Ekona

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • SNP
    • Other

1. If the government suddenly decided to tax you an extra 5%, regardless of your income, would you be happy with that on the basis the country needs the extra cash?

2. If there was a perfectly legal and approved way to reduce your tax, like Jimmy Carr but not illegal, would you take that?

1) No, but only because the money would be wasted and i think there a lot better ways to gain revenue than the usual streams, tax, duties (fuel, fags and alcohol), vat etc The whole system needs a massive shake up.

2) Of course, tax avoidance is not illegal, tax evasion is.

This was a surprise to actually see RE the lib dems:

Controversially they also plan to legalise cannabis so it can be taxed and sold on the high street - which they estimate would raise £1bn in tax revenues.

The party commits to creating a legal market for the production and sale of the substance in its manifesto, making it one of the first political parties to fight an election on a ticket of relaxing drug laws.

Cannabis would only be sold to people over-18 and sales would be strictly regulated under the new proposals.

Good vote winner from all the stoners, but as discussed elsewhere, a fine idea, why should all the drug takers enjoy their vice duty and tax free.

Edited by Jetpilot

They've also mentioned about a second referendum on the small thing of Europe. It looks almost like they're going exclusively for the young voters, a pretty clever move I'd say as traditionally the parties haven't cared about the young a great deal.

Uni students, youngsters, stoners, they might get a few votes, if they either werent so stoned, lazy or hungover to actually get down the polling stations, quite happy to get out for a protest march afterwards though :)

• Like 1

Problem is the younger gen on the day tend to not bother actually going to vote even if they claimed they would (part of the reason the polls were wrong about Brexit under representation of younger age group vs the weighting the polls put on them) - living in Richmond and witnessing the huge swing in votes towards the pro-Europe led by-election campaign no surprise they have put their eggs largely in that basket.

Being a younger voter myself (hopefully anyway :lol:) the people on the door have always looked at me as if they expect me to ask what's going on. I've taken an active interest in politics since my early teens and have voted ever since I was 18 (9 years) and it irritates me no end when people moan about the government and then haven't voted "because there's no point"

Yeah Mrs Jay84 will vote LD if think. But only so she can be down with the kids innit. But the younger generation always feel under represented so I agree its a clever tactic

I voted Lib Dems in the poll. I don't normally vote, don't feel I'm well enough educated in politics, truth told, but if I was still in the UK, I'd be voting lib dems. Indyref2 and legalisation for the win. Simple as that.

Its a double whammy though - those 650,000 are not all individuals all working in individual corporations. If Goldman Sachs up and leave taking 4000 high earners with them you lose individual taxation plus the corporate taxation.

Lets not forget the income that the SME's generate for the Government in VAT, import taxation, employment contributions, expenditure ........

• Like 1

Exactly, such a huge halo effect of just targeting that x% thinking that they have so much spare to give.

As for the Lib Dems, I do like them and can see why they led on EU referendum 2 but I do think a. we shouldn't have another referendum and b. that the public should not vote on the final deal either. I do though think their manifesto on the face of it is a bit 'bitty' with no clear theme. Havent had a chance to have a good look through though.

Problem is the younger gen etc etc

So i may be an old tw*t, but i do remember being young, lets say from voting age to early/mid 20's, i wouldnt have trusted myself to sit the right way round on a toilet, let alone have any meaningful understanding or insight of how the world works and who should be running the country and why and as for whether being in or out of the Eu is a good thing.....

• Like 1

There are people in their 50's and above who have no idea of how the world works or what the good of the country is a referendum vote. In context of what I was saying about younger people is their apathy around voting, not taking part even when they understand rather than their understanding of politics.

I think 18 year old's should be able to vote - in most cases a government will stand for 5 years, by which point an 18 year old could well be working during that time for a number of years. But yes agree to a point 'scroungers' the genuine ones, what gives them the right to be terminally unemployed and expect the government to fund their life and then decide how the country is run...its a fair comment.

I agree, however, if you have got to 30, 40, 50 or above an have no idea, well there is not much hope, but hey even i didnt know which way to vote apparently ;)

I think what i am saying is, you would hope at 30 or 40+ you will (or should) have an understanding (at least some) of the world, when i think back to when i was 18 ish i may have "thought" i knew, but looking back, i really didnt and how was i ever supposed to, i had just been released from education, recently playing around on bmx/skateboards etc and not long discovered boobies and alcohol, hell if i stumbled on a clitoris through good fortune i would rub it like a stain out a carpet, yet i am supposed to hold the fate of the country in my hands.....

• Like 3

I agree, however, if you have got to 30, 40, 50 or above an have no idea, well there is not much hope, but hey even i didnt know which way to vote apparently ;)

I think what i am saying is, you would hope at 30 or 40+ you will (or should) have an understanding (at least some) of the world, when i think back to when i was 18 ish i may have "thought" i knew, but looking back, i really didnt and how was i ever supposed to, i had just been released from education, recently playing around on bmx/skateboards etc and not long discovered boobies and alcohol, hell if i stumbled on a clitoris through good fortune i would rub it like a stain out a carpet, yet i am supposed to hold the fate of the country in my hands.....

:lol: :lol: , I'm lmao at this Jetpilot, funniest forum post I've read in ages :thumbs:

• Like 1

hell if i stumbled on a clitoris through good fortune i would rub it like a stain out a carpet, yet i am supposed to hold the fate of the country in my hands.....

IT REALLY EXISTS?!! I always thought it was a thing of myths!!!!!!

Not exactly ground shaking but then I dont think they have it too badly wrong at the moment, as per previous comments and major changes are going to make life difficult in light of Brexit.

I like the pulling back fuel payments for all but the poorest pensioners, both of my parents could claim this but dont as they dot feel it reasonable when they have solid pensions and own their own homes. Corp tax cut Im in favour of personally but it seems a strange decision, particularly for bigger companies.

After reading Corbyns massive spending and big tax impositions on SME owners this comes across as the dreamer vs the realist for me.

Corp tax cut is to make Trump happy I reckon, especially in light of Brexit, giving American businesses the idea that they can have a similarly corporation friendly environment in the UK.

• Like 1