Dangers of cheap tyres

chrisday1990

If you folks think that the Zed handles 'like on rails' on crappy tyres, then you're going to get a real shock when you put it on something decent. ;)

I honestly think If I'd had good tyres on my Zed (I purchased new tyres on this very night) then I wouldn't of had the accident that I had. Granted I hit a patch of the Icy stuff but I think following the loss of grip a set of good tyres would of put me straight quicker instead of continuing the slide.

I will never take the risk again, the only time I will drive one of my cars on with Cheap tyres is to the garage to have new tyres fitted.

I dread to think what my renewal price is going to be next year with a write off on it.

You're probably right CJRamze.

For my Z's - the370z has quality boots fitted already by the previous owner and I've only had it just over a month and for the zx6r, which gets some road and a lot of track use I spare no expense in the tyre dept and no question it's going to be the best available, they're the single most important item for both bike and car of these types.

O.P, you're right, the previous owner is a fool, or too cheeky putting those nasty things on just to help the sale.

You say it's a shame to change them and they have loads of grip- Solution: I'll take em off your hands and deal with the grip. I'm looking for some cheap tyres and rims. And a place to smoke em legally. :lol:

• Like 1

Tyres for me play such an important part when buying a used car, especially on a performance car. If the previous owners put £50 ditch finders on it, it makes you wonder what else they've cut costs on.

• Like 1

I recently had to replace the two rear tyres after puncturing them both at the same time. It was running on Avon ZZ3 which to be fair were good tyres. However the only tyres I could get short notice were Bridgestone RE050 A. So far they have been ok if a little noisier but that's due to a stiffer side wall. Michelin pilot series tyres have always been my preferred choice on other cars as they combine good wet grip and are quieter overall.

I've also run Eagle F1s and Conti contact sports on previous BMWS which were also great tyres.

Tyres for me play such an important part when buying a used car, especially on a performance car. If the previous owners put £50 ditch finders on it, it makes you wonder what else they've cut costs on.

Exactly. If you are buying privately then you need to challenge them on their decisions.

I recently put a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's on the Zed for £464 on tyreleader, fitting was on top of course.

What can I say, they are absolutely brilliant, looking forward to trying my second track day at Combe

Yeah I'm running Eagle F1's, very impressed. They work great on the road and both wet and dry trackdays. I met you at Castle Combe last year. Enjoy your next trackday.

Hey, how's it going?

I'm a bit more prepared for the next one now, decent brake and clutch fluid, new tyres, and soon ill be sticking in some DS2500 pads to replace the OEM's.

Should be good, can't be any worse than those knackard Toyos!!

@RedZed I see what youre saying but really if you cant afford to put performance tyres on your performance car maybe should buy something that will be cheaper to run? just putting it out there. Cant afford it - don't run it.

I have to say that when we were looking for our current Zed I walked away from a lot of cars based on what tyres they had on them, as others have said its an easy indicator of care for the car isn't it, if youre willing to put cheap tyres on the car then who knows what else you've cheaped out on in its care.

My personal experience with tyres is that the MPSS were night and day better than the RE050s we had on it originally and for a while we had RE040s which were shocking. with the MPSS on the car handles night and day better in the wet. I haven't had the back end step out since the tyres were changed full stop. I used to put whatever cheap rubbish on my corsa back in the day and even on that wet braking was noticeably worse than on decent tyres. And my last example is that my friend was driving his Passat down the M1 being followed by the Mrs in the Zed. Weather was torrential, road was soaked with standing water etc. Neither of them were travelling fast and my friends car span off the road as it aquaplaned. The Mrs had not a jot of problem on the MPSS at the same speed. I know there are a lot of factors involved in something like this but a FWD 2L TDI Passat being driven sensibly shouldn't struggle in those conditions more than the Zed. I believe the main problem was that his car was running 3 different branded ditch finders and a winter tyre :(. I warned him to get them all changed. Thankfully he was fine but his car was written off.

Tyres are so important and even if youre driving something mundane in that time where there is extreme conditions - emergency braking for a hazard, terrible weather etc etc then decent tyres prove their worth. And lets be honest we cant avoid extreme conditions they happen to everyone.

Just my 2cents

Ed

Edited by hawker1986

@RedZed I see what youre saying but really if you cant afford to put performance tyres on your performance car maybe should buy something that will be cheaper to run? just putting it out there. Cant afford it - don't run it.

I have to say that when we were looking for our current Zed I walked away from a lot of cars based on what tyres they had on them, as others have said its an easy indicator of care for the car isn't it, if youre willing to put cheap tyres on the car then who knows what else you've cheaped out on in its care.

My personal experience with tyres is that the MPSS were night and day better than the RE050s we had on it originally and for a while we had RE040s which were shocking. with the MPSS on the car handles night and day better in the wet. I haven't had the back end step out since the tyres were changed full stop. I used to put whatever cheap rubbish on my corsa back in the day and even on that wet braking was noticeably worse than on decent tyres. And my last example is that my friend was driving his Passat down the M1 being followed by the Mrs in the Zed. Weather was torrential, road was soaked with standing water etc. Neither of them were travelling fast and my friends car span off the road as it aquaplaned. The Mrs had not a jot of problem on the MPSS at the same speed. I know there are a lot of factors involved in something like this but a FWD 2L TDI Passat being driven sensibly shouldn't struggle in those conditions more than the Zed. I believe the main problem was that his car was running 3 different branded ditch finders and a winter tyre :(. I warned him to get them all changed. Thankfully he was fine but his car was written off.

Tyres are so important and even if youre driving something mundane in that time where there is extreme conditions - emergency braking for a hazard, terrible weather etc etc then decent tyres prove their worth. And lets be honest we cant avoid extreme conditions they happen to everyone.

Just my 2cents

Ed

This is very true i don't disagree with you at all to be fair.

Im just saying i bought my zed with in effect ditch finders i mean id be suprised if the tyres were 40 odd pounds each. But the car was well maintained with full history and a 2 owner car so i put it down to him moting it for the sale and banged cheapy tyres on it.

I had no problem at all with them when they were on there for general commuting ect with traction control on .

This doesn't mean id recommend fitting them at all and when they needed replacing they were (the rears so far) by a premium brand and so will the fronts when they need to be changed.

as others have said its an easy indicator of care for the car isn't it, if youre willing to put cheap tyres on the car then who knows what else you've cheaped out on in its care.

On the other hand, if you're selling a car and the tyres need replacing, are you going to throw £500 away on decent tyres or are you just going to chuck the cheapest solution at it? I understand your point if the ditchfinders are clearly well used and been on there a while, but if they're brand new it may not be as simple as "cheaped out on it's care" during ownership... then again, if they're not brand new, the seller may even have thrown some part worns at it just to sell it.

Just putting that out there. ;)

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1

I put part worns on the 911 before I flogged it :D

They were still N-rated PS2, but they were cheap like budgie.

Yeah but we all know how tight-fisted you are when it comes to tyres, always willing to compromise on quality just to save a few quid. :lol:

• Like 1

Budget-Mid range are good

But the likes of mpss are better by a long shot, if you don't drive it hard there is no need for them if you do you can't argue the likes of mpss are the way forward

I have ran some good mid range tyres and thought the car was good I then shelled out on mpss after talking with ekona and my God the difference is night and day there are corners I can take up to 20-30mph faster (within speed limit ;) ) confidently over the like of nexen falKen maxxis etc

And after all the only part of your car in contact with the ground are them little rubber rings

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

If you folks think that the Zed handles 'like on rails' on crappy tyres, then you're going to get a real shock when you put it on something decent. ;)

This isnt the case. When on a road going car can u really push the car. I bought mine with budgets on it which i assume the seller put onit to sell. The fronts are still on and ive since replaced the rears with pilot sports. My bmw always had pirellis on it and was very tail happy.

9 times out of 10 my 4 yr old is in my car with me and ive got no problem with the old or new tyres that were fitted to the carand if ur within the speed limits ive never had any problems.

I think in some cases its not the tyres its the drivers needing to learn how to drive the car properly.

Indeed it is. And, with all due respect, if you think that a car on crap tyres still handles like on rails then I would humbly guess that some learning may well be in order.

I know that sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be, but there's a lot of people on here who can seriously pedal and they will all tell you the same thing, that the tyres used make a hugely fundamental difference to the way a car handles. On the road you can't really push a car 10/10ths, but 8/10ths? Yeah, you can, and you'll still feel the difference. Only by driving at under 5/10ths do I personally believe you wouldn't notice any difference. If you only ever use a Zed (or any performance car, for that matter) in the same way that you'd use a Micra then you may not notice the difference in everyday driving. Well, except that the better tyres will last longer...

Where you will notice it is if you have an emergency caused by someone else being a d*ck. If you need to slam the anchors on, or take excessive evasion action, you may well find that those budget tyres cause you as much grief as the emergency itself. I don't just advocate the use of quality tyres for the sake of going quickly, I also do it for the sake of stopping quickly too.

Today I was driving through a country road, all of a sudden when you think there i no way they could not see me... he did not see me and i could smell the burning rubber as i slammed down the anchors.. quite interestingly as i came to a stop a magnetic rumble like something from IRON man could be heared from the front brakes.... long story short dick driver awesome stopping power and for such a heavy car.

I recently had to replace the two rear tyres after puncturing them both at the same time. It was running on Avon ZZ3 which to be fair were good tyres. However the only tyres I could get short notice were Bridgestone RE050 A. So far they have been ok if a little noisier but that's due to a stiffer side wall. Michelin pilot series tyres have always been my preferred choice on other cars as they combine good wet grip and are quieter overall.

I've also run Eagle F1s and Conti contact sports on previous BMWS which were also great tyres.

possibly because i am a @*!# driver but with the RE050 i cannot get the arse end out with TC off!!! on the twisty roads???? in the dry

i dont see reason to put people off lower brand tyres which within reason arnt every going to get used to there limits specially if its just on a simple commute.

If it takes another 10% more distance to come to a complete halt on the budgets, and that 10% is largely made up of the back end of a an artic ...........

There's no right or wrongs here all opinion.

Then thats not really right is it? ;)

• Like 1

Bah, rumbled! :lol:

*cuddles up to Nankang pillows*

Oi! Leave Nankangs alone!

Back on topic though, for anyone that says they lost in on a round about or a similar incident, you can't blame it on the tyres (Unless they're bold) It's down to the driver pushing it too hard or not knowing the cars limits.

Yes tyres, as Stevo says, will improve the speed you can take a corner, but at the same time - If you're driving normally, budget tyres are NOT going to kill you unless you drive like an idiot.

• Like 1

Bah, rumbled! :lol:

*cuddles up to Nankang pillows*

Oi! Leave Nankangs alone!

Back on topic though, for anyone that says they lost in on a round about or a similar incident, you can't blame it on the tyres (Unless they're bold) It's down to the driver pushing it too hard or not knowing the cars limits.

Yes tyres, as Stevo says, will improve the speed you can take a corner, but at the same time - If you're driving normally, budget tyres are NOT going to kill you unless you drive like an idiot.

Even if there bold or bald you can't blame tyres still the driver pushing a car beyond its limit

All modern tyres will stop in the stopping distance mentioned in the highway code and if you crash in to this 10% of arctic docwra mentions its not because your tyres are @*!# it because your a tailgater and sit way to close to the car in front and no expensive tires that will stop faster don't give you the right to sit closer

Edited by StevoD

Haven't time to read through all of this thread, it's sunny and that means it's time to drive the z. Don't comprise on your tyres, as a previous poster said. Make sure you look up openeo for tyres as I keep advising. Almost unbeatable for prices..

Make sure you look up openeo for tyres as I keep advising. Almost unbeatable for prices..

They're pretty good for prices; thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to be needing some new shoes soon, so is there any brand/type in particular that go well on Zeds? Reading reviews, it doesn't seem that the most premium tyres (Pirelli etc) are always the 'best' as plenty of people report good handling and economy with cheaper rubber. With previous cars it hasn't really been a consideration but with this I want to be able to go, stop and handle the way it should. The £110 Hankooks on Black Circles seemed the ticket, but that's a lot per tyre :lol: