Can I sue ? Photos added post 23

ATTAK Z

Got a puncture on Sunday in the local shop car park ... very congested and some very deep potholes due to lack of maintenance - result ? two new tyres at a total cost of £400.00

As above, can I claim recompense from the shop owner ?

Edited by ATTAK Z

Any landowner is under a duty to take reasonable care to ensure that his visitors are reasonably safe under Occupiers Liability Act 1957. So, yes, you can sue whoever owns the carpark in question.

I don't think so - it's private land .......... you drive over it at your own risk

You never go anywhere entirely at your own risk. There is always at least some duty of care, even to trespassers and burglars. Wheher it is a good thing or not is a different matter, but this is how English law is.

• Like 2

Any landowner is under a duty to take reasonable care to ensure that his visitors are reasonably safe under Occupiers Liability Act 1957. So, yes, you can sue whoever owns the carpark in question.

I don't think so - it's private land .......... you drive over it at your own risk

You never go anywhere entirely at your own risk. There is always at least some duty of care, even to trespassers and burglars. Wheher it is a good thing or not is a different matter, but this is how English law is.

Thanks Comrade ... was hoping you or Dan would pick this up

To win the claim here you need to prove 2 things:

1. That the landowner did not perform his duty to an acceptable standart. Basically, this boils down to whether the condition of the carpark was so bad that it was not safe to use.

2. That your puncture was caused by the condition of the carpark.

So is it a case of a written communication claiming compensation to start with ?

You can call them or visit them in person if you like. If they will not cooperate then you need to get a letter from them rejecting your claim, so called 'deadlock letter'. Then you can sue.

By the way, did you actually puncture both tyres, or only one and decided to replace the other just to keep the wear even?

I assume you ask because even if the shop admitted liability/he won the case, it'd only be for one tyre?

Only being devils advocate mate but how the hell did you puncture a tyre on a pot hole at car park speeds? Did it rip it open or something?

I was thinking the same, surely you'd have to hit the pot hole some whack to puncture a tyre, unless of course there was something sharp in it/around the edge.

That sounds like it'd be difficult to prove but best of luck with it. Worth a try. I'd get lots of pics of the offending articles in advance of sending a letter before they can do anything about it if they wanted to.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Again, I agree 100% with Comrade on this.

Do you have any proof that the potholes caused both punctures, i.e. you had someone come out to repair both tyres on the spot as you couldn't drive the car? I'm thinking that unless you have that, any claim could fail as they will simply say that the car park was very busy (by your own admission) and no-one else suffered punctures that day, so on the balance of probabilities you got the punctures somewhere else.

At least, that's what I'd say if I was them.

• Like 1

Only being devils advocate mate but how the hell did you puncture a tyre on a pot hole at car park speeds? Did it rip it open or something?

It slipped off the edge of a concrete diveway into a large pothole which had been bitmac surfaced ... this sliced the inside wall of the tyre

• Like 1

Id be amazed if you got anywhere with this TBH, if you drove off the edge of the driveway then that would probably be the argument as to what caused the punctures. Like Ekona says, if there were 5 of you with punctures you might have more luck but if youre the only one ...........

It slipped off the edge of a concrete diveway into a large pothole which had been bitmac surfaced ... this sliced the inside wall of the tyre

Christ.

As with the others mate. I doubt you'd get anywhere without a ruckload of evidence.

Very little chance of successful legal action (which would be a county court claim aka 'small claims court').

However, nothing to lose from writing a polite letter explaining what happened and asking them to compensate you. If they say "no" you've lost half an hour and the cost of a stamp.

OK guys here are the photos which will perhaps explain better:

Entrance to car park - I parked about where the Seat is in this photo

IMG_1027_zpsf45e8c36.jpg

Did my shopping ( two bottles for £10), I then backed into the position shown on this photo preparing to exit

IMG_1028_zps7f9ff1d3.jpg

Offending pothole can now be clearly seen to the side of the concrete in the centre of this photo

IMG_1029_zpsfcaa76ba.jpg

Detail of pothole with tape showing depth

IMG_1030_zpsd2e24297.jpg

next photo shows a close up of the tape and the edge of the concrete where the front tyre slipped off as I was exiting the car park

IMG_1031_zpsf88767c4.jpg