House buying advice please.

HEADPHONES

When buying a house and getting a mortgage, I believe the banks require you to pay for a solicitor to act on their behalf as well as me needing to pay for one to act on my behalf.

Is there any disadvantage in going for the option whereby I go with the bank's appointed solicitors to represent both me and my bank?

Logistically I can see the advantage especially as I have no solicitor I know/trust in particular.

The sellers solicitor was useless.! :surrender:

That's what our solicitor told us, but it actually turned out to be ours that was dicking about with things and blaming it on the other side. Once we started calling them everyday, they suddenly got things moving for us...

You will definitely need your own as they will hopefully advise on anything dodgy that arises in the searches / deeds etc.

Afaik you won't be able to use the same solicitor as it would be classed as a conflict of interest.

Wrong. You can't have the same solicitor as the vendor. We used the banks solicitor which saved us a few quid until we had completed out questionnaire and our solicitor then informed us they couldn't represent us as they were representing the vendor so all three of us wanted to use the same one.

I spoke to them and arrange we would use a different branch and a different conveyer whic they agreed could b done.

IF I did it again I'd speak to Sarnie first as someone else has said :thumbs:

Oh and they are all as bad as each other dragging their feet and various stages.

• Like 1

You just need ONE conveyancer (solicitor). They handle everything.

Whatever you do, GET A LOCAL ONE. Have someone who has a local office you can walk into and speak to someone face to face. Even if it costs you a couple of hundred quid more, trust me when I say it's more than worth it!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

I live 5 mins walk from the estate agents and a few solicitors on the high street.

I have phoned the agent asking which of the local ones they'd recommend.

Hopefully I won't need to constantly pop in to move them along.

When they ring on Monday I'll see if there are any bad reviews of the ones they suggest.

Edited by HEADPHONES

There are incompetent solicitors out there, believe me, I've had a GUTFULL of them. :yuck:

Go off a recommendation if possible, but from friends or family, not an estate agent as they maybe in cahoots with each other.

Get testimonials from people who have used them, or it may all end in tears.

Whatever happens they will bleed you dry. :evil:

Good luck by the way :thumbs:

LMFAO.

doesn't look like anyone has had a good solicitor experience.

and a +1 to that from me, I took one a friend and her sister both used and they drove me crazy.

I think the key is to chase them constantly to get them to move it on and get past their poor excuses.

I'm sure it's their thing and they win a prize or something if they break their client, they were that close to achieving their goal there with me.

good luck

Must say, my current conveyancer has been excellent, but then it's been a relatively straightforward sale and purchase so I'd expect nothing less.

My last one was a nightmare though, so I know how difficult they can be. The difference has really been that we chose someone local who seemed very professional from day one, and it's paid off.

Currently going through the house buying experience. It's fu#*ing horrible. Been lied to left right and centre and on verge of either pulling out of buying this house or sacking our solicitor as they are absolutely garbage. Unanswered emails for over a month is just the start of it.

It should have been the easiest house purchase ever and it's turning into hell!!!

Good luck :)

We are in a similar situation at the moment. Our house went on the market this morning.

We have already reserved a new build property so fingers crossed ours sells quickly.

we are in an identical situation, having reserved a new build, been on the market 3 weeks. Just excepted an offer this afternoon. Now I just have to stress until the exchange of contracts then its all good.
  • Like 1

I used the solicitor recommended by the estate agent for my sale and purchase. My reasoning being that they will act quickly for the estate agent and not drag their heals as they do work for them all the time. And they were great. The purchasers solicitor appeared to be shite until we found out it was the purchaser mucking about. You can check their price is competitive if your worried about that.

All came good in the end just try and stay calm.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

When buying a house and getting a mortgage, I believe the banks require you to pay for a solicitor to act on their behalf as well as me needing to pay for one to act on my behalf.

Is there any disadvantage in going for the option whereby I go with the bank's appointed solicitors to represent both me and my bank?

Logistically I can see the advantage especially as I have no solicitor I know/trust in particular.

Only a very small number of lenders require you to pay for the banks representation too and even then it's usually only if your chosen Solicitor isn't on their approved panel!

My Current list of hated people;

1) Estate Agents

2) Traffic Wardens

3) Solicitors

And I have to deal with 2 out of the 3 every day!?!?

and with regards to solicitors we had a very easy process with the last conveyancer and we're going with the recommended one this time from the new build place due to discount offered and the fact they have done most of the properties there and are known to be quick.

• Like 1

Ooooh swanky

get alot more for your money in comparison to places like woodbridge and wickham market. we've had to move further out to get the space we need for the family. but the area is on the up. waitrose has moved in to the area so it can;t be bad.