• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Green
    • I'm not voting

So where do we stand on this then, fellow forumites? Who are you voting for come polling day?

Quite honestly, I tend to side with UKIP on most matters so really that's where my tick should go. However, I strongly believe we should stay in the EU, so I won't be voting for them based on that alone as it's their single main policy. There's not really much to choose between Con or Lab if I'm honest, if you look at their policies. Dave has become less and less impressive as the weeks have gone on, but Ed is a cretin who makes my skin crawl when he speaks. I don't trust Lab to have "fully costed spending plans", but neither do I think Cons should enshrine in law that they won't raise taxes: What if there's a genuine need to?

Ultimately, it has come down to this for me: Do I want more of the same that we've had over the last five years, or do I want a change? Frankly, another five years of the same would suit me just fine. They've done a pretty good job with the economy given the mess that was left, and I agree that cuts to pay off debt quickly is better than borrowing more to plough into the welfare state and public services. I'm hoping we'll get a Con/LD coalition again, but that's looking very unlikely with the rise of the SNP north of the border. Clegg is a reasonable guy who I'm happy with as Deputy PM, whereas the thought of someone who does not even want to be part of the UK holding that post sickens me.

In short, it's Conservative for me this time.

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 2

Got to say I generally tend to agree with what you say, although UKIP worry me that there's a lot of people are going to vote for them and I'd rather have a coalition the same as last time. It amazes me how short people's memories are. It's really not that long ago that left wing politics nearly bankrupt the country and they have spent that whole of the last parliament opposing everything that was being put in place that actually happens to be working!! There was a general 'missing of the point' yesterday by the press when the latest growth figures showed it slowed in the very recent months. They don't realise that business, that is driving the recovery, is reluctant to commit to anything while there is the threat of a change of leadership to one that would undoubtably just ruin things again. Sadly it really makes no difference in my constituancy (Tatton - George Osbourne) what you vote, there is an overwhealming Tory majority. Although we are famous for getting Neil Hamilton out and Martin Bell in :teeth:

Got to say I generally tend to agree with what you say, although UKIP worry me that there's a lot of people are going to vote for them and I'd rather have a coalition the same as last time. It amazes me how short people's memories are. It's really not that long ago that left wing politics nearly bankrupt the country and they have spent that whole of the last parliament opposing everything that was being put in place that actually happens to be working!! There was a general 'missing of the point' yesterday by the press when the latest growth figures showed it slowed in the very recent months. They don't realise that business, that is driving the recovery, is reluctant to commit to anything while there is the threat of a change of leadership to one that would undoubtably just ruin things again. Sadly it really makes no difference in my constituancy (Tatton - George Osbourne) what you vote, there is an overwhealming Tory majority. Although we are famous for getting Neil Hamilton out and Martin Bell in :teeth:

My parents have a flat for sale, nothing extravagant, it's a 2 bedroom flat for around half a mil, they were told last month that it won't get any offers before the election. Apparently everything which is long term stops in the months in the run up to an election.

I'm a green according to the tests I keep doing online, but none of them have any questions about large engined, petrol cars :shrug: just healthcare, education and other such minor issues :lol:

Going Labour as they are 1 degree more to the left than the Tories and I'd like to keep them out of my constituency. Until SNP go UK-wide, I've got no other choice!

• Like 3

I find UKIP quite abhorrent in most of what they say, clearly there has to be a control on illegal immigration but why not have movement of people? I have been a foreigner in another country twice working and I brought some unique skills sets, it just doesn't feel to me that UKIP have that appreciation, they look at individuals and seem to want to tar many people with simple brushes. Breaking out the EU isnt a good thing in my mind, we simply weaken our global standing and forego the powers we have in the EU (which are bigger than our 'market share' anyway) - it doesnt seem a reasonable business move and hence why I wouldnt let a UKIPer anywhere near the treasury.

As a few said, I have done ok in the last 5 years, made redundant twice (not due to immigration I might add) but worked hard either cleaning cars to teaching in schools until I got back into what I was doing before. So thinking that change right now is not going to be good for the economy...so guess that sticks me in the Tory camp.

A lot of what people think UKIP want to do is led by social media and people just making stuff up for the sake of a bit of popularity. UKIP do not want to stop immigration, they want to move to a skills-based system instead so that we let people in with the skills we need, and stop freeloaders who come for the benefits. If we find we have lots of low paid jobs suddenly cropping up, then the system can be relaxed to take up the slack.

I'm with you though on leaving the EU, it simply isn't good business sense and I'd rather we turned around to the EU on some things and told them to stick it than simply quit altogether.

Not voting, unless I can do it at home online without moving an inch :lol:

Sorry dude, but that's crap. You SHOULD get out and vote, there's enough stuff out there to enable you to make a reasoned decision as to who gets your vote without you moving off the couch (VoteForPolicies, for example).

You could've done a postal vote, and that wouldn't have made any difference to your life at all. You could also have done a proxy vote, but it's too late for that now as well.

20 mins of your time to decide who runs the entire country for five years is nothing. I bet you spent more time today with your willy in your hand :p;)

• Like 2

Not voting, unless I can do it at home online without moving an inch :lol:

Sorry dude, but that's crap. You SHOULD get out and vote, there's enough stuff out there to enable you to make a reasoned decision as to who gets your vote without you moving off the couch (VoteForPolicies, for example).

You could've done a postal vote, and that wouldn't have made any difference to your life at all. You could also have done a proxy vote, but it's too late for that now as well.

20 mins of your time to decide who runs the entire country for five years is nothing. I bet you spent more time today with your willy in your hand :p;)

Quite possibly :lol:

I'd end up voting for UKIP for the wrong reasons, I've not looked into what any of the parties are offering, as you say, only from social media.

So my vote wouldn't be just.

So do some research. Go through the VoteForPolicies page and just vote for whoever comes out. Easy, and arguably better than these people who just vote for Con or Lab simply because they've always done, or because they hate Maggie/Blair.

• Like 2

People have literally died so everyone can vote and a third of the population would prefer to sit at home and bash one out instead of trying to change things which they don't agree with.

I think we should have compulsory voting like in Australia

• Like 3

A lot of what people think UKIP want to do is led by social media and people just making stuff up for the sake of a bit of popularity. UKIP do not want to stop immigration, they want to move to a skills-based system instead so that we let people in with the skills we need, and stop freeloaders who come for the benefits. If we find we have lots of low paid jobs suddenly cropping up, then the system can be relaxed to take up the slack.

I'm with you though on leaving the EU, it simply isn't good business sense and I'd rather we turned around to the EU on some things and told them to stick it than simply quit altogether.

That makes sense but it has to work both ways, we ship out the freeloaders who are born here who refuse to work and never work who also make up much more of the benefits claimants than immigrants. Other countries in the EU take more immigrants than us, we get fed a load of stuff about them all making a beeline for us, but the numbers show Germany take many more than we do.

But yes leaving the EU right now is daft, we would be very alone on our little island in the global economy!

I'm actually going to hop in the car, drive from Stratford back to my home town to vote (and do an oil change whilst I'm at it :lol:).

I've said this elsewhere but what peev's me is the fact that most of these politicians are a bunch of soft pussies. I'd rather someone that can stand up for themselves, not give a toss about media and lead the UK, and cut out that god awful inter-political bickering.

The last one that had balls in my opinion was Thatcher (ironic eh). Of course we don't need Hitler v2 but we need some changes here being lead at the front because the largely just seem the same to me, no matter which party ends up winning.

Anyway, another :thumbs: for this:

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

People have literally died so everyone can vote and a third of the population would prefer to sit at home and bash one out instead of trying to change things which they don't agree with.

I think we should have compulsory voting like in Australia

Surely 'people died' not to force people to vote, but for people to have control over their own decisions and to decide if they want to vote, they can. A non vote is a wasted vote, but the only impact is that person has no say in who ultimately wins so they lose out. Although our system of voting means votes are wasted anyway, vote Tory in Scotland for instance?

• Like 1

I just can't bring myself to vote Tory, mainly due to the fact that I work in the public sector and they seem to be so against it. One look at the sort of people who campaign for UKIP (and their leader..and their rubbish logo :) ) keeps me away from them, although I do agree that we need better control of immigration and I think we should cut the foreign aid budget.

So...probably Lib Dem on the basis that ia vote for labour ain't going to make any difference where I live.

I honestly think coming out of the EU would be a disaster, and you're average Brit is the most politically unaware person in the world.

A referendum would be a huge mistake.

I think people should have to complete a basic 5 question test before they vote, if they fail their vote shouldn't be counted.

Where I live the masses vote labour..ask them why and you get one of 2 answers "labour are for the working man" or "my family has always voted labour".

If you then ask what concerns them, most will say "immigration" or "benefit scroungers".

They're genuinely clueless. Most don't know the difference between right wing and left wing.

This is the way the ruling class like it. Does no one else think it's strange that basic politics isn't part of the national curriculum?

It's hardly rocket science and very basic.

• Like 1

I just can't bring myself to vote Tory, mainly due to the fact that I work in the public sector and they seem to be so against it. One look at the sort of people who campaign for UKIP (and their leader..and their rubbish logo :) ) keeps me away from them, although I do agree that we need better control of immigration and I think we should cut the foreign aid budget.

So...probably Lib Dem on the basis that ia vote for labour ain't going to make any difference where I live.

I'd never vote lib dem....some of their policies are crazy.

If they had their way, you wouldn't be able to drive your Z in 5 years.

The only way this country will move forward and improve, is when we remove the political class and let "real" people run the country.

I would say the queens cousin, educated at Eton has little "real life" experience.

I would say the queens cousin, educated at Eton has little "real life" experience.

On the flipside, I'd say that the average man has little idea of how to interact with foreign superpowers over territorial disputes, or handle a budget of £1Tn.