The Cloud House in Wales

JetSet

Interesting story and some great pics have emerged recently about an abandoned farm house in Mid Wales that has been empty for at least 50 years and possibly longer. It's so remote that it hasn't been vandalised and would possibly be habitable with a good clean up and a few essential repairs as the roof and windows look to be in reasonable shape. It's not currently known who actually owns the property but photographs found inside suggest it was owned by an elderly couple who had no children to pass the house on to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2947363/Frozen-time-Inside-abandoned-Welsh-farmhouse-decades-old-photographs-collection-pocket-watches-coat-left-hanging-up.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-31410140

Pete

• Like 3

That place is amazing but sadly as said it's going to be ruined by people going there now.

Maybe, but what is termed as Mid Wales covers around 3-4,000 square miles and they haven't revealed the location. Jeez, even giving my address and postcode to Courier companies, not to mention several members on here :lol: they've found it pretty difficult to find me :surrender: .

Pete

• Like 1

That place is amazing but sadly as said it's going to be ruined by people going there now.

Maybe, but what is termed as Mid Wales covers around 3-4,000 square miles and they haven't revealed the location. Jeez, even giving my address and postcode to Courier companies, not to mention several members on here :lol: they've found it pretty difficult to find me :surrender: .

Pete

Let's hope it stays safe a little longer then , it's a real gem of a find.

Pete

Photographer has been named and you can almost guarantee he will have a Flickr or equivalent account which camera dependant may show gps coordinates if he's published the pictures there, others who have pictures may also have commented...

I haven't bothered looking but i bet it's possible.

Photographer has been named and you can almost guarantee he will have a Flickr or equivalent account which camera dependant may show gps coordinates if he's published the pictures there, others who have pictures may also have commented...

I haven't bothered looking but i bet it's possible.

I downloaded a couple of the photos and he seems to have removed everything except for the copyright. However, after reading some comments on a website there are some who think there's something up and the photos or at least some of them have been staged. For example the jacket hanging up looks brand new, I would have expected it to have dropped apart after 50 years. Or it is 50 years, there looks to have been some work done recently on the corner of the roof and that transistor ITT Radio is from the early 70's. The roof itself looks to be in incredible condition considering this house will be exposed to some terrible weather conditions being near the top of a mountain. There's a remote abandoned farm near here, it was abandoned in 1974, the roof collapsed around 15 years ago, there are trees growing inside the house and only the fact that the stone walls are several feet thick means that it actually looks like a farm house. Its only in the last 12 months that it was struck off the council tax register. Must get some photos, there's some really interesting stuff there!!

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I did think some of the stuff like the jacket etc didn't look dusty enough! Some of it looked posed but still wonderful if real. :)

The lack of house dust can possibly be down to the absence of dust mites that convert skin flakes to dust,I was thinking more along the lines of decay caused by moths and other insects :shrug:

Pete

I did think some of the stuff like the jacket etc didn't look dusty enough! Some of it looked posed but still wonderful if real. :)

The lack of house dust can possibly be down to the absence of dust mites that convert skin flakes to dust,I was thinking more along the lines of decay caused by moths and other insects :shrug:

Pete

Your right but houses gather dust from outside influences too.

I wandered over to the abandoned house today and took a few photos. This house was abandoned in 1974 and shows what 40 years of British weather can do. There is no longer road access to this house and its actually difficult to see where the road was. There was an electrical supply and a phone line but these have been removed about 10 years ago. While there are signs of human visitation most of the damage is weather related.

I do know something about why the house has been left to fall apart, in fact, the owners, twin brothers were in my class at school but I won't go into details. Here's the pics.

P1016376_zpsde64a79c.jpg

P1016382_zps3e740335.jpg

P1016383_zps1d5a875f.jpg

P1016377_zps0d11fadc.jpg

P1016380_zps182f6d04.jpg

P1016381_zps4ae3d50d.jpg

Recent Activity

P1016384_zpsabbe5476.jpg

Pete

I love abandoned house photos. The first one is just like a time capsule and the second one looks interesting too. My father used to drive an old lady to the shops every week and she lived in something similar, albeit much grander (Calke Abbey in Derbyshire). Dad said that the family, who I think all had varying degrees of Asperger's, used to fill rooms with stuff they'd collected and then lock the doors, never to go in again as far as he knew. He wasn't allowed into the rooms but used to look with fascination through the windows. It's in the hands of the National Trust now and they even have a forge set up where my grandfather used to work, shoeing their horses which they preferred to car. The lady's brother wouldn't allow my Dad (or any other car driver) to drive down to the house but wasn't averse to getting into Dad's car at the top of the drive apparently!!

I love abandoned house photos. The first one is just like a time capsule and the second one looks interesting too.

It's a shame its been allowed to get into that state. It's in a few acres of land and backs onto a stream, with a wood with several acres of farmland on either side of the house. Over the years I've had several people call in here enquiring if I knew who owned it and would they sell it. Those questions stopped about 10 years ago when the roof began to fall off :lol: . The house is in a green barrier area and the land alone would be worth a fair bit by now. It would be possible to get planning permission for complete renovation but I reckon you'd need fairly deep pockets...you'd have to rebuild the road to get access for a start. As I had my granddaughter with me I didn't do too much digging around but as you can see from the photos there has been some recent tree surgery with several piles of wood, logs and branches in fairly neat piles in the "garden". There's also a new fence gone up, partially surrounding the house since I last visited in December 2013 and most of the farming equipment (rusty and antique as it was) seems to have vanished.

Pete

I wandered over to the abandoned house today and took a few photos. This house was abandoned in 1974 and shows what 40 years of British weather can do. There is no longer road access to this house and its actually difficult to see where the road was. There was an electrical supply and a phone line but these have been removed about 10 years ago. While there are signs of human visitation most of the damage is weather related.

I do know something about why the house has been left to fall apart, in fact, the owners, twin brothers were in my class at school but I won't go into details. Here's the pics.

P1016376_zpsde64a79c.jpg

P1016382_zps3e740335.jpg

P1016383_zps1d5a875f.jpg

P1016377_zps0d11fadc.jpg

P1016380_zps182f6d04.jpg

P1016381_zps4ae3d50d.jpg

Recent Activity

P1016384_zpsabbe5476.jpg

Pete

Bit of MDF and that'll sell like a hot cake

Did 2 tours of the Falklands and as Martinmac will know, we kept a small garrison on South Georgia, the guys would get resupplied every 5-6 weeks from one of the duty RN vessels but sometimes the Merchants would go. The guys used to talk about the whaling sheds being abandoned as is with tools etc still looking at they were just dropped. No insects or dust. There had been some interference with Argentinian scrappers after metal which was one of the issues of the war. I did have the chance to go down so was planning my R & R for a day on the ground (4 days by Sea OW) Intention was to visit Shackleton's grave but there was an problem as had to switch nominated vessels from a support vessel (Stena Seaspread) to the HMS Leeds Castle which is tiny so lost my berth. Shame really it is on my list of lifes opportunities missed