Odd discussion - Sleep related

grahamc

I do this :)

I could always get back to sleep and lie in for hours now days I do well to make the alarm clock I beat it by up to an hour, Like you I had a bad patch a bit over a year ago and was getting 2 - 4 hours sleep but I noticed it!

Tired during the day etc,

Now 11pm to midnight pass out wake 6 - 6.5 hours later - not noticed any problems (yet) If I have a hard day either mentally or physically I will be tired earlier say 10pm so sometimes I fall asleep earlier, I would say 75% of the time I wake up after 7.5 hours sleep but I often still wake after 6 - 6.5 hours, I did some reading I'm putting it down to getting older :shrug:

I'm the same about doctors not going unless I really have to!

Ref falling asleep in X mins - My dad :lol: what a character didn't matter to him what time it was if it was time to sleep he just closed his eyes and went to sleep - it was a gift :lol:

As for my good lady wife - she says Goodnight and if you haven't replied by the time her head hits the pillow your to late she is asleep, I read average is 6 - 8 minutes to fall asleep she does 6 - 8 seconds :lol:

However she has more recently complained that she can't stay asleep especially on a Sunday morning when she would like a lie in (just cause you can) she is still up before 7am - no side affects just can't sleep like we used to.

To keep things on an even level my eldest daughter can sleep for days literally, Mon - Fri up at 7am for work Friday night she will go to bed late and can happily sleep until late afternoon on Saturday - if we haven't seen her by 2-3pm we usually wake her up - I say it's up to her, she is up for work it's up to her what she does with her free time, and sleep is a cheap hobby :lol:

TLDR: I'm the same as OP so it the wife :)

Good to know..... old age..... may well have to put it down to that.

I used to be like your daughter, but no more.....

• Like 1

I once worked on site with a guy who had no more than 2 hours sleep every night. No insomnia, no illness, his body just didn't need any more sleep. He said he loved it, he used to get so much more done every day because he had these extra six hours that no-one else did :)

• Like 1

The trouble with Afrikaans, and Japanese, and Greek for that matter...is that they are only spoken in one country each, pretty much. You already have such a huge advantage in the world language arena as a native English speaker, it would be a shame to miss teh opportunity to learn Spanish, cos it's **** easy and the most widely spoken language by square kilometre I believe, and Mandarin, as it's the most widely spoken language per capita, and you can communicate on a decent level, with around 80% of the world.

I once worked on site with a guy who had no more than 2 hours sleep every night. No insomnia, no illness, his body just didn't need any more sleep. He said he loved it, he used to get so much more done every day because he had these extra six hours that no-one else did :)

I don't even have words for my jealousy.

Good to know..... old age..... may well have to put it down to that.

I used to be like your daughter, but no more.....

I said "Getting Older" NOT "old age" :lol::wheelchair:

Growing old is obligatory

Growing up - Optional :lol:;)

• Like 4

Exactly how I feel these days. Back then I was like no way I need sleep, now I'm like hell yes I could spend all that time playing Xbox or wanking myself silly :lol:

Nope not buying that - the extra time may be used for Xbox but I don't believe for one second you didn't find time to "**** ya self silly" even when you were a teenager getting 10 plus hours sleep. :p:lol:

PS if you do use the extra time - You'll go blind ya will :lol:

• Like 1

I've been trying to find extra time to play the mobile game CSR2 lately, it's really good, highly recommended, it's a a slow starter and classic freemium model, but doesn't punish you like some of them do, you can always keep going and the loyalty rewards are good. Tuning the cars is rewarding and free (changing settings and doing test runs are free, tuning parts, obviously, are not). When you get to tier 5, skill starts to play a major role, both in tuning and driving. Doesn't beat wanking of course, but it's a less messy alternative. Enjoy. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

The trouble with Afrikaans, and Japanese, and Greek for that matter...is that they are only spoken in one country each, pretty much. You already have such a huge advantage in the world language arena as a native English speaker, it would be a shame to miss teh opportunity to learn Spanish, cos it's **** easy and the most widely spoken language by square kilometre I believe, and Mandarin, as it's the most widely spoken language per capita, and you can communicate on a decent level, with around 80% of the world.

Do agree.... Afrikaans I already know, so just re-learn some of the vocabulary. Afrikaans will make make learning Dutch and German much easier. Japanese is purely because I will be living there for a little while, so would like the basics. No doubt I will try and learn some others as I progress with my travels and Spanish will eventually be on the list.

• Like 1

I manage just fine on 4 to 5 hours most nights and have done so for years with no ill effects. That hour in the morning before everyone else is in is bliss and allows me to get loads done before the phone starts ringing. I have started putting the phone on airplane mode when I go to bed and not turning it on until I've been up and had 30 minutes peace. That has been helpful and a step towards turning the damn thing off permanently. :lol:

• Like 2

Do agree.... Afrikaans I already know, so just re-learn some of the vocabulary. Afrikaans will make make learning Dutch and German much easier. Japanese is purely because I will be living there for a little while, so would like the basics. No doubt I will try and learn some others as I progress with my travels and Spanish will eventually be on the list.

You sound like a man with a plan, hat off to you sir. B)

I found the best way to fall asleep is by simply asking the Mrs how her day was or what her mates are up to on Facebook, works every time :)

But im another 6 hours per night, if I go back to sleep on a Saturday for an extra hour, I just get a headache for the rest of the day. Guess 6 is my number.

• Like 1

I found the best way to fall asleep is by simply asking the Mrs how her day was or what her mates are up to on Facebook, works every time :)

But im another 6 hours per night, if I go back to sleep on a Saturday for an extra hour, I just get a headache for the rest of the day. Guess 6 is my number.

My wife gets day long headaches if she sleeps in too. Just thought you might like to know, you're not alone... :) You're the first time I've heard someone else say it.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2

Doc will prescribe Zopiclone if you are suffering with sleep. Just be wary, you may think you've been asleep when in fact you've been sat up playing Angry Birds all night in a zombified state and don't remember a thing. Still, you'll feel as if you've had a great sleep.

• Like 1

How do you feel when you wake up? As in, the instant you come round?

Every single time I wake up, it's like sudden panic. Gasping. Heart racing, 1000 thoughts per second and that's it then. I'm up.

It takes me forever to get to sleep and generally I'm knackered all day.

Every single time I wake up, it's like sudden panic. Gasping. Heart racing, 1000 thoughts per second and that's it then. I'm up.

That's not sounding good mate :scare:

How long do you sleep for? Can't be enough if you feel tired all day! Hope you get that sorted or has it just always been that way??

My wife gets day long headaches if she sleeps in too. Just thought you might like to know, you're not alone... :) You're the first time I've heard someone else say it.

Yeah it's quite strange really, doctor couldn't explain why it happens either and everything checks out so im not worried. Guess it's my brain punishing me for wasting it by sleeping :)

my sleep pattern changes winter to summer in the winter i sleep from 11:30 to 6:30 solid but in the summer it's midnight to 4 am we even bought blackout blinds made no differance been like this for years with no ill effects

:)

• Like 1

That's not sounding good mate :scare:

How long do you sleep for? Can't be enough if you feel tired all day! Hope you get that sorted or has it just always been that way??

no matter what time I crashed out always feel like craps😊Link to comment

I usually get about 5 hours sleep a night. Id love more, but with a family thats just not possible. I usually am flat out all the time, so struggle to get to sleep as im thinking about all the stuff i need to do the next day. Very often it takes me an hour or more to drop off. Then I usually wake up at 2am to go to the loo. Then 4am the cats wake me up so i have to shut them out, and even if they dont, 5.30am on the dot I am awake. I usually leap out of bed and start the daily chores of feeding cats, cleaning, emptying the cat trays, tidying the house, make my lunch, iron my shirt, have breakfast before the rest of the household wakes up at 8am when I then leave for work.

The wife on the other hand will happily lie in bed oblivious to anything until shes forced to wake up by the kids. Even then her first words every day are "im so tired..."

I have decided to embrace my extra few hours and will sleep with my headphones near me, so that I can start going through the languages I want to learn (online courses, audiobooks, flashcards, etc).

Not a fan of doctors, so they can find another way to get their £7 for a prescription

• Like 1

That can be a symptom of sleep apnea so well worth chatting to your doc

Back to the OP , its a sad fact that many of us struggle with sleep as we get older can be lots of reasons , just in case you didnt see it , this program on sleep on iplayer is well worth a watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q8p13

• Like 1