Americanisms

twobears

similarly to this thread, I've always been really puzzled about it and found it strange but never been in a place to ask the question:

Why do so many people love American culture so much?

e.g: Fried chicken shops everywhere. Every shopping area has all the big names, Starbucks, Burger King, Mcdonalds etc.

A huge number and variety of ads on tv for no apparent reason feature American accents.

I'm fairly well travelled and haven't noticed this in any other country and coming from Australia where it's the opposite attitude, Starbucks failed there and running a tv ad in the accent would put you out of business fast.

When we adopt Americanisms willy nilly (now there's a lovely old English term :lol: ) I think we do English a disservice because, to me at least, English and American English should retain their differences as well as their commonalities. If we all end up speaking American English it will be a shame as we will have lost something valuable.

We all have "isms" that are part of where you come from. For example, Australians frequently start their sentence with "look", In South Wales sentences often end with "isn't it" and Scoucers frequently start and end sentences with "you know" :lol: . I'm sure there are many others in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. Then there's pronunciations. Caroline and I were born about 20 miles apart yet have different ways of pronouncing words like "scone", "garage" and a few more besides :)

Pete

similarly to this thread, I've always been really puzzled about it and found it strange but never been in a place to ask the question:

e.g: Fried chicken shops everywhere. Every shopping area has all the big names, Starbucks, Burger King, Mcdonalds etc.

A huge number and variety of ads on tv for no apparent reason feature American accents.

I'm fairly well travelled and haven't noticed this in any other country and coming from Australia where it's the opposite attitude, Starbucks failed there and running a tv ad in the accent would put you out of business fast.

I respect your views but I don't feel any antipathy towards America or Americans. I like a lot of their culture just as much as that of the UK. A couple of years ago I kept trying to get Mr Twobears to get a job in the US because I wanted to live there. I've got no quarrel at all with American English. I just don't want to lose the unique nature of our language with its myriad ways of saying the same thing (SynonymsRUs?) and whacky spellings :teeth:

JetSet, that's what I love as well, regional variations in spelling/pronunciation/words. I love a bit of South Derbyshire talk myself because my Nan was from there and she used to make me laugh with some of her expressions. I try to keep them alive in her memory :)

If you want to talk about Canadianisms . . on a number of occasions, and not just me, we can go in to a shop and ask for something, lets say a loaf of bread. The conversation goes something like this. . .

"Hi, can you tell me which aisle the bread is in?"

Blank look from assistant

"Can you tell me where the bread is?"

Assistant says "the . . . ."

"Can you tell me where the bread is eh?"

"Aisle 7 on the right" is the reply.

I thought they were taking the **** to begin with, but they are actually not, they don't understand unless you say "eh" at the end of the sentence.

:lol:

• Like 6

Jo's got a Canadian NQT in her school atm, and she's really nice but she's also incredibly easy to wind up. We either keep referring to her as American, or we keep saying she's from Canadia (not a typo, say it out loud) :lol:

Interestingly I work with an American who has a love of linguistics and he shared an article with me a while back which made a case for American English being closer to the English in use over here when the mayflower sailed. If I can find it I will share.

There are several words that are considered to be Americanisms which are actually words that originated in The U.K but are no longer in use here...like Faucet, Diaper, Fall (Autumn) and Candy, most Brits will be familiar with these words bur rarely if ever use them. The main differences are in pronunciation, ever heard an American pronounce "Buoy" for example (they pronounce it "booey"). I only realized this when watching the CNN coverage of Hurricane Katrina and wondered what on Earth these booeys were :) Americans are less familiar with some of the slang we use, my American mate had no idea what a butty was :lol: .

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

Scandinavian countries are far more Americanised than the UK, as for fried chicken, McDs & BK, I don't think the UK has the monopoly on those either they are in pretty much every country across the globe :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've stated this before so forgive me for repeating myself but, "gotten" is not an Americanism. it's just the old form of "got".We (the Brits) have evolved since those days and have decided to drop the "ten" from got, the Americans have not as they speak a far older form than we do. It may also surprise you to know that the phrase "stiff upper lip" is not british but American. Who'd've thunk it eh? But I know what you mean twobears, I don't like Americanisms that bare no relation to our culture. Such as "ball park figure" what was wrong with the word "estimate"? "step up to the plate" what bloody plate? Apparently it comes from baseball... we don't play baseball.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Rock_Steady (and I have to ask, are you named after the musical style?) I've read many times that 'gotten' was originally an English word, although I've never checked the veracity of this, and, if America wants to pick up and use our cast offs that's fine but if we think "got" no longer works for us then we must invent a new word, not go back in time and start speaking as though we had returned to a previous century! There are a few words from 'ye olden days' that might be able to be pressed into service again I suppose but I am reluctant to begin speaking like an extra in Blackadder :lol:

StevoD, yes, you are right. Language must evolve which, to me, means going forward rather than back.

Like the poster who complained about the Americanisation of our high streets (and he has a point although I welcome foods of all nations 'cos I'm a greedy sod :surrender: ) I worry that we will lose the vibrancy and richness of English if we all succumb to American English without a fight :boxing:

• Like 1

Another word I've noticed being used, particularly by younger people (sorry but I am an elderly lady :wheelchair: ), is "so" at the beginning of a sentence. To my elderly ears this sounds as though the sentence which follows should be declamatory and yet it is often the most banal statement, or question, imaginable. Is that an American trait or is it simply a way of making yourself sound inadvertently pompous?

Heads Up

My Bad

Zee instead of Z

Rotors instead of Disc brakes

Besides americanisms creeping into the language, our high streets are swamped with american fast food and coffee outlets

I just want an ordinary cup of coffee, instead of a cappuccino or some feckin americano :rant:

I have also been known to use the word vacation outside of work :blush:

Ive been saying "heads up" when playing football since I was a kid,

I'm sorry, but I've never heard the term "heads up" in normal conversation.....maybe that's because I'm of a certain age I don't know.

my bad although not grammatically correct is a lot easier than saying "Im awfully sorry, I believe the mistake in that instance was mine"

You don't need to say all that, how about, "my mistake"

Zee is how the entire rest of the world says the letter "Z"

I'm aware of that, but in the UK we say Zed

and rotors are the rotating part of the brake TBF .......

The rotating part of the brake has always been called a disc in my book. Rotors are the twirly bits on top of helicopters :D

• Like 1

I'd say roll but they are all good words. Mr Twobears would say 'bun' which used to make me laugh because to me that's a small cake :D One of my work colleagues from the north east used to call it a 'hoagie' which I'd not heard until I met him. I've lived in a lot of different parts of the UK and the 'language of bread' has more variety anything else I think. Mmmm, bread, must go and get some to eat now :thumbs:

Like the poster who complained about the Americanisation of our high streets (and he has a point although I welcome foods of all nations 'cos I'm a greedy sod :surrender: ) I worry that we will lose the vibrancy and richness of English if we all succumb to American English without a fight :boxing:

I'm all for foods from different nations twobears, its just that I would prefer to see some individual creativeness, enthusiasm and variety provided from local businesses, rather than the blandness of multinationals on every corner. Unfortunately, local businesses have been priced out of the market by big bucks.

• Like 1

I'm in total agreement with you in that case. The homogeneity of our high streets is too depressing. How much nicer it would be to have towns and villages with individuality and real character. It's been said often but you really could stand in almost any modern town centre and see exactly the same boring shops/fast food outlets. One place that has avoided that in some ways is Ludlow. Pity more places don't take up the challenge and step away from the 'AnyTown' image.

Utter bobbins.

The reason small businesses have died is because nobody wants them. The market wants big companies and cheap prices, and that's been good for everyone as we have jobs, more facilities, and cheaper products. People have driven this, and they got what they wanted.

I live in a large village/small town, and it's a lovely balance of local shops but with a mini Sainsburys and a decent size Boots. I like the small places, but I need the big chains.

• Like 1

Another word I've noticed being used, particularly by younger people (sorry but I am an elderly lady :wheelchair: ), is "so" at the beginning of a sentence. To my elderly ears this sounds as though the sentence which follows should be declamatory and yet it is often the most banal statement, or question, imaginable. Is that an American trait or is it simply a way of making yourself sound inadvertently pompous?

pompous/stupid

see below

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92397-whats-all-this-starting-a-sentence-with-so/

• Like 1

Think you need to read up on Chavism and you will see why the hyphen is required to make the point. Unless you use the Urban dictionary as POR.

I had Ludlow as my town for my O Level Geography project being a good example of limited employment unless you wanted to work on a farm and not enough social establishments for younger people who had leave to find work and cost effective housing meaning the town developed into a niche place geared tor visitors and not locals.