Scotlands route 66....

nowhereboy

I organised a 10 day Car Trip in Scotland in 2011 for another Car Club, but we didn't get that far north. :blush:

Due to timings we missed off that section of Scotland, which I would love to both visit and drive. it looks stunning.

I love Scotland, one of my all time favorite of places.................

If only it was not so far from all the General Motorsport and Tracks that I can easily get to from Banbury area, I would have moved there years ago..............

As I live just 1 hour South of Inverness, this is virtually on my doorstep. :teeth:

I have done this complete route four times over the past ten years, twice clockwise and the other two times anti clock.

Prepare well and hope for good weather and you will have a trip of a life time. :#1:

We are planning to complete the same route again in 2016 but with the Motorhome this time. :yahoo:

Alex :)

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 2

Would love to do this route! did a Scotland roadtrip with my dad a few years back, but only got as far north as Fort William. problem is, you'd have to go in the height of summer, and even then it would still be raining 50% of the time.

shame its so far away really, wales need to do a similar thing with their excellent roads :)

Imho Scotland:

• Is stunningly beautiful if the weather is nice
  • Is outrageously expensive for hotels
  • Has roads which are narrow, rough, humped with narrow bridges and full of sheep and or caravans and where they're none of the above, don't offer a challenge at speeds below 80mph.

The first time I went I think you could get super unleaded at Ullapool and then again at Inverness. In 2014 you could get it at Kyle of Lochalsh.

And Wendy, I think you might find it better to go to the Black Forest from Banbury. Much better roads of all types in a very confined area. You could easily enjoy a week's driving there and it may be even closer than Scotland for you. :thumbs:

I did that route a few years back as a post honeymoon honeymoon. Brilliant trip which I will never forget

Mine was around 950 miles which we did in 4 days. Hired a c class for the long weekend

Scotland has some amazing parts but for me the northwest and north coasts are just amazing

Well worth the effort

Maybe it was the fact by the point we got to John'O groats my arse was #### from spending about 500 mile on a pedal bike. But my memory of anything North of Inverness was 'wind' 'rain' 'rubbish road surface' and more 'wind'....Wind was a big issue on the pedal bike :)

The high lands and Inverness was pretty, but to be honest when you could be in the Swiss Alps after 7-8hrs of driving from Calais, driving the same distance/time to be in Scotland just doesn't quite do it for me....

Did I mention that North of Scotland is windy :) Been there, got the photo (It looks nice and sunny, but it was definitely windy!!), no plans to head that North again, ever....

8934174533_aa36d6fb40_z.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Imho Scotland:

• Is stunningly beautiful if the weather is nice
  • Is outrageously expensive for hotels
  • Has roads which are narrow, rough, humped with narrow bridges and full of sheep and or caravans and where they're none of the above, don't offer a challenge at speeds below 80mph.

The first time I went I think you could get super unleaded at Ullapool and then again at Inverness. In 2014 you could get it at Kyle of Lochalsh.

And Wendy, I think you might find it better to go to the Black Forest from Banbury. Much better roads of all types in a very confined area. You could easily enjoy a week's driving there and it may be even closer than Scotland for you. :thumbs:

Thanks for this, Couldn't think where Black Forest was, so google maps, its Germany - of course ! !!

Much easier to get to for me, especially with some of my Nurburgring friends in Stuttgart.

I can see my next trip over including this. Oh yes !!! :thumbs:

Still love Scotland and will be back mind................

Edited by Wendy

Maybe it was the fact by the point we got to John'O groats my arse was #### from spending about 500 mile on a pedal bike. But my memory of anything North of Inverness was 'wind' 'rain' 'rubbish road surface' and more 'wind'....Wind was a big issue on the pedal bike :)

The high lands and Inverness was pretty, but to be honest when you could be in the Swiss Alps after 7-8hrs of driving from Calais, driving the same distance/time to be in Scotland just doesn't quite do it for me....

Did I mention that North of Scotland is windy :) Been there, got the photo (It looks nice and sunny, but it was definitely windy!!), no plans to head that North again, ever....

8934174533_aa36d6fb40_z.jpg

Three words: GROW A PAIR ;):)

• Like 2

Three words: GROW A PAIR ;):)

Is 'a' a word or a letter?! :O

Poooof, just blown your mind! :p