VW dodgy dealings

The Bounty Bar Kid

Couldn't care less. This is what happens when governments force huge companies to concentrate on punitive emissions rather than a sensible reduction. It's why we have cars with manufacturer MPG numbers that don't even come close to the real world. Everything is done to pass a test, not to actually make things better for us.

Good for VW for finding a way round that.

• Like 5

The question remains that if such a magic trick exists that is so effective... Why turn it off at all?

Dan's right though, everything driving related is conducted to pass a test not to obtain an end result, from this through to learning to drive.

I am guessing it will be at a specific rev range, somewhere around where the test is conducted, probably massively detrimental to the cars performance hence why its not constantly used etc

• Like 1

It's okay Stu, every single person in the world ever will be driving electric cars in 6 months time so the polar bears are safe.

Come to think of it, the polar bears will all be driving Teslas too by then, so I hear. Well, the ones that live that long anyway.

No polar bears still won't be safe, they will instead get run over by the electric car that they didn't hear coming! :lol:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it, they have two options:

Remap the cars to give the emissions they make on the test, which will kill MPG and power output; or they can simply remove the defeat code which then leaves the cars open to being re-classified at the higher tax rate. Either way, if it was me I wouldn't be taking my car anywhere a VW dealer for the rest of it's life.

• Like 1

Raises an interesting question around VED and company car tax. I dare say the Inland Revenue will have a few things to say if the same software has been sued in the UK as they will have been losing £1000's in underpaid tax, including from us when we had a Golf as a company car.

Unlikely anything will be done, but you've got to imaging the IR will be considering some sort of action.

If they remove the offending code so the vehicle fails the emission test then I wonder if it will then subsequently fail the MOT emission test? In which case, suddenly you have a huge amount of cars not fit for road use! Or does the MOT emissions test check for different type of emissions?

I can't see they've got any reason to go after anyone. They can't go after the end user, as they paid the tax that was in force at the time, as far as they and HMRC reasonably believed.

Could they go after VW? I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought so. Did they attempt to cheat HMRC of money? Arguably yes in a way, but this is no different to an accountant telling his customer to put his cash off-shore: If HMRC get wind then it's the customer who gets clobbered, not the accountant. The only financial penalty could come from the EU folks who do the testing, as an environmental issue.

It will always pass MOT. The new code will make it cleaner, not dirtier.