VW dodgy dealings

The Bounty Bar Kid

From a Test Strategy point of view am I the only one who naively thinks that setting a Test Criterion of "Produce X amount of badness at Y rpm" is actually the root cause of this problem? Rather then evil megacorp?

Not just you at all, it's a stupid test designed to make stupid consumers feel better about their stupid purchases.

From a Test Strategy point of view am I the only one who naively thinks that setting a Test Criterion of "Produce X amount of badness at Y rpm" is actually the root cause of this problem? Rather then evil megacorp?

Not just you at all, it's a stupid test designed to make stupid consumers feel better about their stupid purchases.

So what are you saying? :lol:

I read they found 6 billion down the back of the sofa for sorting the mess out, probably only affect one year's results.

Well, I'm sure they have enough money to sort it out but it's a complete public relations disaster...how much long term damage will this have done to their reputation?

Pete

I read they found 6 billion down the back of the sofa for sorting the mess out, probably only affect one year's results.

Well, I'm sure they have enough money to sort it out but it's a complete public relations disaster...how much long term damage will this have done to their reputation?

Pete

It's an interesting question Pete. For me, and I'm assuming a few on here, I don't buy cars because of their emissions or tax band. So it would't cross my mind if I was considering a VAG car in the future, not like a major safety recall might.

That said, I saw some guy on the news talking about how "cheated" he was and that he bought his VW "due to the clean credentials" (a diesel for cleanliness, really?), so perhaps some people will. Though, I couldn't really decide if the chap was being disingenuous because he sniffs some compo from VAG. I bet most people will still buy a golf because it sounds like a golf :shrug:

It's an interesting question Pete. For me, and I'm assuming a few on here, I don't buy cars because of their emissions or tax band. So it would't cross my mind if I was considering a VAG car in the future, not like a major safety recall might.

Luckily for VW they have other interests such as M.A.N and Scania. People will still buy porkers too no matter what. How they handle the recall will also have a big bearing on the situation, the sheer number of vehicles means that the dealers will be kinda busy for months and it's unlikely that they'll be able to supply courtesy cars for everyone which will leave a lot of punters sitting around at dealerships for hours at a time. I would certainly expect a dip in sales for a few months followed by recovery in 12 months time when everyone has forgotten about it ;) .

Pete

That's the real issue there: The tests have NOTHING to do with real life driving. That's where people's anger should be directed, as it's also why we end up with cars that are advertised as doing 70mpg yet only ever getting 45mpg in the real world.