Garage tips & tricks.

-G-

Hey guys,

I recently secured a lock-up for my new zed and wondered if anyone had any advice for me prior to decking it out.

I've gotten some plush carpet for the walls (which are actually made of chicken-wire) & gotten hold of an old double mattress which I plan on mounting at the rear of the garage to prevent any dunt's while reversing.

Anyone else give me any further advice? It doesn't have running water or electricity.

• Like 1

The garage is in a large hollow structure with 6 individual garage bays partitioned with wooden joists & wire mesh from floor to ceiling.

I can't access anyone else's bay and they can't access mine.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

• Like 1

If I understand this correctly, this is a larger unit that has been divided with timber stud and wire mesh to create smaller garage size units that are then rented out.

Anything that absorbs moisture such as carpet might not be the best idea for the walls. Likewise an old mattress that will also take up valuable room. If your budget stretched a bit further I would be inclined to line it with 25mm foil backed insulation board such as Kingspan. I pay about £10 per sheet for this. 2.4m x 1.2m. You often see it on E bay as well that people have left over. Hope this helps.

Edited by leonk

When I got my first house, the garage had a concrete floor.

I used it as a gym so wanted a warmer easy clean floor.

I used off cuts of left over carpet as an underlay and then a cheap piece of end of roll vinyl/lino ontop.

Was still good after 15 yrs of constant use.

Warmer and easy to mop up the sweat :lol:

Dead cheap too.

If I understand this correctly, this is a larger unit that has been divided with timber stud and wire mesh to create smaller garage size units that are then rented out.

Anything that absorbs moisture such as carpet might not be the best idea for the walls. Likewise an old mattress that will also take up valuable room. If your budget stretched a bit further I would be inclined to line it with 25mm foil backed insulation board such as Kingspan. I pay about £10 per sheet for this. 2.4m x 1.2m. You often see it on E bay as well that people have left over. Hope this helps.

What about this stuff for him leonk?

Link: http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-loft-insulation-l75m-w600mm/182139_BQ.prd

Cheap, good size length of it and should provide adequate insulation. ;)

You could use that stapled to the wooden studs. Other users of the unit might think you're about to start growing stuff in there but it would work. The advantage of the 25mm thick Kingspan insulation is its much more rigid and effectively self supporting. All depends on budget I suppose. Has the OP got some dimensions?

• Like 1

The garage is in a large hollow structure with 6 individual garage bays partitioned with wooden joists & wire mesh from floor to ceiling.

I can't access anyone else's bay and they can't access mine.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

unless you take a pair of pliers to the chicken wire lol?

Does a mattress + nice hot exhaust being reversed into it create a firehazard? A friend of mine carries a picture in his wallet of the charred remains of his garage and shell of his Merc taken after it burned down minutes after he reversed into it