Temporary toy for the summer - Porsche Cayman S

Adrian@TORQEN

Stick it up at 14995 and the best of luck to you.

After all that work lots of people would be happier knowing they are getting a car thats good for a few years ahead.

Especially with the track record of those engines it would be better to buy after its all sorted.

• Like 1

Stick it up at 14995 and the best of luck to you.

After all that work lots of people would be happier knowing they are getting a car thats good for a few years ahead.

Especially with the track record of those engines it would be better to buy after its all sorted.

Agreed, when I was half looking for one. I'd have been much more inclined to buy a car that had already had the IMS / RMS and any engine issues sorted.

Pins in the pistons to stop the rings rotating like a two stroke..... that`s interesting.

Wonder if they have anything to do with the scoring of the bores ?.. just a thought.

That is a very good point! but surely the pins would make one score if in contact with the bore as the piston can't rotate on the con-rod. From what I have read the bore scoring is caused by the pistons become oval shaped as a result of heat. The piston skirt is seems very short though

You just have to scroll back where the bore scoring photos are in this thread and also the ones with the coating on the pistons being damaged. It's generated by extreme temperatures / heat / deforming. Clearly nothing to do with the pins.

Edited by octet@TORQEN

Sorry my concern over the pins was if they came loose in the piston and then contacted the bore. Not as the only cause for scoring just as an additional.

Check these out for short pistons, like most jap motorbikes today

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/361332242389?adgroupid=&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Whoa didn't realised this thread is from 2015 until i read all the way through. Sorry you had a bad experience Adrian but glad you're happy now. Did you ever buy another Porsche /  consider buying in the future out of curiosity ?

p.s. came across this thread as i am currently considering buying a 2008 Porsche Cayman

Edited by DarmoZ