I need to rant!

Blocko

People really annoy me. Why does everyone want something for free!

So I'm trying to sell things. I have two cars and some PS4 games.

So game will give me £21 for a game but it means having store credit so I've advertised it on fb for the same price. So many offers for a tenner! Er NO!

My Leon 1.8T. It's high mileage and has a hole in the downpipe but has a full 12months mot. It's the cheapest in the country on gumtree and far cheaper than it should be. 180bhp for £550 and I'm getting chavs telling me they will come collect it if I'll take £300! I can sell just the engine and turbo for that. Dreamers!

I also have an Astra for sale. It's a bit tatty but it's a really good runner. It's Christmas and the mot is only until Feb so I've put it up for £200. £200 usually only gets a non runner. I've had numerous silly offers most less than webuyanycar will give me! Then tonight a guy says he'll take it off my hands. I said sure for £200. He said that's too much and I said your aren't having it then. He then said but I've been trying to sell it a while. It's £200 I'll wait or mot it if needs be. He sends some abuse and it later Turns out he buys and sells cars?!

The only downside of buying a new car is selling off the old ones. I don't get it, why is society like this? The ads are honest and the cars are priced to sell but all I get are idiots!

😡

Don't price things so low would be my only advice.

If you want £100 for something, ask for £150, get low-balled at £50, and meet at the £100 you actually wanted in the first place. People would rather pay more for something but feel like they got a deal than pay the full asking.

I put the Astra up for £350 originally and I thought that was cheap but I dropped the price due to a lack of interest. It and the Leon are both sorn and under my carport which is where the zed should be. Instead it's parked under my tree 😳

Rant on mate!

It's par for the course in this country, the missus tried to sell her old Micra for £750, was worth that all day long, she had no end of chancers sending messages with nary a hello, just a figure we'll below what she was asking for. She eventually sold it for full asking but she had to wait for it.

I got the same to a lesser extent when I sold the old Z, but as I'm a bit less... Friendly, shall we say than the other half I didn't entertain any shite.

If you're after a reason for it, blame the dog eat dog world of everyone for themselves. Del Boy might have been a cheeky geezer with a heart of gold but this worlds full of arseholes who would sooner slit your throat that pay anything near the asking price for something.

• Like 1

As above if you are putting the cars out there on the cheap you will attract a certain type of customer i.e. many of the ones looking to make a few quid and chancers. They are probably making an assumption you need shot of them quick and they might be able to get themselves a very cheap car. Price it slightly above what you want for it, but not so high that it puts people off, then negotiate to that price. Also put in the ad that sensible offers only accepted. If you get low offers just reply 'no thanks' then ignore further communication from them don't even bother getting into an email conversation about whether your price is right or not - you are there to sell not debate your pricing with someone who has no intention of paying the price you want.

I think with cars people are royally spoilt nowadays, :dry: ...old man persona ready; :wheelchair::lol:

Back in my day the "majority" of cars didn't have electric windows, A/c, central locking and you were lucky if you got a cassette player rather than just a radio. I paid around £1250 for my first car which was a 1988 E reg MK1 Nissan Micra GSX 998cc.

That Seat Leon is a flippin' bargain imo for what you get. Bl**dy youth of today don't know how good they've got it. Stick to your guns Blocko. ;)

• Like 1

Personally I think you can thank that cheeky chappy (tw8t) mike brewer, banging on about offers, deals and cash, well I like to anyway.

I am generally not sure where this trend is coming from, I change cars a lot, dailies as well and sold 3 cars this year, each time worst than the last, low ball offers and the magic words CASH, like its the holy grail, they dont seem to like it when I ask how else do they intend to pay, magic beans.

I have come to the stand point, unless someone is standing next to the car for sale that they have just viewed i wont even entertain an offer, I had three people on the sale of my bongo this month make offers via message that I accepted, then never here from them again.

Edited by Jetpilot

On the flip side, how many people are ever happy paying list price for a car? We hear it plenty, that a dealer should knock at least 5% off a new Nismo, or that a Zed up for £6k should sell for £5.5k. In general, no-one expects to pay list for cars anymore, so you can't really blame them for the cheeky offer approach.

But yes, taking the p*ss haggling on cars that cheap.

Lol the world is full of them.

It happens on here, too.

When I advertised my unused freshly built forged short block for sale on here someone offered me a few hundred for it. Lol bare in mind it's £4200 if you want one.

"Yeh but its 2nd hand now innit"

• Like 2

^^^ your right no where is safe from it, I dont actually object to offers as said elsewhere in here, if you dont ask, you dont get and you never know the sellers situation, I always start on the low side and hope to meet somewhere in the middle, but I never set out to take the seller for a fool.

Must be a bad time of year for selling things privately.

I was asking for £450 for a Gibson Les Paul studio (great price) and had zero interest, after about two months of low offers I gave in and let it go for £350!!

Also got a Cannon 600D up for sale for £300 and had to let that go for £200, again had very little interest.

Both the Camera and the guitar were already very well priced in the first place. Two people have got absolute bargains off me this time! I felt like I was ripping myself off but at the end of the day things are only worth what people are willing to spend.

• Like 1

I can remember when i put my Gt-Four up for sale and at the time, my model was making 3k tops. A Carlos Sainz might go for a little more. I put up mine for 5k due to it being completely rebuilt in every respect in and out. Lots of messages saying " I'm interested but you're asking too much for it" Or " i like it but you'll never get that for it, you're mad!" To which i replied "don't bid or buy it then" I got some pretty dumb offers/Px. Someone said they'd give me 2.5k and their Daihatsu Charade Turbo (which was a non runner). I told him "it's not attractive to offer half the price and a problem for an immaculate car that works and doesn't need to be worked on". I sold it for the asking price 48 hours later. Someone came, they looked, they drove it, they bought it. I would've sat on it if it didn't go. As some say, everybody wants something for nothing but if something is nice and they want it, then someone will buy it.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I honestly don't take offers seriously from people who haven't even seen what you're selling in the flesh - I might be wrong, it's almost always people looking to flip what you're selling for profit as opposed to someone looking for the best for what they can budget for.

I haven't previously thought much about the psychology of it, but It takes longer for genuine buyers to find what you're selling because they have a lot of ground to cover with regards to ensuring the vehicle isn't a rotbox, stolen, dangerous, poorly maintained etc.

Chancers & flippers actively look for things to low-ball - for them, it's a numbers game, the more low-ball offers they get out in a day the more chance of hooking a desperate sucker there is. Would I being a lazy stereotyper to allude than maybe these kind of folks don't have a regular paying vocation? (i.e. a job)

That's maybe why there seems to be more arseholes offering peanuts for your car than genuine sellers.

• Like 1