A warning signs that can detect if a phone is being used in a car

WhackyWill

What a waste of time. People know it's illegal to use a phone, they'll just ignore it. Same thing with speed signs: You know the rule, but you do it anyway.

do you ........tut tut :nono::lol::blush:

Get so annoyed when I have to play guessing games at roundabouts because the driver to the right is trying to drive one-handed & chat on the phone. Having said that I have 3 cars with bluetooth phone and never bother to connect my iphone, but then I have it connected to the stereo instead...so I'm definitely not texting or making calls whilst driving :D Singing is still legal, right?

But more importantly.....how come Ekona and Ioneabee have got cool titles now? B) Can I have mine changed please.......

• Like 1

Get so annoyed when I have to play guessing games at roundabouts because the driver to the right is trying to drive one-handed & chat on the phone. Having said that I have 3 cars with bluetooth phone and never bother to connect my iphone, but then I have it connected to the stereo instead...so I'm definitely not texting or making calls whilst driving :D Singing is still legal, right?

But more importantly.....how come Ekona and Ioneabee have got cool titles now? B) Can I have mine changed please.......

They've both had these names for a very long time.

Ref the sign, what a load of old tosh. If you can't identify who's holding the phone, whether is hands free or not, they may as well stick a sign up saying it rained yesterday. Complete waste of money and potentially a distraction to motorists!!

• Like 1

You gotta earn a silly name, they don't give them out willy-nilly! ;):lol:

Actually though on topic, these signs where they highlight rule breaking are proven to work, more effectively, than things like speed cameras. People just slow for a speed camera then take off again as soon as they clear the lines in the road. These signs have a longitudinal effect in that they are literally telling all other road users that the driver of the car is speeding, you then find people adjust their speed down for a longer time after the sign compared to speed cameras.

That said, what an utter waste of time putting this up if it actually lights up when the driver is doing nothing wrong. Defeats the whole purpose, and the fact that its potentially a decade away can't even see why this is a news story?

Mobile phones constantly ping the network to maintain a signal. How are these magical detectors going to tell the difference between a few phones pinging networks or receiving a text message or even a call, and someone actually using the phone? If someone has their phone attached to the dash using it as a sat nav, is it going to know the difference?

This will never happen because it's not possible to decipher what the phone is doing without an invasion of privacy.

• Like 1

Is anyone else reading this on their phones while driving, or just me? :stir:

But yea this idea is dumb. I always have my phone connected by bluetooth and am very often streaming music from it. Would this show up? I'll have to give it a go when I'm next heading that way lol.

Edited by pjf1985
  • Like 1

"It is of course illegal to hold a phone while driving. But plenty of people still do it."

​The Cops here if you get pulled over or stopped as part of a random check will give you a ticket if your mobile is on the front passenger seat :surrender: I know of a couple of people who were done for this in the last month.

They cite that its a distraction being within arms length

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cycp-cpcj/dd-dv/index-eng.htm

"It is of course illegal to hold a phone while driving. But plenty of people still do it."

​The Cops here if you get pulled over or stopped as part of a random check will give you a ticket if your mobile is on the front passenger seat :surrender: I know of a couple of people who were done for this in the last month.

Surely if you phone is in your pocket it is also at arms length :p

Very dubious law that haha!

Very dubious law that haha!

yes it is, but what can you do . . Its also interesting that having a drink is on the list . . . 99% of Canadians when they get in their car, the first thing they do is go straight to Tim Hortons drive though for a coffee :shrug: Just about every person you see on the road has a Coffee with them.

You know what can detect if you are using your mobile phone whilst driving?

Actual real flippin' coppers, ...although I see less & less of them on the roads now unless that is that you count the one's sitting in a van trying to catch you speeding whilst you are stuck in 20mph traffic jams at 5 o'clock. :dry:

Definitely think we need more Police on the roads stopping people for things like; not having lights working, fog lights on when not necessary, right lane hogging, no turn signals, using mobile phones whilst driving, etc, etc.

• Like 2