Temporary toy for the summer - Porsche Cayman S

Adrian@TORQEN

Sorry to see this mate

Real eye opener

That block looks fecking dreadful for a 9 year old porker , more like a 30 year old Austin

Ekona, 5% failure rate on a prestige car is taking the ****

Rob

Sooo glad i sold my 911 before this happened to me. I could feel it in my waters that i'd bought a lemon, and that this happening was only a matter of time.

Glad you've got a warranty Adrian... at least that takes some of the pain away.

Oddly as much as i hated owning my 911, i really want another (or a Cayman). God knows why. :blink:

Spoke to the previous owner, as expected, he's a nice guy and looked after the car as per the invoices, receipts, service history etc:

Here is what he said:

"Hi Adrian. That is upsetting and I'm very sorry that you have been landed with such a bill. I have never seen the engine, as it's all tucked away in Porsches and I'm not a mechanic so don't have the ability to look. Is it worse than other cars of the same age? I only just put £1500 or so into it for the service etc. So you transferred the warranty over and they still won't cover any of it?"

"I've always been very careful to keep the oil topped up as the guy that sold it to me said these engines use a lot of oil. He said a litre every 1000km is not unusual. Plus the flaring when you start from cold. Sounds like your guys disagree. I've always done whatever work is required and then some - when one rear shocker went I replaced both to ensure no differential in strength. When one coil pack went I replaced all of them for the same reason. It is very disappointing that the engine is like that given I've always exceeded any work required. Would the corrosion/boring lead to breakdown? If so then the warranty would cover it. Once again I'm very sorry but I genuinely did not know about these issues and wouldn't have done until pointed out, or breakdown, which is what the warranty is for."

"My apologies again, I feel bad that this has happened. Persevere with the warranty people and hopefully they'll come through. It's what they're supposed to be there for at the end of the day."

• Like 1

I've just spoken to our highly qualified Works Metallurgist and he tells me that, excluding stainless steel grades, high alloy steels and low alloy steels are equally susceptible to corrosion. It's a lack of coating (either painting or plating) coupled with a harsh environment which have caused your problems.

Steve

I assume you've had a look at Hartech's prices?

http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_997_Boxster_engine_failure_repair_rebuilds_prices.html

Looking at £6k +VAT for 6x new cylinders.

I could probably google this, but I can't be bothered :lol:

What causes the bore scoring?

Generally it's poor or inefficient cooling. They say that the cyclinders heat and warp, assuming an oval shape. I've also read that Porsche used sub-standard materials for the liners in this first mass-produced engine which has an impact also.

• Like 3

Bloody hell, it's like the thread of over-reaction in here.

Marzman has it spot-on, it's a cooling problem above all. Poor warming up and cooling down massively contributes too. If any engine is using 1L/1000k, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Fingers crossed the warranty company comes good for you mate :)

• Like 1

I assume you've had a look at Hartech's prices?

http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_997_Boxster_engine_failure_repair_rebuilds_prices.html

Looking at £6k +VAT for 6x new cylinders.

I could probably google this, but I can't be bothered :lol:

What causes the bore scoring?

Generally it's poor or inefficient cooling. They say that the cyclinders heat and warp, assuming an oval shape. I've also read that Porsche used sub-standard materials for the liners in this first mass-produced engine which has an impact also.

+1 for hartech. Jamie I think the blokes name was. My mate used him to rebuild his 996 when it went pop. Jamie drove to Portsmouth on a Sunday and picked it up and had it all done in a couple of weeks. My mate said it was around the 6k mark.

Edited by jimboy2