Appreciating assets/investments

Jetpilot

Jap-wise, i'd say definitely the GT-Four. I made a stonking profit on both ST185 and St205 models, they've appreciated recently. Probably the Nissan pulsar, especially the later models. I'd imagine the RX7 would be a future classic, any skyline (even the fugly R33 GTR). Toyota supra MK4, Mazda 323f GTR and perhaps the Glanza EP82 model.

• Like 1

To be honest though unless you find something ultra rare, if you just want to save money/invest most of the cars mentioned don't appreciate enough to be best just sticking the money in the bank.

£10,000 saved up for 20 years (about how long you have to keep these cars for) with a 4% average interest rate (last 5 years of 0.5% is really abnormal historically), would be worth £22,000 due to compound interest.

Given if you buy one of these cars to invest in, you never drive it and it'll just sit in the garage, I don't see why you would buy one as an investment....Unless your super rich and want a garage of cars to stare at??

It's kind of sad that some of the best HyperCars in the world are destined to just in a garages of the ultra wealthy and never ever been enjoyed for what they were designed to do :(

Kind...of agree - there are plenty of short term big gains to be had in cars. If I held onto my VX220 for another 18 months I would have made around £2k on it on an £7k outlay based on 'for sale' prices online - although it was in superb condition and would have got pretty close to asking price I think. You wont get that return from a bank.

Kind...of agree - there are plenty of short term big gains to be had in cars. If I held onto my VX220 for another 18 months I would have made around £2k on it on an £7k outlay based on 'for sale' prices online - although it was in superb condition and would have got pretty close to asking price I think. You wont get that return from a bank.

I just think nice/classic cars should be bought and used, have money spent on them if needed, not kept locked up as a musem item.

As regards to buying one for short term investment, it's a risk, you have no idea where prices are heading, or if something's going to break etc....If your willing to take risk there's plenty of investment 'options', I know a few people who have had 10-12% return on their investment portfolios in the last 18 months, but it's all a risk, and they can afford to 'loss' the initial investment...Which if you look at current stock market trends, they might just end up doing if they don't sell up soon....But when you have an investment product returning 10% interest, it's very hard to let it go...untill it's too late...I think it's called 'greed' :wacko: .

The only 'safe' appreciating assets I can think of is good old land/houses.....I'm not saying buy-to-let is a good way to plan your pension, but on the whole house prices just go up and up over the decades...If you can afford to move, and not have to sell your current house, by the time you've moved 3 times your have a nice little property portfolio....I'm seriously thinking that's the way we'll going to go. It'll mean another massive 85-90% LTV mortagage when we move again, but longterm wise, it's a pretty safe way to increase your equity....Providing interest rates stay put, otherwise it'll be a living nightmare, if rates go up, you cannot afford the mortgage, and the market takes a nose dive so you cannot even sell your old house, teneants defaults on rent, and now you have two mortagages to pay with no cash in the bank :surrender:

Randomly came across this...Written in 2011, predicting the next reccesion will hit 26th of April 2015...Driven by debt(what else) but this time in China.

http://www.slate.com...ic_of_2015.html

And in Feb 2015, everyone is now worried about debt in China...Because actually alot of the drive for the stupid house prices in the South/London is by forign cash (financed by debt)

http://www.bloomberg...t-spur-stimulus

So actually maybe just 'investing' £4K in a old DC2 Integra R and than doing it up in the garage might be most sensible thing to do :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

Tell me about it, think I paid about £6500 for it which at the time was a lot but it was in tip top condition. 100% rekt.

I test drove one of them back in 2000 at a local BMW garage and they wanted £28k for it! Unfortunately the insurance quotes I was getting were ridiculous. £3000+ if i remember rightly. The same companies were quoting me about £300 for a 328i.

Tell me about it, think I paid about £6500 for it which at the time was a lot but it was in tip top condition. 100% rekt.

I test drove one of them back in 2000 at a local BMW garage and they wanted £28k for it! Unfortunately the insurance quotes I was getting were ridiculous. £3000+ if i remember rightly. The same companies were quoting me about £300 for a 328i.

Yeah insurance was insane, I think I was paying £1500 only a few years ago :lol: and when I done 3/400 miles in 6 months it was a total waste of money.

Yeah insurance was insane, I think I was paying £1500 only a few years ago :lol: and when I done 3/400 miles in 6 months it was a total waste of money.

That was nothing though from what you were making mewling your drugs around!
  • Like 2

To be honest though unless you find something ultra rare, if you just want to save money/invest most of the cars mentioned don't appreciate enough to be best just sticking the money in the bank.

I have a friend who has made £45,000 in just under 18 months on a GT3RS, one who made 15K in 18 months on a 964 Cup and another who in fairness got a bargain but reckons hes made at least £10K on his 240Z in the 6 months hes owned it.

HAGI reckon the limited edition Porsches have gone up an average 24% in the last year, and unlike high risk investments these cars are always going to have some value as well. Not driving them is the same as not drinking investment wine, or putting art and jewelery in a safe deposit i.e. something that goes on every day.

Likewise, my brother bought an Evo8, put 15K miles on it over 3 years and sold it for more than he bought it for, Ive no doubt our MR2, Range Rover and GTI-6 will all make a grand or two more than we paid when we come to sell them on in a few years.

I doubt a Z8 was £28K in 2000 BTW, it was still in production at the time and I remember my boss paying close to 100K for one, I think you might mean the Z1 ;)

If you know of a bank account that will return 33% annual interest then Im all ears, really I am ;)

I have a friend who has made £45,000 in just under 18 months on a GT3RS, one who made 15K in 18 months on a 964 Cup and another who in fairness got a bargain but reckons hes made at least £10K on his 240Z in the 6 months hes owned it.

HAGI reckon the limited edition Porsches have gone up an average 24% in the last year, and unlike high risk investments these cars are always going to have some value as well. Not driving them is the same as not drinking investment wine, or putting art and jewelery in a safe deposit i.e. something that goes on every day.

Likewise, my brother bought an Evo8, put 15K miles on it over 3 years and sold it for more than he bought it for, Ive no doubt our MR2, Range Rover and GTI-6 will all make a grand or two more than we paid when we come to sell them on in a few years.

I doubt a Z8 was £28K in 2000 BTW, it was still in production at the time and I remember my boss paying close to 100K for one, I think you might mean the Z1 ;)

If you know of a bank account that will return 33% annual interest then Im all ears, really I am ;)

Exactly, we have an erm, lets call it a sizeable lump, of cash we want to use for the next year after the sale of our flat - speaking to the banks best thing you can get in terms of just slinging it in and leaving it there is max 2% - hardly groun breaking stuff, I made more than x5 that on my last two cars over the space of 8 months and I drove both regularly.

I dont think its that hard finding cars you know are at the bottom of the depreciation scale, its knowing which are going to pick up soon but the rarity of them tends to help with that decision. Wife and I actually considered buying a few rare cars as an investment over the next year and selling on!

I would say that is probably more to with buying the right car at the right price, i.e a sensible purchase. I have never been a fan of going on current advertised prices and unless your in the market with cash in hand, you never know what they actually sell for :)

I wouldnt buy a car as an investment as you are limiting yourself to a % return or particular sum, unless your prepared to sit on for some time. Much better as you have done, buy a car, improve,enjoy the experience and sell on without concerning yourself with "profit"

Bubble? GT3 RS build slots going for £100k over list? Nah, market's severely depressed, great time to buy, going ballistic anytime soon...

I know the gt3's are good cars but cant really appreciate why these figures are being generated, same with the above thread.

A mate of mine bought a Ferrari 360 CS 2nd hand, only drove it for 6 months but took him near on a year to sell It after that and at a hefty loss and look at prices of those now.

There Is a fella local to me who makes a very tidy living selling new cars at a premium, mostly all of them go out to the uae. He is blacklisted by all the major manufacturers but for a nice drink and a days ownership there are plenty of people happy to let him use their name and details.

I have a friend who has made £45,000 in just under 18 months on a GT3RS,

WOAH!!!!! Why didnt I know this earlier? Theres me chucking about £6500 down the drain for 18 months of 350z ownership when had I bought a GT3RS it could have not only paid for all the fuel it would cost to drive it to work and back and be "free" motoring for 18 months, but could also pay for my house extension at the same time!

[rabbitstew scuttles off to look at porsches on autotrader.....]

My cousin (29 years old the bastard) has also recently spent the profits from a recent house renovation on a 997 Turbo, he reckons at worst he will lose maybe 5K from driving it about for a bit under a year. Nice work if you can get it ...........

• Like 1

Thoughts on some of the rarer Scoobs going up, type ra's, maybe even sti's?

Unless it's a 22B, it's unlikely IMO. I can't even see the 22B's going up much more but they'll probably retain their current value.

The RA's (or perhaps even a well looked after R) might perk up by a few quid if enough of the others get removed from existence in one way or another, although it's already difficult enough to find one that's not been "fettled" with let alone in another decade or so, but I can't see them raising in price significantly.

• 2 weeks later...