We need a grammer and spelling section on this forum!

I vote Octet for Grammatical Liaison Officer

Also if I could be bothered I would find the post picking Octet up for spelling in a post he made picking someone up on their spelling :p

But I really don't care that much :yawn:

• Like 2

As I said, I have an excuse, I did not go to school in UK (other than Cranfield School of Management) so I think I'm doing pretty well for a foreigner :lol: :lol:

I didn't go to school either, I was to busy doing more interesting things elsewhere ;)

As I said, I have an excuse, I did not go to school in UK (other than Cranfield School of Management) so I think I'm doing pretty well for a foreigner :lol: :lol:

I've been quietly following this thread, and whilst I won't usually pick anybody up on their grammar or spelling, I have to admire that you have learned English as a second language well enough to be able to spot mistakes.

Hats off for that :)

I've been quietly following this thread, and whilst I won't usually pick anybody up on their grammar or spelling, I have to admire that you have learned English as a second language well enough to be able to spot mistakes.

Yeah but he's a real pain in the butt :surrender:;)
  • Like 3

Yeah but he's a real pain in the butt :surrender:;)

Didn't say he wasn't :lol:

:lol:

I love keyboard warriors' date=' they make me chuckle, sad old/young (mainly old) men that sit at there computer/phone all day and pick faults on peoples posts as they have nothing better to do.[/size']

Heres a quick scenario for a keyboard warrior.

Walks in house after work (keep in mind hes been on forums all day on his smart phone) has a wash, sits down and surfs forums all night while mrs watches tv. No conversation just the odd chuckle every now and then lol thats for the rare keyboard warriors that dont still live with their mothers in basement.

Wait let ne spell check it........oh no actualy i have better things to do with my life -_-

Sent while im at work on my smartphone...hmmn wonder what mums cooking for tea biggrin.png

ok then my poor excuse is i'm a foreigner (having a higher education level from a 1st world english first language country) AND (more relevant to the subject: I'm lazy and also not too fussed about my or others grammar).

my opinion is let it go. I think everyone can make excuses here if they wanted to.

Most simple grammar doesn't bother me, like the error Keyser and myself made by placing an apostrophe where there shouldn't have been one. What does annoy me are these being used incorrectly:

your, you're

there, they're, their

where, were, we're (I find smartphones constantly balls up we're and were though)

"was" being used where "were" should be

I am far from perfect with my spelling and grammar by the way, so anyone who mixes ^ those ^ up, please don't be offended :p

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 1

Half the time - like the aforementioned apostrophe in the wrong place it's just using predictive text on the Ipad and not being bothered to change it.

I do know a certain Mod on here that gets really upset by brought and bought -I won't mention any names Neil so you will be fine ;)

I don't mind in the slightest if someone gets the grammar a bit wrong it is only a problem when sentences don't make any sense.

As said above, most of us don't read or spell check before hitting send so half the time these people that will insist on pointing out your mistakes are just pointing out that when you type fast you may spell a word wrong or the predictive text got it wrong on your part.

Personally I think it is more annoying to be told you made a minor mistake can you imagine having someone "perfect" over your shoulder all day saying "you got that wrong" or "you didn't want to do that" or "you spilled your tea on the floor" OMG what an idiot etc etc

We all make mistakes and to be fair this is a car forum if I wanted to improve my spelling and grammar I would have joined a literacy club :p

EDIT: The "OMG" was on purpose as no one had mentioned Text speech being annoying yet :lol:

EDIT EDIT: - Has or Had???? Best I join a literacy club after all :p:p:lol:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 3

Typos are fine, everyone has moments like that. What irks me is that every single person here born and bred in the UK spent at least 10 years being taught the basics of capital letters, full stops and sentences. They have absolutely no excuses for poor writing on here.

Fine, you don't get the use of colons or semi-colons, I can live with that. Missing the very basic of basics however is lazy to the point of contempt for your fellow forum users.

No-one's perfect (hell, check my posts and you'll often see an edited mark at the bottom), but it takes literally seconds just to double check what you've posted, and to make sure that it makes sense. There's very few people on here who have genuinely irritating posts these days, but the odd poster that slips through just makes me think they're rude.

Glad I've stirred some debate, but disappointed to see how many silly excuses from whom I'd imagine are people born, raised and educated in UK. :)

^^-----

Can the admins upgrade the Tapatalk module to the newest version to avoid bugs like this duplicate post?

:rant:

Edited by octet