Just resigned from my job

Commander

A few months ago my daughter just quit her job in London and moved home. I was not impressed because I have always believed that you should line up another job before you quit the one you have.

Two weeks later and she had found another job in Birmingham and sorted her rented accomodation. Her new job pays the same as the London one, she is not spending a fortune on commuting, her rent is significantly lower and she loves her job. The move paid off.

I think its just a case of moving on from what traditionally we would think 'career' means - for me a career is my working life end to end, rather than doing a particular job or staying at a particular company. I think companies are waking up to the changing nature of the work place, of people staying for just a couple of years then moving on, they can either embrace it or lock themselves away in the corner of a room somewhere and hope everyone stays at their company for their entire life. Think about how many people are now starting up their own businesses compared to say ten years ago, internet has transformed business, you can run a business without ever leaving your living room in some cases.

I think we should never underestimate how important it is to take a chance and do something you enjoy, you typically spend 5-6 days a week for most of your daylight hours doing this - if you hate it, it will grind you down eventually.

I started working from the week i left school at 15 years old. Working funny enough at the place i'm working for now, however it was only a 9 month contract. i then left and tempt'd for a while at various office jobs etc.. then got my first full time employment at a chartered accountant firm in central london, worked there for 3 years, hated my boss, got up one morning and thought you know what, im 20 yrs old, i'd already been working nearly 5 years straight, i want a year off lol. so i walked in, handed in my notice, worked my 1 month and flew out to turkey for 2 weeks on my last day. actually took a year off lol. although i was helping out places like local garage i was doing a couple days here and there, only voluntary to get some skills and knowledge, i even worked for bailiffs for a couple months, but it was all voluntary so i had no stress, if i didnt like it i could just say meh, i'm done, then a full time job came up at the original company (IT Support in a UNI) and i'm still here now! earning ok'ish money for what i do.

:) happy days. it pays for the zed lol

• Like 1

**** this is hard. I usually work from home but I'm in the office today; I just tried writing a letter to my staff to let them know I've resigned and ended up crying my eyes out. Rang my old boss too and ended up barely able to speak down the phone. This is not my style at all... Around here I'm the straight-talking one with all the answers - something's wrong with me - it's not supposed to be this hard, is it?

Currently sat on the bog, it's the only quiet place to go.

I often find when a manager leaves that people like, the first reaction is shock and a fair bit of worrying which is upsetting for the individual, but that quickly moves to people genuinely being chuffed for you and wishing you all the best in the next stage of your life, look forwards to that bit...

Same thing happened with me. My staff and seniors were gutted.

Well gutted until they tried to make me work my 3 month notice so i shaved a hitler mustache in and was immediately sent home.

Btw im vaccuming sick out of a mini today so its not all roses :lol:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

**** this is hard. I usually work from home but I'm in the office today; I just tried writing a letter to my staff to let them know I've resigned and ended up crying my eyes out. Rang my old boss too and ended up barely able to speak down the phone. This is not my style at all... Around here I'm the straight-talking one with all the answers - something's wrong with me - it's not supposed to be this hard, is it?

Currently sat on the bog, it's the only quiet place to go.

Menopause?

Do the right thing by you, f**k the rest of them, most, if not all, won't give a toss about you when they go home.

Have you talked to a doctor? Sounds like you're experiencing some sort of breakdown.

Edited by The G Man

I got made redundant my first day back at work after just buying and moving into my first house with a whopping mortgage.

The following day I approached a rival business and explained my situation and they took me on. Before long I soon realised I was being used to siphon all previous contacts and relations with previous clients and bring across their business, which I did.

This soon started to dry up and relations with my new employer soured and I woke up and called him, told him I'm not coming in and il take my chances!!

Then got a stopgap job working in a GP practise dealing with the general public and generating enough money for me to pay mortgage and live off of beans on toast everyday.

And now reasonably better off! But I do keep thinking about how I'm never going to get rich working for somebody else...

I'm in the position that I'm looking to leave my job and completely change career as currently, where I work is sucking the soul right out of me. I've been looking at moving back up to Scotland and moving back in with my parents and going into university or college. The thought both scares and excites me, but it has to be better than struggling to get out of bed everyday for a job you hate! Good luck!

I can give you 2 success stories. Well, in my opinion i've been successful ahahahaha others may not agree.

I did a wood machinist apprenticeship in my teens to early 20's then threw it in to move to other side of country with the girlfriend at the time.

Bummed around for a year or so, mainly surfing and playing quake 2. Did some labouring on building sites for a bit but wan't really into it.

Figured out what I wanted to do for work through govt training program and got a job in computer software.

Did that for 9 years.

Round 2. Threw that job in as it got boring. I did a bit of organsing in advance as far as: Got my ancestry visa sorted out. Rode motorbike Sydney-Perth. Got a 1 way ticket to Germany, the motogp there and travel insurance. Had a lot of fun in the sun over Europe for the Summer.

Went to London for a winter, had lots of fun and then got a job around Easter, around about 9 months after quitting. Same job role this time though.

So far so good. I'd say it's been fairly successful. seen and done a lot of stuff and currently one of those privileged few who have a Z.... :) so it's not too bad.

At the moment round 3 is kind of coming up.... My current career is coming to a crossroads. cloud computing is changing IT landscape. Meaning my Job as it has been won't last forever and so I'm having to make a choice. adapt to suit, make a full change, stay for a bit and try think about it, put head in sand and ignore until it's too late and I'm forced to take a work direction by someone else or just get dumped.....

I figure I wasn't put on Earth to do a single job and for life. Everyone's pretty much the same so you could do any job out there.

I also like the unknown and unstable and find it more exciting than taking it as it comes. It makes you work harder and gets things done that wouldn't otherwise happen.

Edited by chips

Bloody clouds! I'm in IT too - networks and data centres mainly - the way some customers / vendors go on about clouds you'd think they are magic and can cure cancer! It's like they don't realise they're actually really complicated underneath the covers :-/

Totally agree and most don't realise they've been technically using cloud computing for years.

Re the resignation, you obviously felt it was the right thing to do and you talked it through with your partner which points to you making the right decision for you so good on you!

I'm in a slightly different situation where I feel my role has a limited time within the company but I enjoy it and the team I work with, I have been asked if I want to apply for a different role which is a bit of a backward side step but with promises of a different career path taking me down the management route in the near future. I'm really struggling to figure out if it's me or not as if it isn't and I go for it I'll probably be in the same situation as you.

Good luck with your next journey in your career.

My plot has thickened somewhat.

Boss can't replace me within my notice period so has asked if I'll work to the end of the FY. If I work the extra three months, they'll give me an additional three months pay on top of my salary as an incentive.

It's tempting as even after 40% tax it's not a small amount of money, but it's not big either, and it does mean an extra three months of stress, hassle, being grumpy, it's delaying me taking a break, delaying me finding next job, etc...

Boss can't replace me within my notice period so has asked if I'll work to the end of the FY. If I work the extra three months, they'll give me an additional three months pay on top of my salary as an incentive.

It's tempting as even after 40% tax it's not a small amount of money, but it's not big either, and it does mean an extra three months of stress, hassle, being grumpy, it's delaying me taking a break, delaying me finding next job, etc...

Gives you more time to plan and sort out another job though.

I'd rather have secured somewhere and have a clean transition from one job to the next (unless you are wanting a break from everything for a bit).

You must have some holiday left to take that you can use to go to job interviews and such?

What do YOU want? Ultimately its your life mate, you are doing them a favour hence the incentive. I also know its much easier to find work if you are not working flat out in a stressful environment, it really does distract from the task in hand of getting to interviews and the like. From here on in, think about what you need, what you want and make a decision that works for you.

• Like 1

I was previously a civil servant, with all the benefits that it entailed.

Decided to go full-time as an upholsterer just over 2 years ago (partly for health reasons) which was a BIG leap of faith on my part, but I'm now booked up for the next 18 months in one form or another so I guess I must be doing something right! :D

Money isn't everything, I know it helps, but your health and sanity come first. I resigned from a very well paid job some years back, just got up one morning and really didnt want to go to work, went in anyway and handed in my resignation.

The money was nice and me resigninig was going to cause us to tighten our belts, but I considered that my health and sanity were far more important.

You need to make a decision then stick to it, chances are that if you agree to their offer, you will end up staying.....

Two things:

Never burn your bridges. Staying on and being helpful may pay dividends in the long run, should things not turn out as you hope.

Once a decision is made, always stick with it. Never change your mind or alter a plan, stay on the route you've planned.

Which is of no help, I know, but that may help you decide which is more important.