The-end-is-nigh??

gangzoom

Since I know how people here love to ‘debate’ certain topics I thought I share this extract written by @Ted, the creator of PistonHeads, take one guess at what car he had just driven?? ;)

The rest you can read for yourselves

“One sedate lap of the paddock at Castle Combe had delivered a thunderbolt. Mind blown, views altered. The gulf between new and old is bigger than I appreciated. A chasm will open up shortly between the silent raiders and the noisy old boys.

Our current rides are automotive steam trains. Whilst beautiful, clever and at the top of their game - it's now the wrong game.â€

http://www.blatters.com/mag/the-end-is-nigh/55c9cb540d4369a64a8b464b

Our current rides are automotive steam trains. Whilst beautiful, clever and at the top of their game - it's now the wrong game.â€

Steam train will always pull a bigger crowd than its electric counterparts, and Steam trains might not be a thing of the past but a thing of the future ;)

POW-LOCOS-YORK-08.jpg

• Like 1

To be fair, he isn't slating petrol driven cars, just that electric ones are now well on par in terms of performance (albeit expensive ones) - the article does nod towards the fact that the petrol cars are much more theatrical and that we should make the most of them whilst we can - lets face it, the world seems intent on killing off ICE cars for electric/public transport - funnily enough was chatting with my neighbour the other day as he is an MD of a clean energy firm and I agreed most people that don't give a jot about how they get from A-B will buy slow cheaper electric cars but those who drive for fun will certainly garage up those old ICE cars!

• Like 1

Thing is they are still 90k for the fast one and 330 miles of range isn't quite enough yet. Amazing car but I wouldn't want to drop almost 6 figures on one and worry about running out of juice.

i think 330 Mile range is more than acceptable its the charging time even 30 minutes from tesla super charger is to much

Edited by StevoD

Thing is they are still 90k for the fast one and 330 miles of range isn't quite enough yet. Amazing car but I wouldn't want to drop almost 6 figures on one and worry about running out of juice.

i think 330 Mile range is more than acceptable its the charging time even 30 minutes from tesla super charger is to much

My view is that a person that can afford a 90k car is probably doing quite well for themselves. So say they are a sales account manager at an IT firm. They need to drive to a customer site for a business meeting, if they live in Berkshire they cannot drive further North than Nottingham if they want to come back the same day.

• Like 1

The process of running a £250/month All-In cost ( I mean my total transport costs including everything you can think of ) electric car as my main commuter has had the side effect of leaving me rather alot more disposable income than before. Looking at the numbers last night I could easily afford to buy a S2 Exige right now and to keep it for the occasional use whilst using the Leaf as my day-day commuter car. Infact doing so work certainly work out much cheaper than buying a £50K+ Tesla which depreciates as you would expect any £50K+ car to do, whilst the Exige will hold its price much nicer.

But my wife would rather see me spend £50K on a deprecating Tesla and the hassle of trying to hide a Exige in the garage just isn't worth it, the noise will most certainly give it away :lol:

Excluding the luxury of been able to run one car for daily use and one for occasional use, than all electric is the only option I can see open to me (you guys have more understanding partners on the car front ;) ).

Some family friends are the process of moving house, and yesterday we started looking at our next house, the budget all of sudden was some 15% more than what we had planned on before....So actually if nothing else, I need to make sure the 'T-fund' gets spent on a car and doesn't end up been turned into a 'Granite worktop/central island/walk-in wardrobe' fund :surrender: .

Edited by gangzoom

The cheapest £50K version is RWD with 315bhp, 5.5 second to 60, so hardly 'slow'. It comes with 12 point memory seats, free for life autoupdate via built in LTE, keyless entry, auto xenon headlights, lane departure warning, folding mirrors, parking sensors/reversing camera....Essentially everything you expect from a luxury saloon.

The problems is options crep - for 'just' £13K more you get 417bhp, AWD, and 4.2 60 time.....and than 'just' another £17K gets you the crazy P85D.

I mean if your going to spend £50K+ on a car, you might as well get the best version you can afford :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

The cheapest £50K version is RWD with 315bhp, 5.5 second to 60, so hardly 'slow'. It comes with 12 point memory seats, free for life autoupdate via built in LTE, keyless entry, auto xenon headlights, lane departure warning, folding mirrors, parking sensors/reversing camera....Essentially everything you expect from a luxury saloon.

The problems is options crep - for 'just' £13K more you get 417bhp, AWD, and 4.2 60 time.....and than 'just' another £17K gets you the crazy P85D.

I mean if your going to spend £50K+ on a car, you might as well get the best version you can afford :lol:

I am not saying its not worth X but the technology hasn't come far enough forward yet. I am sure it will soon though.

The Tesla works for me but no offense but your leaf doesn't. I couldn't drive a boring car 5 days a week just so I could have a fun car on the weekends.

• Like 1

My view is that a person that can afford a 90k car is probably doing quite well for themselves. So say they are a sales account manager at an IT firm. They need to drive to a customer site for a business meeting, if they live in Berkshire they cannot drive further North than Nottingham if they want to come back the same day.

i get what your saying but, what do you do when your 370z runs out of fuel, you refill it

so what do you do when your electric car runs out of fuel you re fill it.

The issue is re charge times i mean i might be wrong but im sure sales account manager at an IT firm is allowed to refill his car on a trip or half way to see a customer

untill that car can be recharged in 10 minutes or less and all service stations on the road network it wont be mainstream but as in other threads the technology is coming