Sideswiped/hit and run'd :(

coyoteboy

Yeah it crossed my mind but It's someone's mother, who's possibly made a mistake and is just too dumb to realise. Other than crunching me she didn't seem to be unstable or wandering, if she had seemed it I would certainly have said so to the police.

At the end of the day she's an adult and as everybody knows you stop if you have an accident with another vehicle/person no matter how minor, ...unless you've something to hide. :scare::dry: Like she was driving drunk, no insurance, no licence, on drugs etc etc.

The only exception would be if she was in fear of her life (doubt you were threatening her though or even had time to by the sounds of it) or if it was some type of a medical emergency. :shrug:

Either way it's down to the Police now so lets hope all goes in your favour as you did nothing wrong.

I would not have let her go, shes not exactly gonna outrun you but again you don't know what they'll do if you try and pull infront of them. Hope you get it fixed soon! Also be careful with Infiniti Glasgows repair place, Infiniti are good... but the bodyshop they use has bad reviews, supposed to be same place Porsche use and I've heard bad stuff about their paint jobs etc. Plus it'll cost, so if its not insurance go elsewhere but I'm guessing it will be.

Edited by AMT

Can someone explain to me why youd have insurance but not report a non fault incident?

Difficult to prove maybe? I'm in the exact situation at the moment as a van driver decided to take our wingmirror off the evoque and refused to stop. Finally managed to get him to pull over but he was being a complete t***er about it and was trying to get me to go back to his house for the details.

Part of me doesn't want him to get away with it but the other thinks that there is no way to prove it.

Docwra - as above a) if it ends up knock for knock because there's no witness you lose your excess and get a mark against your policy (ignore ncb, it's a giant ruse anyway if you think about it). B) it can also be a LOT cheaper (like 3X cheaper) to get repairs done if you tell the shop it's not an insurance job. C) I insure 4 cars, and claim has to be pushed to 4 policies whether it is fault or not - they still put the premium up.

There's endless reasons! You've obviously not had much contact with insurance companies - lucky you!

It's not. My premiums went up 25% (universally, on all quotes) when my *other half* declared a non-claim, non fault incident and I had to declare it on my policies. My brothers premiums went up when he had a fault claim even with ncb protection. When I phoned an insurance broker (who I was insured through at the time) on an old car to ask if it was worth claiming for a car park incident I'd not been present for he ran the numbers and the premium increase was prohibitive, he advised I just got it fixed myself and walk away from the phone.

It's a myth that premiums always go up if you have accident or make a claim.

There is no hard and fast rule but a no fault claim can certainly impact your insurance. My wife was hit when driving my car , the truck smashed the door mirror , the claim came to about £500 which was paid by the other driver but my insurance on that car went up by about £50 (20%) in addition the premium went up on my second car by about the same and this effect lasted for a few years.

I was hit from behind whilst stationary on my motorbike, the police prosecuted the driver that hit me. My insurance more than doubled on my bike and I run 3 vehicles so I had to Notify them too, the insurance went up on all of them. Weirdly after 4 years it was no longer counted on the motorbike policy but was still counted for 5 years on my car and van policy. I hate insurance companies.

It's a myth that premiums always go up if you have accident or make a claim.

I wish that were true

I had a no fault claim in 2010 (car was parked outside the house and a local teenager (whilst fiddling with his phone) ran into the front of it and then drove off - he was caught later though

all costs covered by his insurance, but my premiums went up

It is true. They can go up, but they can also go down.

Mine did, after I binned a Cayman R the other year. Completely my fault, but makes no difference to my premium at all. It's the exception rather than the rule, but it does happen.

• 3 months later...

So a bit more info on this - they tracked down the driver of the other car who admitted to being there at the time but refused to accept they were involved and suggested it was mis-identification. They sent photos which totally hid the damage and refused to accept liability. My insurance company's claims company (they outsource it?!) couldn't be bothered doing anything, didn't even ask for images until I requested it, and then refused to persue it and handed it back to my insurance company direct, who it now sits with.

So I'm probably going to have to swallow the excess and end up with a fault claim on my name.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose eh. Can't be bothered getting too stressed over it now, I was raging at first!

IABodyshop seems to get great reviews from what I can see, the insurance company's recommended one gets shocking reviews despite being porsche and ferrari approved?!

I seem to be hearing more and more of this rubbish where insurance companies are punishing the victims, it's about time someone/something put a stop to this!

On another note, if someone sideswiped me I would follow them until they stop and get details off them, if that meant phoning the police as soon as I stop, then so be it, no way would I be letting them away with it.

• Like 1

^^^ There is another two threads going with the same remit, if there is three in this relatively small community in such a short space of time, imagine how many there are across the country.

The amount of money you pay these days it would be nice to know those costs are justified, the industry needs a massive shake up imho, its just a licence to print money and the only people that seem to benefit are the "whiplash" scammers and the no win no fee lawyers who represent them. The innocent third party victims bend over and take it with loss of no claims and increased premiums the following year.