's just a very specific market. Not many people want a 3.5 v6. 

If i ever sell mine I'd advertise on here and wait for the right buyer. I can't be bothered with chancers and time wasters. 

Yours seems well priced considering what you've done to it. People on here are more likely to appreciate the exhaust etc. 

Steering wheel would put alot of buyers off. Can see why you want to return to stock. 

Im sure the exhaust, induction kit and bonnet would sell in the trading section.  

Edited by Kev

22 minutes ago, Kev said:

If i ever sell mine I'd advertise on here and wait for the right buyer. I can't be bothered with chancers and time wasters. 

This. Either wait it out as Kev said, or return to stock/OEM and trade it in/webuyanycar.

The 2nd hand car market for private sellers is on its death bed, the vast majority of sales are done via traders now.

I have thought about putting it back to standard but don't have the space to store the parts or the time to do that living where I do now unfortunately so has to go as it is. 

Ekona: I'm getting a standard wheel for it and wasn't aware the year wasn't in the advert, thought it did it off the reg plate so that's been changed. What other detail would you put in the ad? It lists the mods, the history, the mileage, didn't think it was lacking detail really. 

I recently Sold my Zed this month, put it up for sale with stock touring wheels not many bites, but replaced them to Rays and the phone wouldn't stop ringing in the first week and sold it the following weekend!

Personally I think the mods are very specific and might not be for anyone, baring in mind mine sold for 5300, 84k GT model.

I recently purchased a Z and I specifically looked for ones that were as close to stock as possible - Steering wheel changes really put me off so agree with comments on that.

Definitely agree with it looking flat - The pictures taken of it outside don't help it, the interior ones are much better so would perhaps re-take those.

I would personally focus less on the mods in the advert, put the year and more attention to details (how many keys, FSH, MOT, including private plate). Pictures of alloys also help to show how much curbage!

Where else are you advertising? I've had most luck on piston heads & ebay, I've sold a mk4 golf gt tdi, leon FR and (hopefully) a focus ST from those. Had the least amount of luck from autotrader tbh.

On 25/07/2017 at 11:17, Tom-89 said:

Ekona: I'm getting a standard wheel for it and wasn't aware the year wasn't in the advert, thought it did it off the reg plate so that's been changed. What other detail would you put in the ad? It lists the mods, the history, the mileage, didn't think it was lacking detail really. 

Oops, missed this.

Extensive history: Give me dates, mileage and locations.

Common problems fixed: Just the two mentioned?

Which clutch was put in? When? By who?

Which rad fans? When? By who?

Couple of usual marks, where? Pics?

Your listing is all wrong too, one big paragraph is difficult to scan. Try listing mods like this:

Greddy induction kit

Greddy front strut brace

Invidia Gemini exhaust

Tein S Tech lowering springs

etc.
You put 'Big brembos', well they're just the stock ones aren't they? plus Brembo should be capitalised. Carbon gear shift and Carbon engine cover should not have capitalised Cs if in a paragraph, and it's a gear knob not a gear shift. Actually you've capitalised after every comma, that's the bigger issue.

E2 DLJ is clearly a private plate, is that coming with the car? If not take it off, get the original plate back on and get some photos that aren't either over or under exposed. Choose a single location too, go find a nice park somewhere or a country road layby. Be consistent!

Apart from that it's fine. ;)

I would be happy to share a template of my for sale advert but I don't want to break any rules 

I consider my adverts to be fairly intensive but I like to let potential buyers know exactly what they're getting...i put myself in their shoes as I would always want to know as much as possible before even viewing, then there's less stuff to discuss in my mind and just a case of cosmetic checks and driving to do

Edited by RVSV2824

I am planning on posting my car up for sale very soon on here but unfortunately haven't reached the requirement to post. So maybe I should wait incase anyone thinks it's just an attempt to get it on early. 

There's a link to a "very similar car with a very similar advert" to mine though I'd be happy to share ;)

As a potential buyer, in my experience, you will find a bigger potential market for a standard car. Once the car has been modified you drastically reduce the number of people who will be interested in it. Its funny really as a lot of those people who want to buy a standard car will more than likely end up modifying it anyway, but thats just the way it is.

So, id return the car to stock, get it all polished up nicely and get some really nice quality pictures.

Historically I've bought older desirable cars and enjoyed them whilst returning them to a saleable standard.

By this I mean replacing known problem parts starting with the mechanicals and finishing with the cosmetics always ensuring along the way it's serviced and maintained with extensive documentation to prove work done. My old M3 was a case in point and it left my tenure a much better car than it was originally. Easy enough when wanting to sell a standard car and I've never had an issue selling before. 

The Z was my first foray into modifying but I've tried to keep it subtle in the sense it will still attract a buyer come sale time, unproven ground for me. It's a difficult balance to pull off and inevitably there is always a line between personal taste and the taste of others. In a couple of months the strategy will be tested when it goes up for sale. 

I would say the retention of standard items is a must if you want a car that's desirable to a wider audience and lairy paint or graphics and deletion of safety kit is a no no. Keeping OEM parts removed at least gives you the option to return to standard or sell with the car. The former means aftermarket bits can be sold separately to recoup some of the initial cost.

Massive positives IMO would include the replacement of parts that are known issues on the model and instilling the peace of mind to a prospective owner that these jobs have been done. No guarantee obviously but it helps. I've even sold cars with patchy service histories based on the things I had done whilst owning the car.

Edited by Zeezeebaba