Tax... up again ...grr

AMT

Mine went down last year actually. It was £515 then went to £505. Its back as £515 this year again though :( It is annoying though how low emissions cars pay hardly anything even though they use the road just as much

It is annoying though how low emissions cars pay hardly anything even though they use the road just as much

If its emission based, which it is, its actually fair enough, what isnt fair though is its irrelvant how many miles you do.

• Like 3

Over here in Luxembourg, I'm surprised that I pay so much less (albeit on a DE)... but it also does not go up thankfully. 6 months is €201 and 12 months is €383. So converted that comes to around:

6 months: £158

12 months: £300

Mine went down last year actually. It was £515 then went to £505. Its back as £515 this year again though :( It is annoying though how low emissions cars pay hardly anything even though they use the road just as much

That's the point though, it isn't road tax, it's not money to fix potholes, it's a tax against high emission cars. As enthusiasts it's a pain but personally I think the sooner all 'normal' cars become electric, the better, as long as cars like ours are seen as hobby vehicles with appropriate taxation and limits rather than demonised as a whole.

That's the point though, it isn't road tax, it's not money to fix potholes, it's a tax against high emission cars. As enthusiasts it's a pain but personally I think the sooner all 'normal' cars become electric, the better, as long as cars like ours are seen as hobby vehicles with appropriate taxation and limits rather than demonised as a whole.

They wont be able to cope with the lost ved, you can be sure at some point they will be charging low or no emission vehicles to fill the void ;)

• Like 3

Goes up every year without fail had a chat with the post office guy last month and asked has it ever gone down, he said in 20 years .............no :lol: I wouldn't mind if they actually used it to fix the roads

+1 Fix the bloody roads. There are at least 5 massive cracks/bumps on 0.5 mile on one of the major road over here. It's like that all year round. I can't see why the houses on that road is mostly between 750k to 2 million and yet they can't have descent road.

scrap the road tax, put the duty on fuel instead. that way, Steve in his 320d doing 60,000 miles a year rightly pays more than Fangio in his Ferrari 458 who does 3,000 miles at the weekends.

No thanks, that means I'd pay much more. I like the system as it is :D

Am I right in thinking the government have returned rolling classic status to cars, after greedy labour removed it?

Correct. The 40 year rule is now rolling onwards.

That's the worst thing that could happen! Who do you think would then have to make up for the lost revenue to the coffers? Either electric cars would have to be taxed as normal, or they'd have to massively raise the cost of VED on ICE cars to cover it. That £500 could well become £1K or £2K in the blink of an eye.

scrap the road tax, put the duty on fuel instead. that way, Steve in his 320d doing 60,000 miles a year rightly pays more than Fangio in his Ferrari 458 who does 3,000 miles at the weekends.

good idea, but they would most likely keep the tax as well, so its a double hit!

No thanks, that means I'd pay much more. I like the system as it is :D

Am I right in thinking the government have returned rolling classic status to cars, after greedy labour removed it?

Correct. The 40 year rule is now rolling onwards.

That's the worst thing that could happen! Who do you think would then have to make up for the lost revenue to the coffers? Either electric cars would have to be taxed as normal, or they'd have to massively raise the cost of VED on ICE cars to cover it. That £500 could well become £1K or £2K in the blink of an eye.

Technically it is already at 2k.... a new GTR is 2k for the first initial registration and then drops back down to £500

@Banz: See, I don't think it is, not really.

Paying a tax on a tax on petrol annoys the snot out of me, but a one off cost to use my car every year? Nah, I can live with that.

Edited by Ekona

They wont be able to cope with the lost ved, you can be sure at some point they will be charging low or no emission vehicles to fill the void ;)

EVs also dont have to any fuel duty, not unless they tax electricity which will put up prices for everything. 1/4 of the miles i did last year also count at buissness miles, and HMRC pay 45p per mile even for EVs. If i did more buissness miles HMRC would end up paying 100% of the running costs!!! Infact am sure people are making money from HMRC by using EVs to do big miles, its not uncommon to see 1year old Tesla's been sold with 15K on the clock.

EVs only maks up 4% of new car sales at present but when the fleet market catches on to the potential savings the treasury will have to re-write the rule book.

Edited by gangzoom

Cars registered after 1st April 2017 will change everything so don't worry.

If the Nismo 70 is still in production and its still below £40k then the owner will pay the same £140) as a 1.4 Corsa driver :D Win!

And Tesla Drivers will pay £310 for the first five years.

Edited by 370Ad