Unplanned bumper conversion (but I'm happy!)

sipar69

Some chump buckled my rear bumper recently (car has been outside with no incidents for three years and we're just weeks away from moving to a place with off street parking). :rant:

Anyway, damange didn't look bad at all but when the bumper came off for repair there was a lot of cracking on the inside. Advice was to play it safe and get a new bumper. Nissan quote for a Nismo Mk1 bumper £1,200 + VAT (and a long wait). For a Mk2 - £365 + VAT and shipping in a few days. It seemed like a no brainer to go for the MK2 but I was a bit unsure how it would look on the Mk1, especially the side profile. End result = very happy. I know Mk1 purists might not like it, but I love the way it looks with the Mk1 spoiler. (I decided not to go for the red stripe as there is no red on the Mk1 side skirts).

I'd definitely recommend the body shop (Andy's Autobarn in Ashford, Middx) to anyone who needs body work done in SW London, Middlesex etc. They're not the cheapest and I had to wait a few weeks before they could book me in but their work is excellent - real perfectionists who do a lot classic car restorations. :)

Some pics...

20170212_1219311729_zpsmwspyoym.jpg

20170212_1222011730_zpsykwutnzi.jpg

20170212_1219421731_zpsjq832cr4.jpg

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

wow that looks awesome! and what a cheap price for a genuine nissan bumper!!! well done mate.

did that price include everything? I've been thinking of changing my bumpers on the car from the amuse kit I've got. i like a change :)

Edited by gstraw
  • Like 1

wow that looks awesome! and what a cheap price for a genuine nissan bumper!!! well done mate.

did that price include everything? I've been thinking of changing my bumpers on the car from the amuse kit I've got. i like a change :)

Cheers :). To be on the safe side the body shop ordered some additional fixings that go with the bumper, but they weren't expensive. I believe the only parts you actually need are the bumper and tow hook cover - the original fixings and brackets can be reused. I also got rear fender liners as the ones for the new bumper are slightly larger than the old ones. With paint, parts and labour the whole job cost not far short of £1k.

I believe the front bumper for the Mk2 requires more parts but the bumper itself is quite cheap.

Edited by sipar69