Its official - MPSS are no longer the best

brillomaster

Not even in the top 5 overall, according to EVO magazine.

http://www.tyrerevie...e-Tyre-Test.htm

Although it is still the mack daddy in the dry. So great for trackdays and summer usage, but if you drive your car year round as a lot of us do, there are other good tyres to consider!

Personally i'll be giving GY Eagle F1 3s a go on the roadcar next, and stick to Federal 595 RSRs for the track car.

Shots fired / flame suit on / :stir: :stir: :stir: etc.!

• Like 2

Kinda what I said in the budget tyre thread , i dont rate the MPSS in the wet and on cold roads they can be tricky . Always surprised Continentals do so well , I have SC 5 on my Skoda and dont really think they are that great either but other people seem to rate them

Tbf I think if you fitted any of these performance premium tyres you wouldn't complain, visually ie side wall design I fancy the Yokohama Advan Sport V105 and always thought the MPSS sidewalls looked phat. My N8000 look way flatter and neater.

There are thousands of tyre reviews online and done by various mags, we seem to as a forum have come to the conclusion MPSS are the best without doing our own independent like for like testing, plenty of other forums say something else.

That said, happy to see the Vreds doing well, no complaints with them on the GT4 and half the price of MPSS.

Ive always found the MPSS to be pretty good in the wet but obviously don't have all the other tyres to test against.

It was pretty hard finding them in standard rays size recently so may try a full set of one of the others next time.

Ive always found the MPSS to be pretty good in the wet but obviously don't have all the other tyres to test against.

I reckon in too many years of driving stupid cars Ive probably tried 20+ different tyres and manufacturers and the MPSS are noticeably the best wet, dry and track compromise that Ive used.

• Like 1

Tbf I think if you fitted any of these performance premium tyres you wouldn't complain, visually ie side wall design I fancy the Yokohama Advan Sport V105 and always thought the MPSS sidewalls looked phat. My N8000 look way flatter and neater.

I totally agree with advan v105 had them on my 450bhp Subaru fantastic tyre.

Edited Oops

Edited by Sarg

I have seen a few pairs od Federal 595 Rsr with crack along the contact surface. For me that tire is not going near the car.

I have AD08R and did a track day on them. They are fantastic tyre either on track or road. Driving in wet excellent. I reckon i never drive faster in wet than on this tyre. Only downside is that is not intended to be used in cold temperatures

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

oh yeah, our RSRs have split across the tread. but they've done 5 trackdays, expect to get another 3 out of them before they need replacing. hopefully the new ones wont split! but they feel fine to drive on, and are showing no bulging or anything, its just a crack appearing along the thread.

I would prefer a better track tyre, but for the money (£90 a tyre in 255/35/18 size) they're working really well, and they're way grippier than the budget ditchfinder we normally run!

I just wish they'd use a RWD car for these things, just once. Or at least the same car year on year.

Yeah for me they should test using all 3 main configs FF FR 4wd would give a more complete overview of what the rubber can or can't do.

I think its more complicated than that , I reckon vehicle weight is a huge factor as well but ultimately its down to how the driver feels and that is entirely subjective , anyone who gets to the limit of their tyres regularly on the public road is probably doing something wrong

• Like 2

I just wish they'd use a RWD car for these things, just once. Or at least the same car year on year.

Yeah for me they should test using all 3 main configs FF FR 4wd would give a more complete overview of what the rubber can or can't do.

I think its more complicated than that , I reckon vehicle weight is a huge factor as well but ultimately its down to how the driver feels and that is entirely subjective , anyone who gets to the limit of their tyres regularly on the public road is probably doing something wrong

Absolutely agree with this. There are so many external factors that can affect the performance of the tyres (without actually being related to the tyres themselves); the weather conditions, how you are driving the car, mud on the road etc.

Like Rich says, if your tyres are surprising you then you need to lighten your boot.

Edited by DonCool

I saw this too.... Pirellisbetter in the wet!??!?!?! :help::nono::protest::unsure:

And I thought the Brexit result was the stupidest thing I was going to have to read about this year. What is also strange is just how BAD they found the MPSS in the wet, I've always found that's where they were far superior to other brands.

One other thing from the test: they are testing continental's new tyre on continental's proving ground... and guess who came out top overall? hmm.

Still think MPSS are the best... oh apart from R888s which I have now :teeth:

Edited by waltzinblack
  • Like 1

Tbh I cannot see how the Pirelli score better than the MPSS in the wet. That's always been the biggest failure by far of Pirelli tyres. Maybe they just work better on FWD stuff?

100% correct. I've got Pirellis on my Moostang, fantastic in the dry, very hard to break loose, in the wet, very hard to stay on the road, fact!! Nothing to do with them being on a Moostang, they are just sh11t!

Couple of other peeps I know running MPSS, can't get them to break traction in the wet, never mind the dry!

The Pirellis should be all but done at the end of my trip (actually they're bearing out well on the wear factor), so it'll be MPSS shod for the winter (my car is a daily, doesn't have to be, but I've paid for it to be :))

I'll give the Eagle's a bit of respect and research them, thanks for the link.

• Like 2

Don't fancy trying the MPS4 instead? I want to try them, but the mileage I expect to get from them is going to annoy me if I don't like them.

And good on you for driving it in all weathers, especially in your neck of the woods! :clap:

PS Sorry for the cyber stalking, this is my third reply in a row to you, not doing it on purpose it's just that you make interesting posts I want to reply to :lol:

• Like 1

MPS4? Not put them in the equation, and to be honest I don't know anything about them at the mo, will have a look though :)

Are they particularly soft as in getting low mileage out of them? I am interested in an all weather tyre, but at the back of my head I'm thinking too much of a compromise?

Don't worry about the stalking, I'm not allowed (self administered) a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat/ account, too many people would end up wanting to stab me in the face :lol:

MPS4? Not put them in the equation, and to be honest I don't know anything about them at the mo, will have a look though :)

Are they particularly soft as in getting low mileage out of them? I am interested in an all weather tyre, but at the back of my head I'm thinking too much of a compromise?

More the opposite, they'll last ages and if I don't like them it's either a waste of money or I have to drive a compromised car. Shame I don't have a third car atm, just to chuck them on as a test.