fi guys what exhausts are you running and why

nissanman312

Hi guys

Right as you know I've gone fi and so far is awesome I just coverd my first 700 mile on a weekend in the lakes

I love the setup the car flys apart from my cobra what was a bearable nice deep tone is now a bit to loud with the decats

Such a shame as it was so nice on the na setup so this will be coming off and getting cleaned ready for Sale

My question to the fi guys is what setup you got

don't get me wrong I don't want anything to quiet just nothing to boomy in the car

I'm leaning towards invidia to pair with my invidia decats but open to options

Thoughts please guys :)

Edited by nissanman312

2.5" dc sports true dual with cross over x pipe. And decats. Bit raspy up top and at 60mph in 6th has a bit of drone(no sound deadening in boot). I have manifolds to go on at some point too. If I had turbos like Alex or when I build my engine larger pipes (4"?? Mad man!) might get bought for testing.

GMballistic runs an Invidia with decats too though his is a 350z if that makes much difference.

Yep cheers SHEZZA. ;)

Berks de-Cats & Invidia Gemini exhaust system on my FI 350Z. If you listen in this video below that Chris recorded of my car on track you can hear the lovely sound it makes over everything else as I accelerate off from Quarry corner.

[media]

[/media]

The thing is my Zed passed the static sound test at Castle Combe (was 92dB@ 4.5K rpm from 0.5mtr) but after I had been on circuit one of the marshals pulled me aside into the sound testing area again as my Zed had made 102dB on a flyby dB test passed the pit lane. :blush:

Does get loud on full chat so worth bearing in mind although I love it as it's fairly subtle when driving normally but then when you go WOT it really shouts. :evil:

Car all warmed up after a drive so just a bit of static revving up on the driveway below.

[media]

[/media]

:thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

GMballistic runs an Invidia with decats too though his is a 350z if that makes much difference.

Yep cheers SHEZZA. ;)

Berks de-Cats & Invidia Gemini exhaust system on my FI 350Z. If you listen in this video below that Chris recorded of my car on track you can hear the lovely sound it makes over everything else as I accelerate off from Quarry corner.

[media]

[/media]

The thing is my Zed passed the static sound test at Castle Combe (was 92dB@ 4.5K rpm from 0.5mtr) but after I had been on circuit one of the marshals pulled me aside into the sound testing area again as my Zed had made 102dB on a flyby dB test passed the pit lane. :blush:

Does get loud on full chat so worth bearing in mind although I love it as it's fairly subtle when driving normally but then when you go WOT it really shouts. :evil:

Car all warmed up after a drive so just a bit of static revving up on the driveway below.

[media]

[/media]

:thumbs:

That sounds lovely what's it like at cruise on the motorway between say 60/90 three cobra is OK on the motorway above 3 thousand

And pulling up the the gears between 2/3 thousand revs this is were mine booms a bit now with the decats

Sounds nice on wot though it's has to otherwise what's the point

+1 on the invidia. Good quality, flow and sound.

I've got headers, ART pipes with it and no rasp but hit pull out from Bedford last year. Was fine on static test (92db IIRC) but fly by was almost 100db. Latter I found the cause to be a large hole on the mid pipe where the hanger had ripped right off. Nothing to do with the exhaust quality but rather the solid urethane exhaust hanger with have no give and so that hanger was acting like a stressed member. Re welded it lower to remove the stress rider and been fine since.

I've got headers, ART pipes with it and no rasp but hit pull out from Bedford last year. Was fine on static test (92db IIRC) but fly by was almost 100db. Latter I found the cause to be a large hole on the mid pipe where the hanger had ripped right off. Nothing to do with the exhaust quality but rather the solid urethane exhaust hanger with have no give and so that hanger was acting like a stressed member. Re welded it lower to remove the stress rider and been fine since.

Bennett -

Bit off topic , but can you confirm that you ran the art pies with your miltek and didn't have much rasp?

Cheers for your help :)

Bennett -

Bit off topic , but can you confirm that you ran the art pies with your miltek and didn't have much rasp?

Cheers for your help :)

Yes no rasp.

My exhaust history:

1-OEM = boring

2-Fujitsubo legalis R Titanium + OEM cats+ japspeed y pipe = like Nismo but smaller back box, lighter, alive from 3500rpm, Great exhaust.

3-K1 + japspeed y pipe + Berks HFC = rasp central!!! And loud and drone!!!

4- K1 + Berks + japspeed + DC headers with or without bungs = deafness!!!!!!!! Still drony and raspy!! Note: no bungs loose you power.

5-K1 + Motordyne ART pipe + DC headers + gutted midsection silencer and tail muffler + no bungs = OMG fawking loud 🙀 but almost no rasp and drone. The closest to a V10 at full chat! Banned me from all tracks including the Ring! 115db static at 4500rpm!!! It had to go!!

6-Miltek CBE+ ART+ headers = too quiet but came a bit alive past 3500rpm. Quality welds. This is for the mature zedder :lol:

7: invidia Gemini CBE(full true dual system) + headers + ART +/- FI = the best balance of quality, flow and noise. Surprising quality for the price. Just look at the cast flanges. No rasp. No drone. 90-92 db static and 94-86db flyby. Should' be less without headers. I will recommend this all day long.

8- Apexi revolution 2000 exhaust. The one that got away!!! Uber rare exhaust limited production and now discontinued with adjustable sound output through a valve in one tail pipe. Never arrived from the U.S. as FEDEX managed to loose it. I got only the midsection which I never bothered to collect. From rare videos it sounds like a Nismo not unexpected being the OEM design but could be adjusted to be louder or quieter.

My feeling is if you have rasp issues then get rid of HFCs and go decats with ART or any copy decats with the resonators like ARK as this is designed to filter the rasp frequency and general produce a clean bass exhaust note.

• Like 1

That sounds lovely what's it like at cruise on the motorway between say 60/90 three cobra is OK on the motorway above 3 thousand

And pulling up the the gears between 2/3 thousand revs this is were mine booms a bit now with the decats

Sounds nice on wot though it's has to otherwise what's the point

It's a great system and as Bennett has mentioned no drone or rasp. B)

That's what I'd go for again although I do love the sound of the Motordyne system but then I've only heard that on non-FI Zeds. ;)

I have done the rounds on exhaust systems over the past couple of years and after a lot of failed sound tests,back pressure problems,poor build quality and power loss I have got the best combination that suits my car.

De cats and a full Miltek system including Y pipe.

On full boost yesterday at Castle Combe it was the system for the more mature Zedder!! Lol

Never heard the 370 Invidia system in person but from the research I did when choosing a better sounding exhaust for my Nismo, I understand it sounds quite similar to the Stillen system I went with - a sporty sounding, but not overly loud, system Adding Cobra High Flow Cats made the system quite a bit louder, but only when you want it to be. There is a small amount of rasp every now and then from adding the HFCs, but it's hardly noticeable.

If the comparisons are correct, and you're looking for something that sounds good but not overly loud, the Invidia should be a good choice :).

Edited by sipar69