Advice for damage to car

dannybz

Was parked up at traffic lights and was pulling off to turn right and the guy on my left was moving to go straight on was in a mitsi pickup truck towing a big wide metal trailer. As he moved off his trailer hit my passenger side door, he did not stop so i went after him and got his plates. Then called the police. Unfortunately i had no witnesses or anything but i have reported this now to the insurance esure. The problem is my excess is £500 and in order to fight for that money back from the other driver i have to pay the excess first :( and then there is a risk of not winning.

Auto restore came to give me the quote, as that is who esure use, they are a mobile repairer and they said £1300. esure will not let me use any other service unless i pay £200 to change the repairer.

Fuming not sure what to do here. I am gonna get some quotes from a few other garages myself, and see how much they quote if its cheap enough i might aswell have to sort it myself. Or else pay the 500 excess and get auto restore to do it, but then risk not getting the money back.

Door suffered the most but there is some damage to the arch too. a few minor scratches to the rear panel too.

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

Edited by dannybz

And here's a reason not to use E-Sure ever again :(

Go find a local body shop and get a quote, then decide whether you want to go with them yourself if it's less than £500, or if it's above just go with who E-Sure want you to use. Tbh mate this is only ever going to go 50/50 at this point so either way you're out of pocket, sadly.

I'd be tempted just to go through the insurance now, as since you've informed them about the accident you now have to declare that next time round anyway.

Feel bad for you buddy!

People go on about Audi and Beamer drivers but I find the people who drive those Mitsubishi pick up things to be some of the worst drivers around. Usually arrogant to go with it!

I once had a women scrape along the side of my type r while it was parked and luckily I just caught her as she was about to drive away. Had to push her to get her to admit it!

As rabbit stew said is there any paint transfer on the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel bad for you buddy!

People go on about Audi and Beamer drivers but I find the people who drive those Mitsubishi pick up things to be some of the worst drivers around. Usually arrogant to go with it!

I once had a women scrape along the side of my type r while it was parked and luckily I just caught her as she was about to drive away. Had to push her to get her to admit it!

As rabbit stew said is there any paint transfer on the trailer?

Funny you mentioned that the copper that went to see him said he was being cocky and arrogant and said he wasn't having it! to*S*er! no paint was found on the trailer the copper said. Wish i had tried harder to pull him over, the thing is, the guy sounded like a bit of trouble... so there was an issue of possible getting into a scrap and it was in the middle of the night not many people around to witness. What are you supposed to do?

Another thing the trailer was a different plate to the car which is apparently illegal. Does the damage look bad in your opinion, it doesn't look as bad in the pic tbh.

Edited by dannybz

Sorry to hear that mate.......sooooo annoying ! What is wrong with people....no respect or morals for sure. GRRRRHHH. I would defo get more quotes, be persistent and push for there best price. All the best and keep us posted on the updates :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the news - really this is a hit and run and as he sounds an arrogant sod chances are he would would put the blame your way.

Sadly, either down to you or your insurance company - really don't like putting that forward, but as I think you have already suggested might be best to get it fixed rather than pursuing what is likley to be a lost cause and you are then still no further forward :shrug:

Deleted your double post btw ;)

Yeah, £1300 does seem ridiculously high. I think you could re-spray a Micra for that money. With a good paint match, that door repair should be roughly £250 / £300 i'd've thought. Can't think how they arrived at 1k on top of that.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Half that quote would be expensive. I'm pretty sure that's fixable for less than your excess.

As Ekona says, the insurance has been informed so you're stuff for the next 5 years paying for it anyway, so go through them and force them to accept a bodyshop to do the work.

Half that quote would be expensive. I'm pretty sure that's fixable for less than your excess.

As Ekona says, the insurance has been informed so you're stuff for the next 5 years paying for it anyway, so go through them and force them to accept a bodyshop to do the work.

This is why you have to think carefully before calling the insurers for anything that appears to be marginal damage...

Controllable environment, proper oven, for starters.

Maybe time to invest in a blackvue or similar

Funnily enough, i was looking into importing these, i own an importing business that's what i do but currently just focus selling GPS systems.

Edited by dannybz

Insurance has been informed but it will show as a "non fault" accident if no claim goes ahead, just for the record this rarely makes any difference to the premium.

• Like 1

A few years back a dizzy bitch reversed in2 my 3 week old Impreza Sti, I was walking back to it and saw the bump. She admitted liability and it went down as a non-fault claim but it still slightly increased my premium for the next few years

Controllable environment, proper oven, for starters.

Maybe time to invest in a blackvue or similar

Yep. A decent body shop should have a proper paint booth with facilities to 'bake' the finish, proper paint mixing systems etc. I'm not saying all mobile refurbs do a bad job, but they're for a quick in and out job on areas where blending the paint isn't so difficult e.g bumper scuffs. A large door scratch is a different matter entirely and needs to be done properly. Oh and another point of mobile refurbs is they're supposed to be cheap! £1300 is a joke quote.