Please sign this petition - remove the need to display front plate

ZeppoJeff

No chance. If my car gets nicked, I want as many ways of it being pinged up on ANPR as possible.

This is why no-one takes these online petition things seriously. Do we really want our politicians wasting their time over trivial stuff like this?? I certainly don't.

• Like 6

No chance. If my car gets nicked, I want as many ways of it being pinged up on ANPR as possible.

This is why no-one takes these online petition things seriously. Do we really want our politicians wasting their time over trivial stuff like this?? I certainly don't.

Yeah but the cars would look so much better...much more important ;)

• Like 2

As much as I would like to get rid of my front number plate forever I have to agree with you on this one... :disguise:

Bit of a long shot but I've signed ... I won't hold my breath

I'm surprised you didn't spot the A"M"PR typo. :lol:

Would be nice but as you say unlikely.

Too many mistakes to waste time making corrections ! A bit of a lost cause really ... "sighted" instead of "sited" for instance

• Like 1

It pains me to say it, but I agree.

Far too pointless to warrant a petition, because A) it's not gonna happen and B) it's just not important.

The thing is though it would make no difference imo to a stolen car being recovered or not.

Lets pretend for starters that the thieves leave your legitimate plates (on the car you've now reported as stolen) on & don't replace them with stolen plates not yet marked as stolen or some other fake/cloned plates.

If we had no front number plates then the static ANPR cameras would all be set up to read the rear plates. Same for ANPR camera vans & parked up patrol cars, ...they would just park up in order to ensure seeing the rear plates instead of the front.

As for Police patrols driving around then there would still be the same chance as there is now. They could be driving behind a stolen car & spot it or if they're in front of a stolen car not spot it as the ANPR cameras in patrol cars AFAIK do not point backwards at the front of following cars anyway. :shrug:

Oh but I do agree with you that this petition is a waste of time. ;)

As for Police patrols driving around then there would still be the same chance as there is now. They could be driving behind a stolen car & spot it or if they're in front of a stolen car not spot it as the ANPR cameras in patrol cars AFAIK do not point backwards at the front of following cars anyway. :shrug:

No, but they do point forwards so they catch cars driving past them. Remove the front plate, and you instantly remove that ability.

• Like 1

The thing is though it would make no difference imo to a stolen car being recovered or not.

Lets pretend for starters that the thieves leave your legitimate plates (on the car you've now reported as stolen) on & don't replace them with stolen plates not yet marked as stolen or some other fake/cloned plates.

If we had no front number plates then the static ANPR cameras would all be set up to read the rear plates. Same for ANPR camera vans & parked up patrol cars, ...they would just park up in order to ensure seeing the rear plates instead of the front.

Oh but I do agree with you that this petition is a waste of time. ;)

I'm pretty sure that mobile speed cameras face forward so that the operator can see the vehicles coming towards them. Anyway, probably against EU rules not to have a front number plate :stir::lol:

Pete