Kids

Flex

Kids my choice or go and speak to past me and shake me!  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Is it selfish not to have children?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hypothetically speaking (and the poll is private) would you go back in time and have a little talk with yourself and say 'listen don't splash the baby gravy'
    • Do you feel that all you are now is a glorified child minder?
    • I'm definitely never, ever going to have children, the thought makes my bones shiver.

FFS......didn't I say this would happen! You let them have a PET thread, next thing a blimin' thread about kids. C'mon, I come on here to escape the real world.

Anyone posts a baby photo and I'm leaving for good!!!!!

Don't leave me!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

i'm gonna see how i get on with being a cool 'uncle' for a while to our friends newborn, due in april, the first of our friend groups. every other couple we know isn't really interested in having kids. Personally i like the idea, but really don't want a baby, or a toddler, or a primary school kid... I think i'd much prefer a teenager, cos then i can pretty much just let them get on with it.

Everyone who has them are all like the walking dead.

:lol: Haha! that made me laugh, I can understand that.

Our middle two were fine, the first and last to be born were nightmares, my wife especially, never had a decent nights sleep for the first 3 years!!

All good fun!

Don't feel pressured to have children if you don't want them. Either way its entirely your choice, nobody else's.

I can sympathise with the costs involved these days, what with all the peer pressure they get at school to have the latest sports gear, iphones etc.

Wasnt like that for us as we lived in the middle of nowhere, skint, as I only worked a 3 day week by choice, but it was the happiest time of our lives.

My eldest daughter now provides me with a job and a nice wage.

You reap what you sow. Its your choice, its your life.

i'm gonna see how i get on with being a cool 'uncle' for a while to our friends newborn, due in april, the first of our friend groups. every other couple we know isn't really interested in having kids. Personally i like the idea, but really don't want a baby, or a toddler, or a primary school kid... I think i'd much prefer a teenager, cos then i can pretty much just let them get on with it.

What, haven`t you seen Kevin & Perry ?

• Like 1

Our middle two were fine, the first and last to be born were nightmares, my wife especially, never had a decent nights sleep for the first 3 years!!

All good fun!

Don't feel pressured to have children if you don't want them. Either way its entirely your choice, nobody else's.

I can sympathise with the costs involved these days, what with all the peer pressure they get at school to have the latest sports gear, iphones etc.

Wasnt like that for us as we lived in the middle of nowhere, skint, as I only worked a 3 day week by choice, but it was the happiest time of our lives.

A job?

Sorry to sound serious after some riotous posts but I think its worth mentioning like I did on the other thread, the idea that 'oh we will hit around 35 and have a kid then' will just happen, we were in that boat and took a fair bit of time for little 'un to announce himself on the coloured wee stick and for a while genuinely thought it wouldn't happen. Also have a few friends who are having children later in life and having similar issues...

• Like 1

All good fun!

A job?

My wife taught her so well :lol: that she started her own business at 18 and I now work for her. Edited by 350zedd

Some of my friends relationships are based solely on the kids (the family unit), i always worry that when those kids hit 16-18 and start having their own life, perhaps go to university etc where will it leave that couple as their way of life has gone and barring the kids they have nothing in common. One friend actually admitted he choose his wife because she would make a good home maker, not because it was his sole mate or was desperately in love, their wedding was like a business merger, very sad.

On the other hand i have friends who have a great balance, one couple i know tried for 12 years to have one, they now have a little girl and are absolutely made up.

Just remember, a kid is for life, not just for benefits ;)

I don't want kids and can't imagine having them, that and I'd be a terrible father. :lol:

I have no idea why people would want to devote all of their time and money to continue their legacy, I'll enjoy my legacy while I'm here thanks. :lol: When I'm dead, I won't give two funks if I had kids or not.

The bit that makes me smile is......................... What if your parents had thought that way ?

Other than that I can't say anything.

As I left work to bring up mine. (now retired because they only need my wallet)

• Like 3

I don't want kids and can't imagine having them, that and I'd be a terrible father. :lol:

I have no idea why people would want to devote all of their time and money to continue their legacy, I'll enjoy my legacy while I'm here thanks. :lol: When I'm dead, I won't give two funks if I had kids or not.

The bit that makes me smile is......................... What if your parents had thought that way ?

Other than that I can't say anything.

As I left work to bring up mine. (now retired because they only need my wallet)

That was their choice, this is mine. Luckily I'm not my parents because I wouldn't want to bring me up :lol: maybe that's what's put me off... Me.

FFS......didn't I say this would happen! You let them have a PET thread, next thing a blimin' thread about kids. C'mon, I come on here to escape the real world.

Anyone posts a baby photo and I'm leaving for good!!!!!

Don't leave me!

You bloody started this thread!!!!!

• Like 1

I teach kids sports as part of my job and like you am happy to give them back at the end of the day! Great working with them and like you say watching them achieve and try to do good in their lives is very rewarding ....but i draw the line there :lol:

Im not inclined in anyway to have kids im very lucky that year on year i get a new wave of youngsters coming through not to mention the olders that keep coming back! so dont feel the need to or desire to..is that wrong?? IMO not at all as its my choice and feeling about the situation , had a chat with the mrs and she is a teacher and feels exactly the same way so it works well for us and we get on and enjoy the things we want to without to much worry.

Plus if I had a kid the zed would have to go so basically no :lol:

Edited by jumping350

Nothing wrong with not wanting kids. I decided at 16 that I didn't want them and now 18 years later at 34 I still don't want them. My fiance has 2 kids and is happy that I don't want any of my own.

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 1

The problem I think we have in society is that some people have them without thinking about the commitment or the cost, and because it's what people are 'supposed' to do - get married (tick), get a mortgage (tick), have a couple of kids (tick).

And I've never understood people who say it's selfish to not want kids. You can't be selfish towards something that never existed in the first place.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 3

Me and MrNiki are just coming up to our 1st wedding anniversary, so you can imagine how many times we get asked 'when are we going to hear the patter of tiny feet'... erm, never!! Neither of us have any interest in children, we both want to have nice things in life, travel the world in a few years and live for ourselves. Nothing wrong with that at all. We both knew from day 1 that was what we wanted.

What really bothers me is when folk keep asking us about children as if its the norm, and then say 'you'll change your mind one day'... I don't ask people why they had kids and tell them they'll wish they had never bothered one day, so why is it acceptable the other way around??

Never feel guilted into it, it's your life to do with as you please. I believe that people who have time to judge/pressure others are lacking in some aspect of their own life.

• Like 6

What if your parents had thought that way ?

Actually if you look at the world population charts people having more kids is the last thing the world needs. We (as a species) can multiply just as well as any bacteria, the difference been when we hit the population limit the ecosystem can support we use technology to rape the natural world surrounding us so we can keep on multiplying.

Our existence on this planet is causing mass extinction of animals at a rate not seen before in the fossil records. We breed animals on a industrial scale so we can slaughter them for consumption. We experiment on other animals for our personal gain. We than spend an amazing amount of effort trying to kill each others or no good reason.

One thing this planet doesn't need is to have more humans beings. Still I enjoy eatting meat, I work with products that have to be animal tested by law, and I'm about to bring my kid into the world. But that's because I'm a hypocrite like every other human being alive. I respect people who are strong willed enough not to give in to their natural desire to have kids, I know I wasn't strong enough.

For thoses people who want to judge others for not having children should read the scorpion and frog story. Did you have a child because of logical/sensible reasons? Or was it just because it's in our nature?? I know I'm the latter.

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream. The scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "because if I sting you while you cross the stream, surely I shall drown ."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out. But in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, but has just enough time to gasp "Why? Now you shall surely drown!"

The scorpion replies: "Because it is my nature."

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2