Garden fence fail!

nowhereboy

Easier said than done, we are looking for a house in a remote location in Worc/Glos and have been for months. Can't find a thing that's away from people in our budget and our house sale goes through in less than 3 weeks! Stressful :lol:

• Like 1

Easier said than done, we are looking for a house in a remote location in Worc/Glos and have been for months. Can't find a thing that's away from people in our budget and our house sale goes through in less than 3 weeks! Stressful :lol:

I know what you mean. ;)

When people say buying a house is the most stressful thing you will go through they aren't friggin' kidding. :scare::wacko::lol:

• Like 2

Here's an update with a picture to help explain myself better....

s24hur.jpg

The fence with the holes in is 6 foot and was put up by the crazy cat lady. The posts have been put in by myself and we intend on attaching our fence panels to them so our fence is on our side and wont touch hers. We explained to the council that their are several houses in the area with these fences up already and they told us they will get back to us today, surprise surprise we heard nothing.

I'm pretty tempted to just carry on and finish the job anyway. Just really don't want to spend a whole weekend doing so if we have no chance of keeping it up.

Pretty fed up about the whole thing to be honest, we really want out the area but if we private rent the cost of living would be much higher and we could never save to get a mortgage.

Feeling trapped :thumbdown:

Worst comes to the worst plant some very fast growing plants that will grab on to that framework and grow like crazy to cover it.Plant lots and don't trim them.

If you can't have them growing over her framework put up a 2M fence and then a topper of one with holes like hers, and grow them in that.

Bindweed is seen as a weed but the flowers are pretty and it grows like there is no tomorrow. Get some of that in there and it will be impenetrable within months. Also plant a more slow moving plant that will give you cover in the winter, such as bamboo or some more mature hedging (i.e. already quite high). There is always a plan B mate, don't give up :)

If you have to get rid of the new fence just put up bamboo screening to block the holes. It's quite cheap, looks good, and you can cut it to the acceptable height level. We've used it to give us a bit more privacy in the passage next to our kitchen by making it a foot higher than the fence (see on the left of the pic below). :)

61963543b18ea3f920bfb3b5aed02097_zpsd3jzfuxy.jpg

That is one fluffy-ass cat!

Here's an update with a picture to help explain myself better....

s24hur.jpg

The fence with the holes in is 6 foot and was put up by the crazy cat lady. The posts have been put in by myself and we intend on attaching our fence panels to them so our fence is on our side and wont touch hers. We explained to the council that their are several houses in the area with these fences up already and they told us they will get back to us today, surprise surprise we heard nothing.

I'm pretty tempted to just carry on and finish the job anyway. Just really don't want to spend a whole weekend doing so if we have no chance of keeping it up.

Pretty fed up about the whole thing to be honest, we really want out the area but if we private rent the cost of living would be much higher and we could never save to get a mortgage.

Feeling trapped :thumbdown:

Having seen the pic and noting you are hoping your present home is only temporary and it is a privacy issue, if it were me I would have gone for the bamboo, as per Sipar69's pic. Easy to install and reduce the height....if that became necessary.

But as you have laid out good money for the fencing you are in the process of putting up, might as well stay with that until the Council insist it has to go, by which time you wil have hopefully found your home of choice. :thumbs:

Pffft, put the fence up. It'll take them longer to enforce you taking it down once you start to drag your heels through court, they'll either give up or make everyone take theirs down too, in which case everyone will hate crazy cat lady.

Have you spoken to her, and pointed out that the council are going to make her take hers down too now?

Cheers lads, aye it's going up, I couldn't really care who it upsets. I'd have told my neighbour upfront had she been a reasonable person but I knew she'd make a fuss anyway. She tends to avoid us but makes constant complaints to the council and I keep catching her spying on us from the window. The people round here are just not normal.

I used to be a fencer and if its your fence, youre replacing an existing fence and you arent changing the boundary line or making it higher then tell her to swivel, you dont need planning permission to fence off your property. The fact that there are other similar fences there kind of says it all.

Google: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/fenceswallsgates/

As for removing posts, easily the best and most fun way is plucking them out with a JCB but you will need a JCB to start with :D

I used to be a fencer and if its your fence, youre replacing an existing fence and you arent changing the boundary line or making it higher then tell her to swivel, you dont need planning permission to fence off your property. The fact that there are other similar fences there kind of says it all.

Google: http://www.planningp...nceswallsgates/

Keep up doc - post #9 ^^ :p

Google: http://www.planningp...nceswallsgates/

Keep up doc - post #9 ^^ :p

Fair play, I was just providing evidence that I wasnt some fly by night pikey looking cowboy who regularly got asked which skip at the dump to use* ........... ;)

@ Ekona - the stolen goods kind of fencer, obvs. ;)

* This happened enough times that I stopped protesting my innocence and just pointed to a random skip :lol:

• Like 1

Update!

Decided to cut the panels to 4 foot to keep the neighbor/council off our backs, Gonna make something for the top to finish it off, probably something similar to what's already in place behind it. She'll still complain no doubt but I can't see them making me take this down, it clearly looks much better.

qrwu85.jpg

Now just need to finish the top of the fence, trim the overgrown conifers at the back and it's gonna start resembling a garden, pretty chuffed with it :thumbs:

On another note we've just found out that someone recently bought one of these houses from the council for about 45 grand, Even though I can't stand the area I'm toying with the idea of buying the house if we can get it at a good price with the hope of it gaining some value once we've finished it. Could sell on in 5 years and move onto something bigger. Need to have a word with someone who knows their stuff to see if it's worth doing.

Edited by nowhereboy
  • Like 1

be very cautious of buying an ex-council house - do your local research

they may sell afterwards, but do tend to be very hard to sell on

And there would be the small matter of having to declare the dispute with your neighbour to the purchaser.

be very cautious of buying an ex-council house - do your local research

they may sell afterwards, but do tend to be very hard to sell on

And there would be the small matter of having to declare the dispute with your neighbour to the purchaser.

What dispute? ;)

• Like 1