Hayfever sufferers

jimboy2

It's that horrible time of year for me again when I really want to cut my nose and eyes out.

Anyone else suffer?

Anyone know what pollen has just been released in the last couple of days. It has hit me hard in the last week or so.

Any secrets for relief? I'm currently taking loratadine once a day and just been to boots and they have told me to start taking cetirizine on alternative days to mix it up a bit.

I have only suffered from it in the last 3-5 years. Never affected me as a teen. Weird.

I look forward to summer for half the year and then hate it once it's here lol.

I'm in the same boat as you mate and have been for last 10 years or so!

Love summer - hate hayfever!

I get it pretty bad, sneezes, blocked and runny nose, puffy eyes, the lot. Normally hits me around April, but been a bit delayed this year and only really hit me hard last week.

I take the one-a-day pills, but I don't follow their instructions :lol: I'm currently taking them 3 times a day combined with Pirinase nasal spray twice a day (suggested dosage is once daily).

It's just about keeping it at bay for me and I'll continue it like this as long as it keeps it under control.

Is there anything wrong with upping the dosage? Was going to start taking both types of pill but not sure if one would cancel the other out.

One day someone will become very rich when they have found a cure!

Honey from your local bees is the answer. I used to suffer badly in the summer but mine has turned around and I only get it from tree blossom March / April so I am all done for this year. Feel for you, its bloody miserable.

• Like 1

Like you I developed this well after my formative years, no idea why. I used the 'other' one to loratadine (forget the name) for ages, with no effect. Switched to loratadine and they worked effectively, so defo worth trying other chemicals. Failing that...

dark-gas-mask_00223526.jpg

There's a rumour SMD does a range of masks too, but I'm not sure how medicinal they are :lol:

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

I have to have prescription stuff from the Doc (free on the NHS in Wales :-) ) as Clarityn etc doesn't touch the sides. Nasal spray, eye drops, tablets... You name it! Never had it until I was about 21...had it every year since!

We keep bees and make our own honey. I usually suffer hayfever allergy really badly ( as you other sufferers know - flu-like symptoms, sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and generally feeling s**t and unable to function). I was skeptical (still am a little - I'll get to this in a moment) that the local honey thing worked, until one of the girlfriends of a guy who uses our honey said it had stopped her symptoms! Since last year I have been taking a mixture daily of Polleny (that's pollen that we have harvested from our bees mixed with local honey), Spanish pollen ( They sell it in some supermarkets there VERY cheaply) and some powdered pollen capsules I made from a batch of home harvested pollen that didn't quite work out.

So, so for this year I have had nothing! I spend most of my time outside when the weather allows and really, apart from a slightly runny nose occasionally the actual 'allergic reaction' part of the hayfever has not reared its ugly head!! Now, I know that the usual worst time of year for my own brand of allergy is around the time of the Cheshire Show (usually around 20th June) which is the height of the grass pollen period - hence my skepticism. However things are looking pretty good, we did a local market on Sunday and I spoke to loads of people who were buying our products to deal with their already bad allergies. :teeth:

To add (rather than edit) You can buy pollen cheaply from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bee+pollen&sprefix=pollen%2Caps%2C158

I expect if you are already suffering then it's probably too late to try this year, but might be a good idea to buy some now and start taking it a few months prior to when you usually start suffering. It's pretty cheap. It works on the same basis as other proper medical ideas that even though it's not the particular pollen that you are allergic to it allows your body and therefore immune system used to having it so that when a type of pollen you are allergic to is ingested than you already have an antibody in your system which is similar enough to fight the reaction to the allergy.

Bee pollen is a good idea, but DON'T take any now as its too late, and you might have a bad reaction to it.

I usually start taking it over the winter months to give my system time to get used to it.

A pinch of sea salt on the tongue can sometimes help as its a natural anti-histamine.......and drink plenty of water too.

Just to give some medical perspective to all this and my 2p as a periodic sufferer.

-Local honey or pollen products etc as described works by desensitising you to the common pollen in your area.

You need to take it months before to make it effective and it is too late now if you already are having symptoms.

- once a day tablets like loratadine, cetirizine are effective and you need to take it regularly to be effective. Note piriton and other similar type tablets are drowsy causing so should be avoided if you need to be alert or at work. They also need to be take multiple times as they have a shorter duration of action.

- Adjuncts such as eye drops and nose drops are very useful for relieve irritation to the mucus membranes of these areas.

Tbh if you have severe symptoms then you need all three. Beware there are 2 types of nose drops. Steroids and ephedrine like drugs. You can't use the latter for very long as it may lead to withdrawal rebound symptoms. Read the instructions or follow your doctors or pharmacist advice.

- some GP can offer you an injection of a very powerful steroid called kenalog but it is not officially licenced in the UK to do so but it's been used in U.S. Etc for ages. You typically would be given the injection before pollen season. It is not for everyone but ask your GP if you could have it if you are a very bad sufferer.

- while it is impossible to avoid pollen listen to the local news about expected high pollen count and try to stay indoors or in climate controlled areas and have your eye or nose drops with you for rescue.

- taking more tablets than prescribed is a dumb idea! Most of these non drowsy tablets would cause drowsiness at higher doses. Also avoid alcohol when on these.

- there are countless other remedies over the counter that may or may not work. Thread carefully, do your due diligence before you spend your money or take them.

Personally I rate local honey highly and would recommend this.

-Don't spend money getting the branded tablets. The value supermarket tablets have the same ingredients and costs less. Just look under the label for the generic ingredient eg cetirizine.

If all fails go and see your GP😜😜😜!

Edited by GT4 Zed
  • Like 3

I take beconase for my nose and boots eye drops - but i always start taking them a few weeks before i become sensitised to the pollen - so usually the end of may. My eyes still get bothered occasionally so then i take half a certirizine, which usually sorts it. I also have at least one shower per day (before bed) to get rid of pollen in my hair on skin etc. Keep windows shut mid morning and early evening when the pollen is rising/descending thru the air.

Keep hoping i'll grow out of it!!

I've been on the local honey for the last couple of years & hardly had any hayfever last year or this year, I live in kent & work in smoggy London, but today I was in Buckinghamshire with sore eyes & a snotty nose, so the local honey definitely works for me :thumbs:

Anyone know what pollen has just been released in the last couple of days.

The Scots Pine tree opposite our house released a massive amount of pollen the other day and Caroline started snuffling shortly after. I don't suffer from a pollen allergy but when they are getting the hay in during September I'll be sneezing quite a lot.

Pete

Anyone know what pollen has just been released in the last couple of days.

The Scots Pine tree opposite our house released a massive amount of pollen the other day and Caroline started snuffling shortly after. I don't suffer from a pollen allergy but when they are getting the hay in during September I'll be sneezing quite a lot.

Pete

Yea, Pine trees in the past couple of days.

I suffer every year and anti-histamines are on my banned drugs list as they play hell with my dicky ticker. Never found a way around it that works - just have to tough it out :snorkel:

Suffered with it for as long as I can remember... in South Africa I got 1-2 lovely injections a year and it worked a treat!!!! Would have to take tablets 3-4 times per month. Here the doctors love their prescription fee too much so I am not allowed the injection.

What works for me is, is simple decongestant tablets, combined with eye drops and the odd anti-histamine 1-3 times a week.

This this article:-

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3096280/Hay-fever-misery-increase-global-warming-Invasive-ragweed-spread-pollen-climate-change.html