lightened or single mass Vs Dual mass flywheels

MrChow

Hi guys.

Just after some of your opinions. I will probably be needing a new clutch in the Zed soon, and so in my bid to make the car drive 'better' than how nissan made it, im looking to get a lightened flywheel. Ive heard that you get chatter below 2000Rpm, but it allows the engine to rev alot faster. Have any of you had one of these fitted? Also can you recommend a clutch, ive heard exceedy are good. Any thoughts??

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Lots of people have them fitted, probably due to being cheaper more than lighter :lol:

What you have described is what you'll be getting. Noisy on idle and pootling about but does rev more freely.

Exedy clutches are fine, as are Competition Clutch :thumbs:

Edited by KyleR

Funny you should ask. I'm currently sat in the reception of Kaiser Motors having my less than 3 month old SMF and puck clutch removed.

The sounds isn't all that bad, but the two together make driving almost impossible at lower speeds. Traffic jams, towns and car parks are a nightmare for me at the moment. Flywheel chatter is one thing but the noises that you get when you try to slip the clutch, as you do when reverse bay parking for example just don't sound nice. Jumping around in traffic because again, you can't slip or part engage the clutch. Some of this bad behaviour may well be down to the 6 puck clutch, but not all of it.

I'd save up the extra pennies and do what I've done. Go for te OEM equivalent or a LUK DMF and Exeddy flywheel. If you have more pennies I'd spend them elsewhere ;)

I made a video and a topic somewhere in here that showed the relative noise comparison between the two. The noise as I say it ok really, just the difficulty driving really gets tiresome after a while.

Edited by cs2000

Got the ultralight flywheel and stage 5 from Competition Clutch and love it. Bit noisy on idle but car rev's faster, shifts faster and plus not say it half of the price of OEM clutch set. It is all matter of personal taste and feeling. For me problem are normal cars with normal parts as I can't get used if things are not stiff, hard, noisy and etc :D

Funny you should ask. I'm currently sat in the reception of Kaiser Motors having my less than 3 month old SMF and puck clutch removed.

The sounds isn't all that bad, but the two together make driving almost impossible at lower speeds. Traffic jams, towns and car parks are a nightmare for me at the moment. Flywheel chatter is one thing but the noises that you get when you try to slip the clutch, as you do when reverse bay parking for example just don't sound nice. Jumping around in traffic because again, you can't slip or part engage the clutch. Some of this bad behaviour may well be down to the 6 puck clutch, but not all of it.

That's 99% a clutch issue. Any 6 puck clutch is going to be like an on/off switch, and unless you're running serious power (500bhp) you've no need for something that harsh. Get them to leave the flywheel in if it's not too late!

• Like 3

very much depends on what you want out of the car, and your driving style, if your the kind of driver that likes to drive as if he is on track all the time then you will probably like a single mass FW, but if you prefer to use the torque and lazy power of the engine you will prefer the std dual mass FW, personally I have used both types on a number of cars, and wouldn't bother with the single mass, there horrible on a big lazy motor that docent like to scream through the RPM, if you want this you have probably bought the wrong car, and should be driving a type R. ;)

Couldn't disagree more. Aside from a bit of chatter at idle, and needing a fraction more gas when pulling away, there is literally no downside to a LWF on any engine. All it does is allow more power to be transferred to the drivetrain, which can never be a bad thing. On the V6 in the Zed, you can still use the torque as you're getting more of it to the wheels. :)

• Like 6

Couldn't disagree more. Aside from a bit of chatter at idle, and needing a fraction more gas when pulling away, there is literally no downside to a LWF on any engine. All it does is allow more power to be transferred to the drivetrain, which can never be a bad thing. On the V6 in the Zed, you can still use the torque as you're getting more of it to the wheels. :)

+1 - Love my SM-FW, (Granted it could be down to a different engine) It just drives so much better now, pulls a lot better and just all round feels better!
  • Like 1

+1 - Love my SM-FW, (Granted it could be down to a different engine) It just drives so much better now, pulls a lot better and just all round feels better!

+2

Fitting a lighter flywheel does not decrease your torque or the ability to use it, quite the opposite!

Excellent. Thank you folks, i think the majority of you seem to like the set-up. Am thinking an Exedy clutch and SMF is the way to go. As for the chatter, theres a dial on my stereo that should eliminate it 😂

I have just fitted theXtreme Clutch from Clark Motorsport and am really happy with the improvement its made on throttle response. It does have a little chatter at low revs but its worth it for the way it now drives. Give Ewen a call at Clark Motorsport and he will sort you out.

Dan, didn't see the post in-time and its all been swapped to a more OEM spec which I like. I have immediately noticed the loss of such a free rev, but its worth it for getting driveability back IMO. Always wondered whether its the clutch or the Flywheel, ut there we go.

Gopt a Driftworks Superfly SMF for sale now if anyone wants it lol, around 1500 miles done on it. With or without the XTD 6 puck Stage 2 clutch.

@Bodyboarder81 - Its not that it gives more BHP or anything. Its that the engine is using less of its available power spinning up a heavy weight. If the weight is lighter that small amount of extra power not required to spin up the flywheel is just sent to the wheels. It does make a noticeable difference.

I thought the 'lightweight' SNF was pretty heavy, but then I got the new DMF. I didn't try very hard but I could barely lift the DMF out of its box...

Edited by cs2000

I struggle to see how a lightened fly can get more hp to the wheels ? Am I missing something?

To move an object requires force, the heavier the object the more force required. The engine uses energy to move the flywheel, so the lighter you can make that flywheel the more energy can be transferred to the driven wheels.

You don't actually make any extra power, you just let more of it get to the wheels. :)

Dan, didn't see the post in-time and its all been swapped to a more OEM spec which I like. I have immediately noticed the loss of such a free rev, but its worth it for getting driveability back IMO. Always wondered whether its the clutch or the Flywheel, ut there we go.

Gopt a Driftworks Superfly SMF for sale now if anyone wants it lol, around 1500 miles done on it. With or without the XTD 6 puck Stage 2 clutch.

@Bodyboarder81 - Its not that it gives more BHP or anything. Its that the engine is using less of its available power spinning up a heavy weight. If the weight is lighter that small amount of extra power not required to spin up the flywheel is just sent to the wheels. It does make a noticeable difference.

I thought the 'lightweight' SNF was pretty heavy, but then I got the new DMF. I didn't try very hard but I could barely lift the DMF out of its box...

Put a proper for sale advert up please :)

It all depends what you use the car for MrChow, all opinions above are valid. If its a daily I wouldnt want anything other than oem, if its a weekend toy with track use perhaps light fly but unless your chasing big power/forced induction I wouldnt go near an uprated clutch.

A lot of good points made in this thread, we sell 20 plus clutch and flywheel combos a month and the majority go for the single mass flywheel and are very happy with their decision.

Its also worth mentioning that a dual mass flywheel will wear out and require replacement normally when a clutch is due.

Years ago cars didn't have DMF and we got on fine, in my opinion the SMF benefits far outweighs the small amount of chatter you will get at low RPM

• Like 1

Theres no right or wrong choice its just a question of personal taste, DM is designed to take some of the shunt/shock out of the drive train, it just smooths out some of the shocks that are transmitted through the car, on a slower revving engine with plenty of torque IMO it always feels better to keep the DMF, but on a smaller high revving engine with less output a SMF would make things feel more directly connected and help build RPMs quicker.

on a smaller high revving engine with less output a SMF would make things feel more directly connected and help build RPMs quicker.

But that's exactly the same result as you get with a bigger engine. Given that the DE redlines anywhere from 6500 to 7500, I wouldn't call that particularly low revving. It's not a diesel! :lol:

That said, I do agree with you that it's down to personal choice. As a rule for a road car, I'd go for the lightest flywheel you can but a clutch that is rated at maybe 10% above OEM capacity. Keeps it light and easy to drive that way.

• Like 2