Jada Pinkett Smith Oscar comments

docwra

The coconut would have had more right to an oscar than Tom Hanks

Wait.... you mean the volleyball called Wilson was actually played by a coconut?!? DAAAAMNNN!! He really should have got an oscar!

Worse, you watched it and paid attention :lol:

Ok, so maybe its a picture of a coconut on a volleyball? Either way it steals the show.

Wilson_The_Volleyball.jpg

On the same subject this version is sooo much better, and unbelievably Michaels Jackson is in it too! This could have redressed some of the balance for the Oscars.

Edited by Toon Chris

Just heard on the radio whoever decides the Oscar boards has vowed they will double the number or women and ethnic minorities on the board for 2017.

Bet she is feeling smug :rant:

Just a thought though, maybe their were no black nominees because they where sh*t :surrender: why does everything have to made into a race issue these days?

why does everything have to made into a race issue these days?

I wouldn't say that - lots of things get made into sexism issues also. At the end of the day though, it's hardly fair that white males get everything handed to them on a plate for F all work, whilst everyone else slaves (deliberate use of 'provocative given the context' word :lol:) away for little to no recognition.

I'm half Asian, so was oh-so-close to being in that privileged group. Hey ho, next life maybe...

Oh, and if there isn't a half Asian, half white male on the panel at the next Oscars (not to mention nominated for an award), I'm writing a strongly-worded letter.

why does everything have to made into a race issue these days?

I wouldn't say that - lots of things get made into sexism issues also. At the end of the day though, it's hardly fair that white males get everything handed to them on a plate for F all work, whilst everyone else slaves (deliberate use of 'provocative given the context' word :lol:) away for little to no recognition.

I'm half Asian, so was oh-so-close to being in that privileged group. Hey ho, next life maybe...

Oh, and if there isn't a half Asian, half white male on the panel at the next Oscars (not to mention nominated for an award), I'm writing a strongly-worded letter.

Best get writing now I guess :surrender:
  • Like 1

I do believe the head of the Oscars is a Black women. It could only be more PC if she were a disabled lesbian too. So, for black actors, producers, directors who feel they don't get nominated and that it could be down to racism, is just ridiculous. I'm sure there is racism in Hollywood, it'd be naïve to think otherwise but to make it so obvious in something as public as the Oscars, that really is shooting yourself in the foot as a black woman who has achieved a high status job in managing the Oscars. Anyway, what's wrong with having no black nominations? What's wrong with having no white nominations? Knee jerk reaction, it must be because white people are screaming racists obviously.

I do struggle with some things regarding racism, I really do. There is racism all over the world, I was subject to it in France and in Japan when I lived there but you know what, it really didn't bother me, I just got on with it and didn't use it as an excuse for how I behaved or got on in life. The idea that this is so serious that they are thinking of putting in quota's to ensure a percentage of people of a certain race appear in a backside kissing sycophantic awards show is mental. If it really is that important then tackle racism at its core, putting in quota's doesn't get rid of it only allows it to continue.

Again I wonder, why do actors think they are so important? Its a shame the public are so obsessed with these people whose talent in most cases is at best minimal. There really are more important issues in the world today.

• Like 2

The problem is more that race is still the single biggest issue in America right now, and people are able to use the Oscars as a platform to speak out on the subject.

Race is a huge issue, but until everyone simply stops thinking that way then things will never change. Every time a black man isn't voted for it's because he's black, every time a black man is shot by a cop it's because he's black, every time a black man doesn't get a job it's because he's black. Never mind that it might be because the film wasn't very good, or that he was a criminal, or that he was crap in the interview. Of course, it very well might be that a few individuals in each case are racist, I'm not stupid enough to pretend otherwise. But then I'm a privileged white man, so my thoughts don't count and I'm forbidden about speaking in anything other than abhorrent terms when it comes to racial issues.

Instead of trying to change minds now (which, lets face it, isn't going to happen) it would be so much better simply to educate our kids correctly and make sure the next generation doesn't see colour as an issue. How you stop the parents teaching them bad habits I don't know, but I think if there was a concerted effort to go down that route then things would get better over time. I don't believe that the world as a whole is racist.

• Like 3

Pretty much what I said earlier, nothing to do with skin colour, maybe they just isnt any decent black actors or in roles worthy of nomination. You also know what will happen next year, there will be some nominees regardless of talent and you can be sure a black actor will win soon or there will be more asperations cast.

I think people just need to grow a backbone and in cases where racism really isnt the topic, they just need to be told straight, but everyone is just too scared, look at the flack CR took for her comments.

Plus you also have bobby above who thinks whites are priviledged and gangzoom suggesting the met police are racist, so your doomed, its a perpetual circle that isnt going away.

Sarcasm is usually followed by a ;) and if a white person on here made similar comments (controversial), you can be sure as hell it would be reported :)

Haha I've been told to stop posting ;) in my threads as apparently it comes across as flirtatious behaviour lol

I hate racism and prejudice of any kind. I will definitely be boycotting the Oscars. I don't normally watch them anyway but will be making an extra special effort to not watch them this time! Never pick a film just because it's won an oscar either, why do we have oscars.......

Sarcasm is usually followed by a ;) and if a white person on here made similar comments (controversial), you can be sure as hell it would be reported :)

Haha I've been told to stop posting ;) in my threads as apparently it comes across as flirtatious behaviour lol

I think they were being sarcastic ;)

• Like 1

Does this mean we can say anything we like, something racist, xenophobic, sexist and then just follow with a .... ;)

No it doesn't you short fat black gay immigrant ;)

lol.. love it, you flabby crapulous mass of a retard ;)

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Impressive outrage over, "the heterosexual, white male having it tough now since the women, people of colour and non-heterosexuals have the audacity to voice their opinions in public". I'm sorry if this has come as a shock to you, but the world is very slowly redressing the imbalance of people having opinions and being in a position to get them heard. Expect more in future.

Assuming you do genuinely believe the absence of nominations for people of colour is down to simply, "maybe they were just rubbish this year, so they didn't get nominated" you're either accidentally of wilfully ignoring the imbalance of leading roles, directors, producers and other key positions offered to/held by people of colour in hollywood film production.

What % of hollywood movies were released this year had a lead black actor or director? Do you think this is more or less than the % of US population who are black? Do you think the difference between the two figures is 1 or 2 percentage points or perhaps higher? Do you think that difference is down to a fundamental difference in ability to be a good actor or director by one demographic over another?

Even if 1% of all films made are good enough to be nominated, the lack of diverse output including cast and senior production staff of colour, means that fewer of these films are likely to be nominated for awards, with even fewer winners. You could apply the same principle to British TV, corporate boards, politicians and see the same effect.

The only arena where there seems to be anything approaching a meritocracy is sport and even there you only have to look at the non-playing roles to see the same the exact same imbalances.

gangzoom suggesting the met police are racist, so your doomed, its a perpetual circle that isnt going away.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/05/met-chief-admits-institutional-racism-claims-have-some-justification

goverments own report

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277111/4262.pdf

Edited by gangzoom

Shortened for ease of reading, all good points though!

Whilst I get what you're saying, and it's probably all true, there's still so much more to think about. What if there's simply not as many black people who are actors or directors because they just don't want to be? Should we be pushing forward for the mediocre few that do want to do it simply because we feel that there's a lack of diversity? Now, if we're talking about the entire movie making business as a whole then yes, I believe we should. However, the Oscars (and other awards shows) are about celebrating the very best for a given year. They can only vote for what's in front of them, and if there were no decent performances by black people then how is that their fault? Should they remove a great white performance for an average black one?

And what about all the black folks who make the films themselves? I don't mean just the important people like the lead or the director, but what about the blood and guts of the industry? The grips, the costume designers, the script writers, the casting people etc. Bet there's a few black people in that list, but now we're saying that if a film doesn't have a black person in an important role then that film may well not get the chance to be listed? Imagine you're a black seamstress, who worked damn hard to put together the costume for the latest Tom Cruise film, which got rave reviews but because there was a film with Denzel in (that was average at best) your efforts got discounted because the lead guy was white. I can't think of anything more disheartening.

What about all the millions of white actors that don't get a chance because the market is already flooded with white actors? They have to work just as hard, if not harder to make themselves stand out to get their big shot.

As a child, everyone can do anything they want. Rich or poor, if they want it and work hard enough they'll get it. You think a six year old who wants to be an astronaut can't? Or a footballer? Or the leader of a country? They can, and they don't see race as an issue at all. This all starts at that age, and when they have parents around them telling them that because they're white they have to be a doctor or because they're black they can't be an actor, that's where the problems really begin. Jo use to see it all the time with kids at her old school, when even a bright young thing would start seeing the world through different eyes because of what Mummy and Daddy say, simply because they live in a rough area. It HAS to start then, THAT'S where the change will come from.

Sorry, that looks like I'm ripping your post to shreds Stu, when actually I think you make some incredibly reasoned and intelligent comments which I agree with.

• Like 1