House buying advice please.

HEADPHONES

and with regards to solicitors we had a very easy process with the last conveyancer and we're going with the recommended one this time from the new build place due to discount offered and the fact they have done most of the properties there and are known to be quick.

Same here. Keeping it all under one roof so they should always know at what stage of the process we are at. And the discount of course :)

When you get to the stage of completing the conveyancing documentation.

Make sure you speak to them about the differences between registering the property with the land registry as either beneficial joint tenants or tenants in common

There are incompetent solicitors out there, believe me, I've had a GUTFULL of them. :yuck:

Go off a recommendation if possible, but from friends or family, not an estate agent as they maybe in cahoots with each other.

Get testimonials from people who have used them, or it may all end in tears.

Whatever happens they will bleed you dry. :evil:

Good luck by the way :thumbs:

Don't get me started.... we would not have our current house if it wasn't for me being diligent and not easily deterred, as we bought a property 160 miles away we thought it would be prudent and convenient to use one of the lager local solicitors to handle things as it was a straightforward cash buy........how wrong we where!

Daft bugger miss read the covenant that was on the property and if I hadn't done my own detective work, and the dam solicitors, we would have had to have pulled out of the buy, the galling thing was that we still had to pay them!

You just need ONE conveyancer (solicitor). They handle everything.

Whatever you do, GET A LOCAL ONE. Have someone who has a local office you can walk into and speak to someone face to face. Even if it costs you a couple of hundred quid more, trust me when I say it's more than worth it!

Agreed but it can't be the same one as the vendor which we found out the hard way. The bank recommended one and if we used them it would cut down cost however unbeknown to us and the bank the vendor had already instructed them to act on their behalf.

We all wanted them as they seemed to be the best local firm however they had a different branch which after discussions they agreed we could use as there was sufficient separation not to become a conflict of interest but it was 60 miles away so we lost the ability to walk in at short notice.

That's what I was unsuccessfully trying to say in my rushed original reply. :)

I can't say I have had that much trouble with solicitors a few little hiccups and the odd delay as they are playing golf or whatever it is solicitors do after 1pm (as it ain't working in the office) :lol:

As Dan said get a local if you can my mum used one of these online companies when she sold her house after she got ill and they were no where near as good, lots of delays and all you can do is phone - of course when you phone "the person you need to speak to is busy/on the phone/out of the office/off sick" (delete as applicable) not any real problem just a bit slow and they did miss one thing from the questionnaire which annoyed mum - why send one out with all the questions if your not going to read :rant:

Anyway - Good Luck :thumbs:

@ Humpy - Your house buying saga will be made into a film one day. :p:lol: