Tenby 10k

ioneabee

my first ever "race" tomorrow morning - cacking myself now

and just looking at the forecast - it would be better if i swam it

wish me luck :thumbs:

Got a pool if you need practice ;)

good luck buddy I ran my first ever 10k last week granted im still an active athlete however my current sport isnt really long endurance and also did absolutely zero training, I ran round the park twice which equates to about 1.5km :lol:

you will be fine..drink plenty tonight make sure you stretch well and take a very slow pace throughout its not about the time its about getting round the course in a way that's best for you during and after the race.

From there you have a bench mark and can build on that for the next one :thumbs:

Believe it or not the rain will actually do you good during the miles

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

Good luck on the race for tomorrow, I ran my first 10k three years ago and I can remember how you are feeling. Enjoy the race and run your own race, don't start too fast and run at your own pace. I have run seven 10k's now and the best advice I can give you is make sure you are warmed up, I now go for a light jog for about 4-5 minutes before the race after some stretching. I know it sounds strange running before a race bit it really does work and I do much quicker times that way. Certainly dont worry about the rain it will help you and enjoy the day, it really is fun running in a race like this.

Let us know how you get on after the race.

• Like 1

I've done a couple of 5k park runs and actually do go for a short jog before it starts

I'm worried that I will be cold at the start because of the heavy rain due - ce la vie .. what wil be, will be

:thumbs:

well - all done and dusted and rather damp

that was to say the least wet and windy

I was aiming for 55:00 minutes, (my best time on training runs was around 59 mins) but anything under 60:00 minutes in this weather would be a bonus

Official race time 54:59 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Like 4

I was aiming for 55:00 minutes, (my best time on training runs was around 59 mins) but anything under 60:00 minutes in this weather would be a bonus

See? Finally it helps being little, going through the rain drops, they couldn't touch you, so 0 drag! :lol:

Well done! :D

• Like 1

Good effort, funny how adrenaline on race day gets you that bit faster.

I keep on trying to make my self do a 10K run. I can just about manage 5k as part of sprint triathlon, but after that I'm dead.....Just watching people do the 10K runs on TV makes my legs tired. At least with the cycling your basically just sitting down, and the swimming bit, well if you don't move your arms your drown so not much choice there :lol:

• Like 1

Well done that is a good time, I always say you can improve your time by 45-60 secs a mile under race conditions and its always good if you can get the time you aim for. My first 10k was under similar conditions and it was a character building run into a strong head wind with the rain lashing into me for half the race. I am doing 10Ks in about 50 minutes now but don't think I can get much quicker, at my age its all down hill now. If you are going to keep racing try a 5 mile race if you can see one coming up, you will find the shorter distance will mean you should get much faster mile times.

• Like 1