Tax... up again ...grr

AMT

They wont be able to cope with the lost ved, you can be sure at some point they will be charging low or no emission vehicles to fill the void ;)

EVs also dont have to any fuel duty, not unless they tax electricity which will put up prices for everything. 1/4 of the miles i did last year also count at buissness miles, and HMRC pay 45p per mile even for EVs. If i did more buissness miles HMRC would end up paying 100% of the running costs!!! Infact am sure people are making money from HMRC by using EVs to do big miles, its not uncommon to see 1year old Tesla's been sold with 15K on the clock.

EVs only maks up 4% of new car sales at present but when the fleet market catches on to the potential savings the treasury will have to re-write the rule book.

You pay 5% on electricty if you charge at home

• Like 1

No thanks, that means I'd pay much more. I like the system as it is :D

Thats the sad thing really, we wouldnt trust the gov or any gov to do it fairly.

If they could implement a system based on the average mileage of a uk motorist and the average motorist was paying no more or less than they do on ved it would be a good system.

Am I right in thinking the government have returned rolling classic status to cars, after greedy labour removed it?

They did that in 1997 so that only cars registered in 1972 or earlier were exempt from paying tax. The car only had to be 25 years old back in 1997. The amount of money raised by doing this was peanuts. Cars now have to be 40 years old to qualify, which is a more realistic age for exemption.

Pete

Someone told me they were thinking of changing the tax rules again ...anyone know about this? Said something about the value of them but they may be thinkn about the new car lump sum. Even if you are on the DE tax its prob still gone up too. God help performance cars in 30 years from now ....unless were all flying round like the Jetsons. I dont mind paying it but wjats the point of increasing it, we will still pay it... tenner aint gonna make me give up ma V6 beast lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That's the point though, it isn't road tax, it's not money to fix potholes, it's a tax against high emission cars. As enthusiasts it's a pain but personally I think the sooner all 'normal' cars become electric, the better, as long as cars like ours are seen as hobby vehicles with appropriate taxation and limits rather than demonised as a whole.

That's the worst thing that could happen! Who do you think would then have to make up for the lost revenue to the coffers? Either electric cars would have to be taxed as normal, or they'd have to massively raise the cost of VED on ICE cars to cover it. That £500 could well become £1K or £2K in the blink of an eye.

Worst thing ever for enthusiast car owners but not for, you know...the planet. To clarify though I think that electric cars should also be taxed as normal, they might have low emissions but it's not like they're crafted out of sustainable wood by little elves. I just think that most people would be perfectly fine with an electric car, no need for idiots running diesel monsters for doing the school run.

Either electric cars would have to will eventually be taxed as normal, or and they'd have to will massively raise the cost of VED on ICE cars to cover it just because. That £500 could well will most likely become £1K or £2K in the blink of an eye sooner or later anyway.

FTFY. ;)

• Like 1

Meh, the planet will sort itself out, me driving a dirty great V8 isn't going to make any difference.

Am sure the planet will sort it self out too, every dominant species eventually end up only existing in fhe fossil records, I don't see us been any different :).

As for the V8 am sure your always be able to have one along as you have the £ to fund your hobby.