Temporary toy for the summer - Porsche Cayman S

Adrian@TORQEN

Yes, but worried a bit now... I think I'm just going to risk it :lol:

I made sure I bought a car that already had the IMS upgrade, otherwise it was something I was going to do. Not really a big job to do if your that worried about it & also a good selling point. The cars with the upgrade certainly sell for a bit more so it would be money well spent.

There is risk in buying any used car & always seems to be something that could fail with every model. look at the vq35de, lots of engine failures due to improper fuel, oil.

No. None of the DFI engines (MY09+) have an IMS to fail. Essentially it's 9x7.2 cars and on, as the 987.2 2.7 Cayman non-S isn't a DFI engine.

That's why I specifically bought the 911 I did. :)

My mate had a 996 911. He had a oil seal blow which he had repaired along with a full service costing a grand and then had the ims fail on him causing him a full rebuild at hartech costing him 6k I think? He had the car for 6 months. 3 of which were spent in the garage.

But he is the type of bloke to own one just to say he had it.

The thing was ancient and I think it cost him 10k. Knew it wouldn't last. Has put me off a bit, but would mind a caymen. Will wait for the later ones to come down in price a bit.