Ooops....

T-Bear

I think a google on a list of lawyers would be more beneficial than posting here...

So would googling

What fuel do I use,

What do these wheels look like on my car

What do my seats weigh,

How much is my car worth,

What tyres should I get,

Where is the best insurance,

Where can I buy a zed for £2 and a snickers bar.

etc

Easier to post here in hopes someone will answer as opposed to going off a post on a random site from over 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Googling for 'motor offence lawyers' is probably a good start - if its easier to post here how comes no one has offered him someone to speak to yet I found on page one a number of law firms dedicated to this type of offence which are recommended by independent institutions etc. etc. It took ten seconds. That ten seconds has been more beneficial than the 24 hours of banter on excessive speeding on UK roads...

Edited by coldel

Googling for 'motor offence lawyers' is probably a good start - if its easier to post here how comes no one has offered him someone to speak to yet I found on page one a number of law firms dedicated to this type of offence which are recommended by independent institutions etc. etc. It took ten seconds.

I'm not saying that's not a good idea.

But if you don't ask you don't get. Maybe there was someone on here that doesn't want to publicly say he lost his license. So he's PM'd with a lawyer he's used who got his sentence down from X to Y etc.

The amount of @*!# that gets asked on this forum, especially regarding law, I don't see the problem :lol:

Googling for 'motor offence lawyers' is probably a good start - if its easier to post here how comes no one has offered him someone to speak to yet I found on page one a number of law firms dedicated to this type of offence which are recommended by independent institutions etc. etc. It took ten seconds. That ten seconds has been more beneficial than the 24 hours of banter on excessive speeding on UK roads...

Yeah but there's always the hope that something will get heated for entertainment value, unfortunately it's all stayed rather tame.

• Like 1

Yeah but there's always the hope that something will get heated for entertainment value, unfortunately it's all stayed rather tame.

The people on their moral high ground havent got to excited for some reason this time :stir:

Probably because the op isnt claiming entrapment and what bar stewards etc, just i got busted, my fault, can someone point me in the right direction to defend my case in the best way possible.

You also never know what a lawyer may turn up, a local businessman has just got away with 74 separate offences surrounding bankruptcy, fraud, non disclosure of assets etc all because a lawyer found something that shouldnt have been there. :surrender:

• Like 2

Don't forget the "re-test" too.

On a positive note.

Make sure the "speed gun" has a current certificate from the manufacturer.

The device was tested at the start and end of the shift, and that a note was made to this effect.

These two are the basic points.

..... or hire Mr Freeman and associates - very very expensive!! Worked for Beckham......

Well done for owning up OP, careful about what you put on a public forum and head over to Pistonheads if you want some legal representation pointers. There are numerous threads on there with people in similar situations and someone will DM you with advice.

There's already a thread running over there. I started it for him, just to see what folks thought if they just got the facts.

http://www.pistonhea...h on a 70mph DC

Thank you, interesting read.

I have been to court for two offences on the same day, 94 in a 50 and a 133mph in a 70. I walked out with a 3 month ban which I thought was a result.

Lawyer is the best route if you can afford it. You need to play on how important your job is to your family/life. You need to own up to the stupidity and call yourself a "twatbadger" in court. If you admit fault instantly, admit stupidity but also mention how your job is impossible without a licence, you will get a ban, acknowledge that straight away. Were the conditions dry and clear with light traffic? If so, mention that. If it was rush hour and wet, don't mention it.

Look smart as you can, take out any earrings and sound as posh as you can. The magistrates that will listen to this will be 50+ years of age and part of the "higher society". The closer you can relate to them, the better.

Court is just one big game. I also got a ban knocked down to 6 points so either I am ridiculously lucky or I play the game well enough.

And to people that will get insulted at my words. He is admitting fault, but just trying to get a smaller fine and ban which any of us would do in the same situation.

A bit like getting discount off a new car lol

Even though I've had 5 bans in total(in a space of 6 years), it has destroyed me on insurance and has a been a right pain.

I paid £6600 for insurance on an 08 M3.

£4400 for a 05 Clio turbo the year before

I personally now, wouldn't do 129mph. Your stopping distance is ridiculous and even after my 2 advanced Police driving courses and 2 advanced bike courses, you really don't know how bad it can go wrong, not for you but for others as well. I never worried about crashing in a car, but hitting someone else due to my stupidity would devastate me.

Good luck, you might get viciously bummed in court but whatever it is, you deserved it, take it on the chin and don't call the magistrate a ****er, i saw that once lol

Genuine advice.... ahh, you lot are going soft ;)

Thank you.

• Like 1

My last offence was in a CTR on the A339 Alton road in Hampshire. It was circa 2003 and I went for an early Sunday morning blat.

I had been following a lardy golf doing about 45mph and when he turned off I opened the taps into a lovely well sighted straight of about 2 miles in length.

I was concentrating on the road when I spotted a little white spec ahead. It turned out to be an old colleague from Farnborough RPU and his 20.20 van, bugger!

I pulled up behind him and we exchanged pleasantries accordingly, how's the family etc etc.

I then asked him what I was clocked at and he said 94 mph. He made a gesture about scrubbing it but I knew this would jeopardise his data up to that point, so I said "no" I did wrong and should be punished accordingly.

The offshoot was a court appearance on a clean licence at more than 50% over the posted limit which gave me two options.

The first was 6 points and a £500 fine or a 28 day suspension and a £250 fine with no points.

I took the second option and was able to book holiday from work to cover it.

Since then as stated in the recent article by Ekona slow is the new fast for me.

My driver training had led to overconfidence which resulted in this offence occurring.

As for track days lol, well the last time I went for an instructed session I was marked as very smooth and safe but won't win any races, the instructor knew instantly I was an ex copper :)

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 1

Do hope all turns out well and don't keep worrying daily as there is little you can do till Feb unless you can find a loophole buddy. I was done for 146.8 mph in 1989. I received an 8 week ban with a £350 fine, and made the front page of the local evening paper. Not good :thumbdown:

Enough posters have slated your speed so I won't bother, over the years i have have been caught speeding several times, best bet is be repentant and accept what is coming, at the speed you have posted the fine alone is likely to mean you need to sell the Z, as such I have to agree with those that say sell it, it can only make you look more repentant. Also, it really needs to be insured and taxed to be able to allow test drives etc so if you end up with a ban your insurance is likely to be invalid and it will be much harder to actually sell also, if potential buyers know you are banned they will offer silly money.

Good luck with the court date and hopefully you get a sympathetic hearing.

Whatever the outcome learn from the experience

Edited by davedutch

Personally, I wouldn't bother selling the car just for the court appearance unless you really want rid/ have to sell it to pay the fine. You can pay the fine monthly.

What will make a difference is what you say in court, how sincere and apologetic yet genuine you come across.

Edited by Jewell

Don't forget to mention that it's 'been ragged' a few times... :stir:

Your buying the wrong car if you dont think any have been "used" ;)

I was actually half expecting the usual '1 lady owner, hardly driven blah blah blah' to pop up on autotrader in a week or so!

There are quite a few ex coppers hidden away on here, aren't there?

Do you think they all still have their handcuffs? ;)

So, what's with all the ex coppers on here anyway? (Only actually know of 2!) Are they not allowed to own sports cars whilst in the police force? How many active police officers on here?

• Like 2

There are quite a few ex coppers hidden away on here, aren't there?

Do you think they all still have their handcuffs? ;)

So, what's with all the ex coppers on here anyway? (Only actually know of 2!) Are they not allowed to own sports cars whilst in the police force? How many active police officers on here?

Pink and fluffy was force issue, honestly!!

I see it this way. If everyone at the time was doing 130 mph, I don't see the problem because everyone has the same time to react doing the same speed. However, if you're doing 130 mph and most people are doing 70-80 mph, reaction times for you and others are different, people who are doing 70 -80 mph won't necessarily know immediately just how fast you're going when they see you in their side mirror. That's why it can be dangerous. It's like doing 60 mph passing someone at a standstill, If they decided to pull out, it's game over.

Edited by Rock_Steady

This thread reminds me of a ride out I once had in a 500+ BHP supra with retractable number plates :ninja:

Seriously tho, be careful out there people. After a road sign randomly flying off the motorway and into my car the other day it made me stop and think, it's not the speed that's a problem, it's the inability to control the environment around us that's the big danger. I normally put my foot down a little on the road where it happened too and on this particular day I was going slow due to the weather. Had I been pushing on a bit it's almost a given that I would have crashed.......

Or drove right past it due to missing the event entirely because of said speed :lol:

Edit due to too much info on original post.

Edited by nowhereboy

Assuming they are only prosecuting you for excess speed and not dangerous driving then I would look very carefully at how the law is written. I got prosecuted for averaging 11.36 mph on the M23 a number of years ago in light traffic, early evening and warm dry weather. As this was only classed as excess speed, i received a £150 fine, 0 points and a 56 day driving ban. If the yard prosecuting you in the same way, the maximum ban is 120 days, although usually it is capped at 56 days unless there are extenuating circumstances. Points can range from 0-6 points, the fine on the other hand is now means tested and can be up to £2,500.

I would be inclined to say represent yourself if it is only for excess speed. A decent barrister is likely to charge £500-£750 for the "day" (30 minutes tops) and will only save you a couple of hundred quid on the fine or a couple of weeks on the ban.

Edited by MJC

Assuming they are only prosecuting you for excess speed and not dangerous driving then I would look very carefully at how the law is written. I got prosecuted for averaging 11.36 mph on the M23 a number of years ago in light traffic, early evening and warm dry weather. As this was only classed as excess speed, i received a £150 fine, 0 points and a 56 day driving ban. If the yard prosecuting you in the same way, the maximum ban is 120 days, although usually it is capped at 56 days unless there are extenuating circumstances. Points can range from 0-6 points, the fine on the other hand is now means tested and can be up to £2,500.

I would be inclined to say represent yourself if it is only for excess speed. A decent barrister is likely to charge £500-£750 for the "day" (30 minutes tops) and will only save you a couple of hundred quid on the fine or a couple of weeks on the ban.

Good to see crawlers on a motorway get a ban as well as those over the speed limit :p:lol:

• Like 3

Good to see crawlers on a motorway get a ban as well as those over the speed limit :p:lol:

Balls. t'was 111.36 mph (0.288/mile in 9.36 seconds to be precise!)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm back..... yay.

This thread certainly did create a bit of a divide between those who sympathised with me and those of you who just think I'm a tool.

Anyway, I know you're all itching to hear how I either was burned at the stake or got taken into custody and given a good spanking....

I took your advice and gained representation from a lovely lawyer who used constructive remarks like:

"My client is an idiot. He accepts & understands that"

"If my client were driving dangerously he would also be charged with dangerous driving and that is not the case"

"My clients car is easily capable of in excess of 160mph"

and somehow they saw that I was merely a nice guy who sticks to 30, likes kids, works hard and occasionally drives a bit too fast on an empty dual carridgeway.

So they fined and then banned me.

Moral of the story...... don't speed.

The verdict just for reference..

45 day ban, £130 fine and the worst was having to get on public transport. Ugh.