We need a grammer and spelling section on this forum!

Don't forget punctuation ... very important ;)

Don't you mean "Don't forget punctuation... very important" ;)

The grammatical sentence construction can be forgiven, but the extra space - never! :teeth:

ahh ! the space before an ellipsis debate ... check this out http:// http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm

Look at this forum! What it has become ... moderators being off topic, winding people up etc.

:lol: :lol:

FTFY

FTFY2

FTFY3

Please refer to post 52 above :p

I was initially going to let that go, but when Toon Chris made the same mistake as you, I felt I had to respond in my defence ... anyway, let's not fall out about it

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

Typos are fine, everyone has moments like that. What irks me is that every single person here born and bred in the UK spent at least 10 years being taught the basics of capital letters, full stops and sentences. They have absolutely no excuses for poor writing on here.

Fine, you don't get the use of colons or semi-colons, I can live with that. Missing the very basic of basics however is lazy to the point of contempt for your fellow forum users.

No-one's perfect (hell, check my posts and you'll often see an edited mark at the bottom), but it takes literally seconds just to double check what you've posted, and to make sure that it makes sense. There's very few people on here who have genuinely irritating posts these days, but the odd poster that slips through just makes me think they're rude.

I'm just a class 1 **** up all over on that front

• Like 1

Knew you'd bite ;)

Yeah, I admit I used to think you were a bit rude, but now I've just gotten used to your posting style and I 'get' you now and consider you a friend. Also you're like my pet project, and getting you into MPSS was just the start: Soon I'll have you posting like a proper grammar nazi :D

In that case Mr Octet you may wish to insert 'an' before 'abacus' and replace the unnecessary capital 'A' with its lower case counterpart. :)

I do agree with you though - the general standard of written English on here doesn't say much for our system of education or for people who like Japanese sports cars.

Ekona seems to have a good grasp of the language. It's just a shame he uses it to annoy everyone. ;)

• Like 1

"was" being used where "were" should be

interesting example.

Agreed it's gramatically OED type wrong. But it's SO common and frequently used by the people here I have figured it's up there same as having an accent or a type of regional slang.

Same with the greeting of 'orrite'

Also language also evolves so grammatical changes don't have a fixed rule for all variations.

I'll frequently try write a text in full emoticons, just like they did back in the days of the Pharaohs.

interesting example.

Agreed it's gramatically OED type wrong. But it's SO common and frequently used by the people here I have figured it's up there same as having an accent or a type of regional slang.

Also language also evolves so grammatical changes don't have a fixed rule for all variations.

I'll frequently try write a text in full emoticons, just like they did back in the days of the Pharaohs.

/Thread.

You lot don't talk/write like Shakespeare so don't moan at people who dont talk/write like you.

interesting example.

/Thread.

You lot don't talk/write like Shakespeare so don't moan at people who dont talk/write like you.

i don't get it

.is your moan at me or the other guy?

interesting example.

/Thread.

i don't get it

I'm saying your bang on :)

interesting example.

/Thread.

i don't get it

Neither mate, he's agreeing with you :lol:

• Like 1

interesting example.

/Thread.

i don't get it

I'm saying your bang on :)

You're :lol:

Only messin' ;)

• Like 2

I like to think of it as a talent.

IMO (for what it's worth), your command of the language is extremely good Dan but ... you appear to have made one glaring grammatical error in this thread; I wonder if anyone else has spotted it

interesting example.

You see, it's apathy like that which got "literally" re-defined to mean literally anything these days. :stir: