first scare of the year

lance350

To get out my town theirs a long hill up to the motorway, I've survived since 2012... mind you I've also got stuck, nearly spun round, had to turn back after putting autosocks on etc but...yeah survived haha. *TOUCH WOOD* Its been ok and when we did get a decent bit of snow it was the weekend and I didn't need to work and the rain took it away again before I had to go back :lol: However... its Friday tomorrow and its to snow from the time I go to work, I'll be up nice and early,get the bloody ice off it and hopefully get into work before that happens haha

I had a little scare back last summer... it hadn't rained properly in about a week and a half and we had a good bit of sunshine during that time. Then, one Sunday morning it started lashing. I was on my way heading to Cars & Coffee and stopped off to pick up another Z owner. We were stopped at a red light and once green and I made a right 90 degree turn onto a dual carriage way. I was doing probably 15-20 mph and as I was applying the throttle slowly coming out of the turn and the back end stepped out... very much so....it just kept going and going... Quick countersteer stopped me going towards the barrier. The roads were incredibly greasy - like ice

The best thing was that right behind me at the lights looking out on to the junction was a Police traffic corps car... they saw it all.... they caught up to me further down the road alongside me... had a good look... laughed... then kept going. It clearly didn't look like an intentional drift!

Edited by GT Driver
  • Like 1

Had a fun drive yesterday... 5:30am, gentle snow falling, 370lbft of torque in the beemer, summer tyres. Just moderate acceleration is enough to get the tcs light blinking, let alone trying to corner.

still, on the plus side nice to know that the stability systems are all working nicely, car is cutting power and braking individual wheels well before I've needed to deploy oversteer protocol.

Really should get the new car on a trackday at some point!

I dunno, I have to say I'd rather be driving through the snow in a reasonably heavy, wide car with fat tyres and a low centre of gravity than other half's Megane that understeers on a warm dry day at 15mph!

I'll be short shifting though, my bum's not ready for four wheel drifts haha.

I got stuck on a hill in the first day of snow, traffic waiting to come past me and now way of getting up the hill. The hill was inclined too so the car slid into the curb and the only way of getting it out was to curb the sh*t out of one of the wheels by reversing back down. Gutted.

Add that to the roadworks incident and someone rear ending me recently and it makes for a rather unsuccessful winter this year. Probably should have bought a daily, hey ho......

I dunno, I have to say I'd rather be driving through the snow in a reasonably heavy, wide car with fat tyres and a low centre of gravity than other half's Megane that understeers on a warm dry day at 15mph!

I'll be short shifting though, my bum's not ready for four wheel drifts haha.

FWD trumps RWD in the snow easily. Also those fat tyres are worse for grip in the snow than skinny ones.

• Like 1

Out the house this morning to go to work looked at the frosted Zed, looked at the frosted Focus, looked at the frosted ground. I bottled it and hopped in the Focus. Iv'e already written off one Zed and i aint gonna write off another lol even if it does have MPSS on them, I think i'm scared for life haha

Edited by DarmoZ
  • Like 1