Help with promotion problem

newkid

Hey guys, just thought i would run this by you guys to get some opinions. I recently applied for an internal promotion in a different department of the business i work for. After much deliberation and back and forth arguing between the department managers i have been denied the promotion by my current manager because he "doesnt have anybody to replace me" and he doesnt want to lose me. The move would have been a big career move for me with more money an much better prospects. Im very dissappointed and feel deflated by it to the point im considering leaving the company. Is there anything i can do to fight this ? Any opinions welcome.

Thanks

Constructive dismissal ?? Does your company have an HR department ?

I doubt your existing manager can prevent you from applying ... have you applied in writing or just said you'd be interested ? Just go for it and see what happens before you burn any bridges

• Like 2

I'd voice what you've just said to be honest. That they either lose you to another department, or lose you completely to another company. I'm sure they'd rather the former.

I think this is your main option however it depends on your age and circumstance. I'm risk adverse and sometimes wish I'd gone alone years ago however I've also been fortunate that ive been moved between groups even without me showing an interest.

I know that's not much help but good luck!

• Like 1

Constructive dismissal ?? Does your company have an HR department ?

I doubt your existing manager can prevent you from applying ... have you applied in writing or just said you'd be interested ? Just go for it and see what happens before you burn any bridges

I applied officially in writing, i informed my manager of the decision who told me ok but makesure its what you want. I then had an interview and had to do a presentation. After the new manager said i was wanted my current manager said no im not going !

Thanks for the comments, to be honest im absolutely furious with the management and how they went about dealing with it but is leaving too hasty ? Im aware im in a good well paid position i might struggle to find elsewhere.

Thought about speaking to your potential new manager about how you feel he has let you down by not fighting for you?

Thats just it. He has been fighting to the point he is now even trying to get me into a secondment with that department.

Thought about speaking to your potential new manager about how you feel he has let you down by not fighting for you?

Thats just it. He has been fighting to the point he is now even trying to get me into a secondment with that department.

Take the secondment, that means they have to keep your old job open for you ... it's a win win situation

Take the secondment, that means they have to keep your old job open for you ... it's a win win situation

I would gladly but again my boss is denying it. Whats worse is i have had no valid reason as to why i cant go. Simply i have nobody trained to replace you! Thats not a valid reason. If i decided to leave ..you still would have nobody.

Extremely poor man management, how does he think your motivation levels will respond to being held back in this way? It's short sighted and counter productive.

I'd be speaking to the new manager and making your feelings clear. Perhaps suggesting you would help in the recruitment process for any successor, as well as a facilitating a decent length handover period?

Good luck bud.

• Like 1

Your current boss sounds like he's being a c@ck, but this could also be a test for you,

Why don't you get both your current boss and potential new boss in a room together. Then run through the difficulties yourself with them.

Something like the following.

Clearly I'm a valued member of my current team, there's a potential skills shortage if you leave that post. This might pose a risk to that department, which would be unacceptable to the business. Your current boss has seen this risk ( so makes him not look like a c@ck) and has concerns.

You have thought about this concern and think there is a solution, if current and new boss agree to it. They (as in the business) select an internal candidate or hire a new candidate over the next month (by end of Feb). Once they have the new person, you will train then and up-skill them through March.

At the end of March, effectively at the end / beginning of the financial year. You will move in to your new role with the new boss, leaving a trained person in your current role. You will also offer to mentor that person for a period of three months.

If these bosses are any good have any management skill they will seriously consider this offer. If your old boss refuses I would then say ok, just thought this would be a great solution for the business.

You will however know that you tried to propose a great solution. You I'll know you've tried to do the right thing. You will also then be totally free within your own mind (as in no regrets) about starting to look seriously for alternative employment.

When you find a new opportunity, you can grab it with both hands with no guilt at all.

• Like 1

Not sure of the business you work in, or the size, but you should be consulting HR as a first port of call. If you do not have a HR team usually there will be a HR call line you can use that the company will outsource that work to. Understand where you are in terms of that respect so you know your actual rights in the situation within your company.

I would also then start to work towards a resolution, your boss has thrown down a spectacularly large gauntlet of stupidity (apologies if you get on, I just was utterly dumbfounded when reading your post) in effect saying 'you are going nowhere, never promoted, never moving' which will ultimately be counter productive to their goal to keep you in a role they believe is so important and irreplaceable.

On that note, no disrespect to you, but no one is irreplaceable there will always be someone else that can do our jobs if we ever left and companies rarely collapse because one person leaves (maybe in the exception of a CEO type character that is part of the branding of the business). What your boss is saying clearly is nonsense.

In short, it is in the best interest of you, your boss and the company you all work for to find a resolution that works for all, if you agree to give longer notice period for instance to allow for recruitment of your replacement and a handover period that would probably land quite well? If you have already tried that and failed, then I suggest another company with a more employee focused policy set is the way to go!

• Like 1

If you work in a small company with no HR, then simply hand in your 2 week notice and start your new job after that ;)

Your potential new manager clearly wants you in his team, so he could well agree to it.

As you have already been given loads of advice, the main thing I would say is - Be Careful not to cut off your nose to spite your face.

You do not want to be to be main loser in all his and just leaving with nothing to go to would be doing this in my opinion.

Look for another company and apply for a job at least two levels higher than your current.

If you are successful then you have the pleasure of informing your company that their competitors are savvy enough to recognise your potential.

I speak from experience !

• Like 1