What would you buy for GTR money?

-G-

Not one of these "if I won the lottery" type questions, as this will require a bit more thought regarding the budget.

You have 2008/9 GTR Money burning a hole in your pocket (£35k) - you fancy a new car for driving on the weekends & taking to shows. meets & generally enjoying - what would you buy?

I spent a long time thinking about this and having asked a few of my friends, given they own quite a few of the types of cars I fancied, realized that every one of us had very different ideas of what we'd buy with that kind of loose cash.

So I figure I'd ask the forum - there's no right or wrong answer & thinking about it / discussing it might even help inform a future purchase :-)

Depends.

If I want something that drives well, I'd buy a 911 (yes, obvious).

If I want something that's pretty and makes awesome noises, I'd buy a V8 Vantage.

If I want something for the experience, I'd buy a Corvette.

I'm in the market for a GTR and I'm looking at options so far looked at the Lexus RCF, Vauxhall/Holden VXR8, E63 AMG, have a test drive booked on a M4 and R35 later this month , not driven anything impressive enough to draw me away from the 370z yet though , all a bit more than £35k of course

If I had £35k and wanted GTR performance i'd get a modified Evo 9 or 10, a well modded one is more than a match for a GTR

• Like 1

996 turbo, can be used everyday, don't pay the ridiculous service/running fees of the exotics (plus far cheaper to buy), so much more interesting than a GTR and the price of the 996's is only going one way so it'd be an investment as well.

alternatively a 993 carrera for similar reasons but I suspect I'd struggle to find a decent example for £35k

• Like 4

I'm in the market for a GTR and I'm looking at options so far looked at the Lexus RCF, Vauxhall/Holden VXR8, E63 AMG, have a test drive booked on a M4 and R35 later this month , not driven anything impressive enough to draw me away from the 370z yet though , all a bit more than £35k of course

If I had £35k and wanted GTR performance i'd get a modified Evo 9 or 10, a well modded one is more than a match for a GTR

Have you seen this EVO VII? http://www.harlow-jap-autos.co.uk/7trackevo.html

I'd argue that EVO would be more than a match for most GTR's actually.

£37k is a bit out of budge but it looks like there's been a lot more than that spent on it!

996 turbo, can be used everyday, don't pay the ridiculous service/running fees of the exotics (plus far cheaper to buy), so much more interesting than a GTR and the price of the 996's is only going one way so it'd be an investment as well.

alternatively a 993 carrera for similar reasons but I suspect I'd struggle to find a decent example for £35k

Two statements I heartily agree with. GTR's are lovely, but they are almost TOO lovely, it seems that almost everyone has one and for very good reason (because they are ace).

In the end I decided against a GTR as last year, one of my friends ended up buying the Top Secret R35 GTR Demo Car from Smokey Nagata during a trip to Chiba.

The thought of owning a bog-standard GTR next to that monster put paid to that.

• Like 1

Two statements I heartily agree with. GTR's are lovely, but they are almost TOO lovely, it seems that almost everyone has one and for very good reason (because they are ace).

In the end I decided against a GTR as last year, one of my friends ended up buying the Top Secret R35 GTR Demo Car from Smokey Nagata during a trip to Chiba.

I've yet to see this gold beauty in the flesh

• Like 1

Have you seen this EVO VII? http://www.harlow-ja.../7trackevo.html

£37k is a bit out of budge but it looks like there's been a lot more than that spent on it!

Awesome spec, but that would cost a fortune just to keep it working, its a race car with an mot. If you had a few million in the bank why not, but as a serious option it wouldnt even end up on the list.

I would struggle to think of something i would want to own more than a gtr if i had gtr money, plenty of cars i like, but ones i would actually hand over that cash, i would struggle.

• Like 1

I've yet to see this gold beauty in the flesh

I saw it when it came into the UK, and whilst it was an impressive piece of kit I couldn't help but think it looked a little 'halfords' . Now before everyone starts shouting at me, I fully appreciate what the car is and I do really like

/admire GTR's, but, and it is a big but, for that sort of money I'd rather buy something more exotic/special.

Flame suite on!!

• Like 1

Have you seen this EVO VII? http://www.harlow-ja.../7trackevo.html

Yeah I have , been looking at the MLR a lot recently saw a very nice IX with over 600hp on there as well , some very well sorted cars around

Quite a few of the Evo owners I know who went to the R35 have gone back to the Evo 9 or 10

I'd want a MY12 GTR onwards personally

A nice R34 GTR would be a very good shout for that money but I got rid of my R34 largely due to Nissan deleting 1000's of parts from their catalogue , they are classics really and come with the inconvenience of running any car of that age

• Like 1

A nice R34 GTR would be a very good shout for that money but I got rid of my R34 largely due to Nissan deleting 1000's of parts from their catalogue.

Hehe, tell that to the 240z owners :lol:

Still plenty of aftermarket parts for R34 , out there, soon on TORQEN website as well :)

Given my liking for older cars, I would much prefer an R34 GTR over the R35, I am not all about hammering up to it 100mph+ in under 5 seconds with launch control everywhere - clearly its subjective but the R34 looks stunning from any angle, the R35 looks like a human left a computer to get on whilst on a coffee break and came back and just took what was on the screen. R34s are just that much more rare and will be much more desirable in future.

Failing that, would go for an Exige, still rate my lowly little 2.2 VX220 as the most raw and exciting car I have ever driven, it felt like I was driving a formula 1 race every time I sat in it. I can only imagine what an Exige would be like...

• Like 1