Involved in an accident while stationary

se350z

BMW Drivers, As long as he doesn't go back on his word should be ok. That happened to me I got a quote, and the Guy coughed up the cash before the repair no questions asked, So better if you can do it like that, but do I quickly.

But be prepared just in case he goes back on his word.

Just call your insurer. You pay them thousands of pounds over the years, it's really not worth the faff.

What if he suddenly changes his mind when it comes to pay the bill? What if the repair job is crappy? What about a courtesy car?

Just do the proper thing and call your insurer. Your premium won't rise any more than the 0.5% increase it's going to have because of IPT changes this year anyway. Utterly pointless to try and save £10 when fault isn't even in question. Although maybe don't park on yellow hatched lines in the future ;)

BMW Drivers, As long as he doesn't go back on his word should be ok. That happened to me I got a quote, and the Guy coughed up the cash before the repair no questions asked, So better if you can do it like that, but do I quickly.

But be prepared just in case he goes back on his word.

I have to admit when someone local to me crashed into me I did the same thing once.

He was a young guy so obviously was worried about his premiums going up on his sporty car that he was driving. I got 3 quotes and he paid the cheapest of the 3 which I was happy with. Paid me in cash before I got the work done so I was happy to go that route with him but only because he lived literally just around the corner from me with his parents so I was as sure as I could be that he wasn't going to try & pull a fast one.

Tbh now I'd go through the insurers. At least that way if you're not happy with the job or the guy turns around saying he's not paying then you've got some come back. ;)

Have you checked his registration on the DVLA plate/MOT check sites yet? Will show you if it's taxed/MOT'd for starters.

I was going to go through the insurance but he is young driver and he was very worried about his claim bonuses and premium (and he just lives down the road). so we end up going to my local garage, he paid £450 for the job, I'm going to leave the car on Monday, pick it up on Wednesday.

i will upload photos after the job has been done.

Edited by se350z

Tapatalk won't let me see a decent image but I'm guessing rear wheel arch.

£450 for near oem quality paint on a wheel arch blended into the bumper (which of your not blending you're mad....it is HIGHLY unlikely to match) is VERY cheap.

For this to be done properly it needs either

Whole quarter painting with a base coat patch on the damaged area then a bumper corner blend/blow in

Or blend with entire bumper lacquer

If your painter is good enough a blend to bumper will do but it's a bleeding skill ill tell you

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Tapatalk won't let me see a decent image but I'm guessing rear wheel arch.

£450 for near oem quality paint on a wheel arch blended into the bumper (which of your not blending you're mad....it is HIGHLY unlikely to match) is VERY cheap.

For this to be done properly it needs either

Whole quarter painting with a base coat patch on the damaged area then a bumper corner blend/blow in

Or blend with entire bumper lacquer

If your painter is good enough a blend to bumper will do but it's a bleeding skill ill tell you

It is the rear wheel arch Ricey with a slight dent too by the looks of it as well as a little bit of bumper damage by the arch. Tbh I can't see a decent job being done for that sort of money unless he's getting it mates rates or something. :shrug:

Really hope though that they do a decent job for the Ops sake.

• Like 1

Could just be the photo that I'm looking at but it looks to me like it's just paint damage, no dent, to the arch lip and a small amount on the bumper... oh and the wheel too!

£450 is very cheap just for the bodywork paint let alone getting the wheel sorted as well. Hope it works out for you OP.

Edited by ilogikal1

During my hot headed twenties I had a similar case.

Car stationery.

Guy caves in front arch on my Prelude but then tries to do a runner.

Friend blocks him off.

We drive him to his house to verify where he lives.

I took his licence off him.

Took his Saxo VTS as a courtesy car.

Then he paid the the quote Honda gave which ended up about £800 and he was expecting a couple hundred.

Gave him his car back and parted ways.

Unless I was sure I knew where he lived there would be no way I I'd trust him to pay.

Could just be the photo that I'm looking at but it looks to me like it's just paint damage, no dent, to the arch lip and a small amount on the bumper... oh and the wheel too!

£450 is very cheap just for the bodywork paint let alone getting the wheel sorted as well. Hope it works out for you OP.

Hope you're right Matt as that will certainly make the job cheaper to fix & closer to what's been quoted to get it sorted. ;)

The reason I think it's dented slightly though is from the first picture where if you look at the line of the rear arch is doesn't look (to my eye anyway) like a nice sweeping curve anymore. Seems uneven.

I was going to go through the insurance but he is young driver and he was very worried about his claim bonuses and premium (and he just lives down the road). so we end up going to my local garage, he paid £450 for the job, I'm going to leave the car on Monday, pick it up on Wednesday.

i will upload photos after the job has been done.

Any update se?

Hope all went well. :thumbs: